Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2017 HRV EX-L Navi

Just bought this used two weeks ago as a Honda certified car. So far it’s ok but must admit I’m less than thrilled.
Does anyone know where can get a service manual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 02:06 PM
spacewrangler

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 72
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Why are you less than thrilled? Did the dealer offer you a test drive?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
BobB

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
(Thread Starter)
Yes, I took it on a test drive. IMHO test drives are next to worthless, but I drove it a few miles and it was fine. Itís still fine, but there are a number of things I wish Iíd realized or noticed before deciding to buy.

For one thing, there is next to no place to put anything such as pair of glasses, loose change, stuff. I traded a 2009 Corolla and it had so much more places to stash stuff, including a overhead eyeglass compartment. My daughter has a Buick Encore, about the same size, and it has tons more front dear storage areas than the hrv.

Iíve never driven a CVT car before so maybe Iíll get used it, but I find the transmission to be noisier than Iím used to, and it seems to have a low growling sound at times. The car has only 18k on it, so maybe thatís just normal. Iíd like to check the transmission fluid but IĎm a bit reluctant to pull it myself, plus the dealer supposedly did their 182 point certification check. However I found all tires over inflated by about 8 psi, and the spare donut tire at 30 psi when should be 60, so not very confident in how conscientiously the dealer checked anything. Also it doesnít look to me like the check plug has ever had a wrench on it.

The doors are all very stiff for some reason and itís annoying. Iíve tried squirting a little lubricant in the hinge areas but that made no difference at all. Itís s small thing but noticeable every time I open or close the doors. And Iím finding the rear door handles to be inconvenient and awkward now that Iím using them regularly. If there is supposed to be some advantage to the placement of these door handles over the conventional, I have yet to appreciate it.

I really am concerned that Iím unable to find any service manual anywhere for this car. I never owned any Honda before so donít know if thatís just the way it is with all models or just this model. There was plenty of info for the Corolla and I did lots of minor repairs and maintenance myself over the years. Now Iím afraid Iíll be dependent on the Honda dealer for practically everything. Even checked AllData and no luck there either.

Like I said, itís fine. Maybe a little buyerís remorse because Iím not sure it was my best choice. Wish I could have kept it for a test day or two rather than just a few minutes test drive. On the other hand, if I get half as many miles out of it as the Corolla (230,000), and it is as reliable I wonít have anything to complain about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 09:15 PM
Einz

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 394
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Don't know if they actually have a paper version anymore?

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx
post #5 of 9 Old 04-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Phalkon30

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1446
Likes (Received): 306
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Garage
Stiff doors, yeah my rears are a little harder to open than they should be. I've used heavy duty sea foam lube on the hinges, it helps for a while.

Door handles? Tricks people the first time they get in but you get used to it. Maybe for aerodynamics?

Can't comment on the CVT, but there have been a few reported failures on the forums here. To me though, 5 reports in 3 years.... I wouldn't be too concerned. If it's under warranty though have them look, or better yet ask to test drive one off the lot and see if it growls the same (now that you're used to yours)

Storage space should be improved, the Honda Fit (which this is based off of) has much more thoughtful space. That said... The bottom cavern under the shifter is actually pretty useful and I don't miss the space I used to have in my last car. I probably just have less junk with me now

Maintenance? With the electronic minder system I just follow what it says and then do my own routine inspections. There is a YouTube video for anything now

In the end I know I bought an economy car with pretty incredible features for the price. Call me an apologist, but a few minor things aside I really love this car. Hopefully you'll learn to as well.

2016 HR-V EX 6MT - Purchased 4/14/16.

Behold: The Ninja Turtle
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes
Likes Dammit, Gizmogal liked this post
post #6 of 9 Old 04-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Gizmogal

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 410
Likes (Received): 224
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I had the misfortune to get a bad transmission when I bought the car new. It leaked and would most likely eventually fail, though it had no performance issues when I had it’s leaky condition looked at under warranty. The dealer replaced the transmission with a new one with only 2,406 miles on the odometer. I’ve put another 1200 mikes on it since the new tran was installed and that tran installation proved to be clean, dry and perfect when I had it on the lift recently for an oil change. Glad to feel optimistic again.

In spite of early ownership worries and a reason then to doubt my judgment in purchasing an HRV, I am convinced of its reliability now and consider my transmission experience an anomaly, not typical. I like the car very much. It holds a lot of cargo in versatile ways, it’s very fuel efficient, it looks good, it’s easy to park in tight city spaces, and it’s comfortable. I’d like more convenient small stuff storage, a locking glove box or a console bin that locks, but I knew about that before I bought it.

It’s a good little car, priced right, and I enjoy driving it and taking good care of it. A big part of happiness is just being satisfied with what you’ve got.

~~~~ _/) ~~~~

Pearl White 2017 EX AWD 4/8/17
post #7 of 9 Old 04-15-2019, 04:37 PM
HRVWannabe

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 7
post #8 of 9 Old 04-16-2019, 07:08 AM
scott

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 31
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm thinking a little more research might have helped you avoid any buyer's remorse. The HRV isn't perfect but it's very good at many things.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes
Likes car4sooznd, Glen e liked this post
post #9 of 9 Old 04-17-2019, 09:44 PM
saintpete

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use my HR-V only for in-town travel now, because I was stranded in it while on a trip at 19,000 miles, and had to call Honda Roadside Service 8 times in order to get back home. I had taken the car to the dealer, since the "check engine" light was on and off for several days, and they assured me everything was fine. Recently, the tailgate release button was not functioning, and, at 32,000 miles, it took four trips to the dealership and $400 to have it replaced. It's my last of six Hondas. I think they're poorly made, and not worthy of the Honda brand.