Honda HR-V Forum banner

My HRV is rusting. Honda says not covered by their 5 year unlimited on corrosion.

13K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  123CBMomma 
#1 ·
Take a look at my video here showing the rust.

https://youtu.be/1p24wNRlh8I

Honda told me that this would be covered under the 3 year 60k warranty, but that ran out on me a few months ago. This is not covered by the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

This is unacceptable for a japanese car. I will not be recommending another Honda product.

Is this happening to you? Watch out!

#3 · (Edited)
Rust from the outside is never really part of the warranty. From any manufacturer. At least the ones I worked for (Porsche, Bmw, Honda) And based on the fact we haven't really had any of those posts here before, it Has to be an exterior contamination or customer interaction.This would be a fairly easy fix for a body shop , they wouldn't have to repaint the entire door, sand down all all the rust , possibly fill with some epoxy primer/filler and repaint. I would then wait 30 days for the paint to outgas , and then do every edge with some XPEL paint protection film.

That being said, some of the paint coming out of specific plants for Honda is really bad. The HRV is some of the thinnest clearcoat I've worked with as a detailer/tech.

#4 ·
I feel your pain and hope Honda will fix it. I just bought a 2016 Honda HRV and I love it except for the peeling paint!

I had a lovely guy come by today to give me an estimate to fix a sizable 2" x 2" paint chip on the roof. He said "look Id love to take your $ and hate to drive out here for nothing, but this is a Honda defect and they really should fix it since the car is barely 3 years old". He also pointed to other areas where chipping was starting and would get worse.

I said are you sure its not wear and tear? he said no way. this is a defective paint job.

Im taking it to a Honda dealer tomorrow but I suspect they will give me a bunch of the same BS they are giving you...that you somehow caused it.

Such a bummer because otherwise Im in love w/ the car and would keep buying it forever (although I have a manual and have yet to even try the CVT transmission--I have a feeling that will be a dealbreaker for me)

Im guessing there will be a class action lawsuit re the paints on the HRV but because they just came out in 2016 theyre aren't enough people yet, but Ill be first in line to join!

#7 ·
that you can simply care for by getting it taken care of by some one who details, or a repair shop.

looks like that will happen to anyone who neglects to wax a car, or touch up paint, you can get some grit sand paper and spray paint for the car, and mask the edging and fix it before it gets to be real rust. that is not bad at all. I wax the car after you touch it up a month later and happy detailing

FISH

#9 ·
that you can simply care for by getting it taken care of by some one who details, or a repair shop.

looks like that will happen to anyone who neglects to wax a car, or touch up paint, you can get some grit sand paper and spray paint for the car, and mask the edging and fix it before it gets to be real rust. that is not bad at all. I wax the car after you touch it up a month later and happy detailing

FISH

Still looks pretty bad to me for a 3 year old car. I had a white 1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon I bought used - had it for over 9 years- it wasn't kept in a garage and had no rust. I never waxed the car and only took it to automatic car washes. Seems like you would not need to baby a car so much to keep the paint intact.

#13 ·
Take a look at my video here showing the rust.

Honda told me that this would be covered under the 3 year 60k warranty, but that ran out on me a few months ago. This is not covered by the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

This is unacceptable for a japanese car. I will not be recommending another Honda product.

Is this happening to you? Watch out!
I'll never own another one either. My HRV is rusting on both front doors. The hood of my car is rusting on the inside and outside ( perforation) in 2 places and my car is only 6 years old. Honda won't do a thing since it is over 5 years. What a piece of junk. Shame on them for not attending to this issue that affects so many customers. Once I replace the hood and fix the doors it's going. Other car manufacturers have far better customer service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.