My HRV is rusting. Honda says not covered by their 5 year unlimited on corrosion. - Honda HR-V Forum
Likes Likes:  4

post #1 of 12 Old 04-05-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
jack.spratski

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My HRV is rusting. Honda says not covered by their 5 year unlimited on corrosion.

Take a look at my video here showing the rust.

https://youtu.be/1p24wNRlh8I

Honda told me that this would be covered under the 3 year 60k warranty, but that ran out on me a few months ago. This is not covered by the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

This is unacceptable for a japanese car. I will not be recommending another Honda product.

Is this happening to you? Watch out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Dammit

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 169
Likes (Received): 365
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
I will try to be as fair and impartial as I can in saying this. Honda's warranty states "Rust Perforation Limited Warranty all exterior body panels are covered for rust-through from the inside for the specified time period with no mileage limit." When I watched your video what I see is that the edge of your tailgate is knicked up quite a bit. You are storing a stroller in there, and a few other things. Normal stuff, but it also looks like there has been repeated dings against the side of that tailgate. Those nicks in the paint are what have allowed rust to form. So, this isn't coming from the inside. I can see Honda's point.

I'd recommend you reach out to a good body shop, or detailer to see if they can first buff out the rust and then perhaps just add a quick clear coat over the affected areas. @Glen e here is great with detailing recommendations and may have other ideas as to how to remedy this and stop the rust progression.
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Likes
Likes car4sooznd, Phalkon30, Gizmogal liked this post
post #3 of 12 Old 04-05-2019, 11:34 AM
Glen e

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 217
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Rust from the outside is never really part of the warranty. From any manufacturer. At least the ones I worked for (Porsche, Bmw, Honda) And based on the fact we haven't really had any of those posts here before, it Has to be an exterior contamination or customer interaction.This would be a fairly easy fix for a body shop , they wouldn't have to repaint the entire door, sand down all all the rust , possibly fill with some epoxy primer/filler and repaint. I would then wait 30 days for the paint to outgas , and then do every edge with some XPEL paint protection film.

That being said, some of the paint coming out of specific plants for Honda is really bad. The HRV is some of the thinnest clearcoat I've worked with as a detailer/tech.

Glen / Ft Lauderdale
'18 EX-L / Yam '18 Xmax
Mods so far: Lloyds mats/Nighteye LED Headlights & fogs/Honda OEM optional Wheels/Brakes painted red/BT batt monitor/exhaust tip/Flyby30winshield/underdash LED's
Detail: **interior: poorboys natural look **paint: Blackfire si02 spray, **wheels: Cquartz, weekly Ech20 rinseless wash

Last edited by Glen e; 04-05-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Gizmogal liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-09-2019, 01:11 AM
Christine Mann

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I feel your pain and hope Honda will fix it. I just bought a 2016 Honda HRV and I love it except for the peeling paint!

I had a lovely guy come by today to give me an estimate to fix a sizable 2" x 2" paint chip on the roof. He said "look Id love to take your $ and hate to drive out here for nothing, but this is a Honda defect and they really should fix it since the car is barely 3 years old". He also pointed to other areas where chipping was starting and would get worse.

I said are you sure its not wear and tear? he said no way. this is a defective paint job.

Im taking it to a Honda dealer tomorrow but I suspect they will give me a bunch of the same BS they are giving you...that you somehow caused it.

Such a bummer because otherwise Im in love w/ the car and would keep buying it forever (although I have a manual and have yet to even try the CVT transmission--I have a feeling that will be a dealbreaker for me)

Im guessing there will be a class action lawsuit re the paints on the HRV but because they just came out in 2016 theyre aren't enough people yet, but Ill be first in line to join!
post #5 of 12 Old 04-09-2019, 01:12 AM
Christine Mann

Post Thanks / Like
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
aka you work for Honda
post #6 of 12 Old 04-09-2019, 01:41 AM
SlowFosho

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 140
Likes (Received): 439
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Mann View Post
I feel your pain and hope Honda will fix it. I just bought a 2016 Honda HRV and I love it except for the peeling paint!

I had a lovely guy come by today to give me an estimate to fix a sizable 2" x 2" paint chip on the roof. He said "look Id love to take your $ and hate to drive out here for nothing, but this is a Honda defect and they really should fix it since the car is barely 3 years old". He also pointed to other areas where chipping was starting and would get worse.

I said are you sure its not wear and tear? he said no way. this is a defective paint job.

Im taking it to a Honda dealer tomorrow but I suspect they will give me a bunch of the same BS they are giving you...that you somehow caused it.

Such a bummer because otherwise Im in love w/ the car and would keep buying it forever (although I have a manual and have yet to even try the CVT transmission--I have a feeling that will be a dealbreaker for me)

Im guessing there will be a class action lawsuit re the paints on the HRV but because they just came out in 2016 theyre aren't enough people yet, but Ill be first in line to join!
Did you buy it from a Honda dealer?
post #7 of 12 Old 04-09-2019, 03:34 PM
fishycomics

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 13
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
that you can simply care for by getting it taken care of by some one who details, or a repair shop.

looks like that will happen to anyone who neglects to wax a car, or touch up paint, you can get some grit sand paper and spray paint for the car, and mask the edging and fix it before it gets to be real rust. that is not bad at all. I wax the car after you touch it up a month later and happy detailing

FISH
post #8 of 12 Old 04-10-2019, 06:56 PM
xcrystal143x

Post Thanks / Like
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Mann View Post

Check out the FB group "Honda Paint Defect Action Group" Lots of others with the same issues as you. Does your car happen to be white? Seems to be mostly white cars affected.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-10-2019, 09:50 PM
car4sooznd

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 295
Likes (Received): 142
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
that you can simply care for by getting it taken care of by some one who details, or a repair shop.

looks like that will happen to anyone who neglects to wax a car, or touch up paint, you can get some grit sand paper and spray paint for the car, and mask the edging and fix it before it gets to be real rust. that is not bad at all. I wax the car after you touch it up a month later and happy detailing

FISH

Still looks pretty bad to me for a 3 year old car. I had a white 1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon I bought used - had it for over 9 years- it wasn't kept in a garage and had no rust. I never waxed the car and only took it to automatic car washes. Seems like you would not need to baby a car so much to keep the paint intact.

2017 HR-V EX AWD
White Orchid Pearl
SnowFox

post #10 of 12 Old 04-11-2019, 05:25 AM
fishycomics

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 13
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by car4sooznd View Post
Still looks pretty bad to me for a 3 year old car. I had a white 1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon I bought used - had it for over 9 years- it wasn't kept in a garage and had no rust. I never waxed the car and only took it to automatic car washes. Seems like you would not need to baby a car so much to keep the paint intact.
I agree if a Clear coat is on her and covered it all? I have maybe waxed my Toyota Corolla few times over the 9 plus years. I have yet to was out new Honda Crv that is now two years old but there was a ding, dent, damage, and until I finally was able to get a paint stick, b/c I could not correctly find the paint spray stores refused to stock. the damaged area started rusting, showing the color of rust, I taken care of it. Guess the area we all live in plays a toll, if asked?

SO yeah I see if any edging that water can run down on or the bottom, I at least get a coat of wax even if it is once a year.