Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Looks aggressive! How's the ride quality on the highway? I'm thinking of ordering the Toyo or Nitto AT tires so that I can take my HRV off the road also.
The ride quality on highways is much better because of the taller sidewall, compared to stock wheels and tires. Handling is still precise like a car no significant body roll and does not feel like a sluggish SUV on curvy highway mountain roads. Great dry traction, great wet traction. As for the tires itself, from my experience they do ”hum” a bit but that is expected on AT tires, nothing that a good music can‘t fix to drown out the little humming. And from what I have read and watched youtube videos these are more on the quieter side

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics and info, glad this setup has been tested by you guys before I bought as I was scared of rubbing issues at full lock or going over bumps. I have been wanting that specific wheel/tire combo for a long while now ever since I got into a small accident in early 2020 but since my oem wheel was only cosmetically damaged yet structurally sound, I wanted to get my money's worth out of the oem tires until they actually were worn down which took about 60k miles (what they are rated for). Well when I went to order wheels from Tire Rack in late 2020 they were all sold out! Almost bought some used Acura TSX wheels off craigslist but once I saw the terras in person I'm glad I waited as I have always loved the rally car look. Fast forward to late Feb and they were back in stock. I was debating between light gray and bronze but since bronze was only available in 17" I went with light gray. The oem wheel/tire for my year/trim is 17x7.5 +55 and 215/55r17 while my new setup is 16x7 +45 and 215/70r16. I am going to attempt to install some of those Rally Armor universal plastic mud flaps when I am not feeling lazy, hopefully they have clearance but by eyeballing it they should fit.

A couple of my findings so far post-install for anyone curious:
  • slightly better ride quality
  • slightly more tire noise (I daily drove an NB miata for 6 years before this so noise doesn't bother me as much as it does others)
  • slightly less torquey (as to be expected with an overall larger diameter wheel/tire combo, although for those of you with the cvt it may be able to compensate for this by just adjusting the ratio shorter)
  • speedo/odo read slow... rpms more relaxed at equivalent actual speed (also expected)
  • does not turn in as "crisply" in spirited driving, normal driving feels similar though
  • ride height increased 5/8"
  • not much clearance between the inside diameter of the rim and the brake calipers, I doubt 15" wheels would fit if anyone was thinking of trying. If they did fit it would be super closer. (see images)

Anywhosies here are some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for sharing the pics and info, glad this setup has been tested by you guys before I bought as I was scared of rubbing issues at full lock or going over bumps. I have been wanting that specific wheel/tire combo for a long while now ever since I got into a small accident in early 2020 but since my oem wheel was only cosmetically damaged yet structurally sound, I wanted to get my money's worth out of the oem tires until they actually were worn down which took about 60k miles (what they are rated for). Well when I went to order wheels from Tire Rack in late 2020 they were all sold out! Almost bought some used Acura TSX wheels off craigslist but once I saw the terras in person I'm glad I waited as I have always loved the rally car look. Fast forward to late Feb and they were back in stock. I was debating between light gray and bronze but since bronze was only available in 17" I went with light gray. The oem wheel/tire for my year/trim is 17x7.5 +55 and 215/55r17 while my new setup is 16x7 +45 and 215/70r16. I am going to attempt to install some of those Rally Armor universal plastic mud flaps when I am not feeling lazy, hopefully they have clearance but by eyeballing it they should fit.

A couple of my findings so far post-install for anyone curious:
  • slightly better ride quality
  • slightly more tire noise (I daily drove an NB miata for 6 years before this so noise doesn't bother me as much as it does others)
  • slightly less torquey (as to be expected with an overall larger diameter wheel/tire combo, although for those of you with the cvt it may be able to compensate for this by just adjusting the ratio shorter)
  • speedo/odo read slow... rpms more relaxed at equivalent actual speed (also expected)
  • does not turn in as "crisply" in spirited driving, normal driving feels similar though
  • ride height increased 5/8"
  • not much clearance between the inside diameter of the rim and the brake calipers, I doubt 15" wheels would fit if anyone was thinking of trying. If they did fit it would be super closer. (see images)

Anywhosies here are some pics:
View attachment 31392
View attachment 31393 View attachment 31394 View attachment 31395
View attachment 31397
Hell yeah, Welcome to the sparco/toyo club! I too drove an NB miata for 5yrs before I sold it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dayday01, that's a sweet pic. Love those wheels with the purple, is that a special edition? Mine was an 04, post facelifted model, silver on blue. Aside from a Racing Beat intake/muffler, tint, HIDs and a new navy blue cloth top to replace the failing black vinyl factory top, mine was stock. Wish I could have kept it. It would have been a nice compliment to the HR-V but I already street park my car and didn't want to have 2 cars on the street.

Rob, for the mud flaps did you just use the clips that hold the inner fenders, or did you have to add additional clips? I was also thinking of using a heat gun to mold the upper part of the mud flaps to the contours of the inner fender for a better fit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the oem splash guards before. The oem guards use three factory screws on the front fender wells. On the back they use two present screws but come with a third for each side for a lower inner portion.

For the rally armor flaps, they’re not pre-drilled. The first thing I did was figure out how far out and down I wanted one and marked the top screw hole with a wax pencil and drilled it. Then I screwed it on and used a level to get them right horizontally and vertically and marked the hole almost directly above the top one and drilled it and then the third hole. Before marking any drill holes, make sure the car is down on a level surface. There was a lot of jacking the car up and lowering it and removing tires and putting them back on. The good news is you only have to do one side. Just lay the flaps for the other side under those fitted with the correct holes and use the same holes. You’ll have to pick a place to add an extra screw on the inner portion of the rear flaps. then drill through the flaps and the fender liner. If you don’t have the oem guards, you’ll have to get a screw and nut.

They can probably be heated and shaped. I just screwed them on and don’t mind them being a bit wonky. It’s minor. That’s probably way more than you wanted to hear back.

oh wait. I just saw the question about psi. I run 35. Someone on here said they run 25 in the sand.

·
Registered
6spd FWD
105 Posts
@Rob

are your roof rails OEM? Still waiting for my replacement to come. (not OEM)

If not OEM, was wondering have you had any issues of the rails coming loose from roof rack drag, road vibrations etc?

thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
They’re oem. They’re expensive but worth it. They fit perfectly to the slightest inward roof rails curves and are different lengths. No noise or anything even with the sun roof open.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Rob I'll probably use your technique. And I just copied the oem psi for now (32 front/30 rear) but I wanted to play around with it to see what worked best. I figure that since these tires have more volume than the oem tires that they would need less psi to wear even. For example look at bicycle tires. Assuming you are riding on the road, a 26 x 4.0 ranges from 20-25 psi (fat bike, super high volume), a 26 x 2.0 (beach cruiser size, medium volume) will typically range from 40-60 psi while a 700c x 23 (skinny road bike tire, low volume) will range from 100-120 psi. Disclaimer, I am not an engineer and my conclusions have been deduced using bro science.

·
Registered
6spd FWD
105 Posts
...for those that have the sparco terra’s with the current setup of 215/70/16, and an offset of 45, do you guys think i will have any rubbing issues with wheels having an offset of 35. same size of 16x7 with tires of 215/70/16 ?

thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
...for those that have the sparco terra’s with the current setup of 215/70/16, and an offset of 45, do you guys think i will have any rubbing issues with wheels having an offset of 35. same size of 16x7 with tires of 215/70/16 ?

thanks
The only time that I think of that it could rub is when you turn full lock.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts