Honda HR-V Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, too just experienced the sudden transmission failure. After a lot of no answers why, except Honda is completely replacing at their cost (extending warranty), I finally got the answer as to what goes wrong. Apparently, the transmission fluid cap can be locked into position 2 ways. In one direction it will be fine. If pointing another direction, the shift lever will actually knock into the cap, loosening it over time (and/or knocking it off completely). Then transmission fluid drains out causing catastrophic transmission failure. It's a simple fix, but must be a secret so oil change places and even dealership service centers may put cap on in the "problem" position. The owner would be none the wiser. Honda was accusing me of lossening cap?!?! But then is replacing at their cost. Ive seen lots of issues with this and no one knew why...so I thought it important to share. Honda seems to want to keep it quiet but a dealership Service Manager explained it.

· Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
442 Posts
Got a picture or parts diagram?

I see ATF Filler Cap 25615-5DL-003
But that is the same # as on 2019+ cars.

· Administrator
2,182 Posts
Then transmission fluid drains out causing catastrophic transmission failure. It's a simple fix, but must be a secret so oil change places and even dealership service centers may put cap on in the "problem" position.
Not sure what you are referring to? No one here had a tranny failure due to losing fluid.

There is a breather cap getting loose issue, but no tranny failure from it.

· Administrator
1,572 Posts
Font Gas Automotive tire Fashion accessory Plastic

I think he's talking about this filler cap. It made me curious so I went out to look and the hook is close to the shift lever on the transmission. I'm not sure if it can actually pop it off though as it looks like the shift lever is higher than the hook. I think the transmission built up too much pressure and popped it off. Honda might just be using that as an excuse.
Automotive tire Jaw Flash photography Sleeve Tints and shades

· Registered
1,135 Posts
View attachment 33821
I think he's talking about this filler cap. It made me curious so I went out to look and the hook is close to the shift lever on the transmission. I'm not sure if it can actually pop it off though as it looks like the shift lever is higher than the hook. I think the transmission built up too much pressure and popped it off. Honda might just be using that as an excuse. View attachment 33823
This is the fill port plug- probably not the real issue -
the VENT cap is the issue to be concerned with - it is supposed to vent and relieve pressure build up- it has a small hole in it , and it can get clogged.

· Registered
767 Posts
I, too just experienced the sudden transmission failure. After a lot of no answers why, except Honda is completely replacing at their cost (extending warranty), I finally got the answer as to what goes wrong. Apparently, the transmission fluid cap can be locked into position 2 ways. In one direction it will be fine. If pointing another direction, the shift lever will actually knock into the cap, loosening it over time (and/or knocking it off completely). Then transmission fluid drains out causing catastrophic transmission failure. It's a simple fix, but must be a secret so oil change places and even dealership service centers may put cap on in the "problem" position. The owner would be none the wiser. Honda was accusing me of lossening cap?!?! But then is replacing at their cost. Ive seen lots of issues with this and no one knew why...so I thought it important to share. Honda seems to want to keep it quiet but a dealership Service Manager explained it.

Lol, April Fools day was earlier in the month!

Reactions: rszappa1

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure what you are referring to? No one here had a tranny failure due to losing fluid.

There is a breather cap getting loose issue, but no tranny failure from it.
I found a number of people online who had same type of issue. No where that I could find explained how it happens. I thought the world needed to know and didn't know where or how to announce it. So I thought the forum might be a good place. Sorry for whatever I did in posting this that you feel is inappropriate.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, I have no picture yet. Car is at dealership and service manager finally told me why transmission failed.
I just know that is what the Service Manager at the dealer told me. Whatever. I'm done. Thought I was helping. There was an issue with the CV 2016-2018 and they fixed it in 2019. Honda is covering it 100% so its obviously something that was really a problem, even tho they didn't do a recall.

· Registered
2019 HRV EX CVT. 1.5 Earth Dreams. Modern Steel.
68 Posts
Wasn't there any sign of leaking out of the engine area?

· Registered
187 Posts
I’m glad my mechanic knows what he’s doing! I had my fluid changed at 20,000 miles and I rarely take my car to a dealership unless it’s something covered by a recall or warranty. So far, so good (knock on wood).

· Registered
14 Posts
View attachment 33821
I think he's talking about this filler cap. It made me curious so I went out to look and the hook is close to the shift lever on the transmission. I'm not sure if it can actually pop it off though as it looks like the shift lever is higher than the hook. I think the transmission built up too much pressure and popped it off. Honda might just be using that as an excuse. View attachment 33823
I have a 2022 lx I just got. Is mine the right way?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.