Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is going to be a very long and geeky post. Thus I'm only posting the first few paragraphs here, with the full post (all 4 pages!) available as a PDF attachment. If you’ve arrived here looking for a simple way to replace the factory OEM radio, with or without the OEM navigation option, using a name-brand head unit (Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.) and commonly available aftermarket harnesses and parts, all while retaining most steering wheel controls and the right-side LaneWatch camera, just read the first 4 paragraphs. I purchased a Kenwood DDX9905S, but I would guess a Kenwood DDX9904S (if you can still find one) would also work, as should future successors to this head unit. This is a rather expensive head unit, but worth it (the built-in speakers sound much better with the Kenwood), and of course, we know it works in the HR-V. Simple, remember? Download the full PDF and take it to your installer, who will be grateful for saving him or her lots of time. Plan on spending up to $600 on additional parts and labor beyond the head unit, which is typical for any car with steering wheel controls, extra cameras, and myriad other functions.

This is the car and aftermarket equipment I have that is working nearly perfectly:
  • Honda 2016 HR-V EX-L (OEM factory nav with 7” screen)
  • Kenwood DDX9905S
  • iDatalink Maestro Rr replacement radio interface
  • iDatalink Maestro HO2 installation harness for Honda

Might you have success with a different Kenwood head unit? Probably. Other brands? Also likely, but note that Maestro support told me that of all brands, Kenwood is best about taking their suggestions for updating signaling and interface protocols. Since the HR-V (and Fit) are problem cars in getting the LaneWatch camera and steering wheel controls to work correctly, I’d stick with Kenwood. That said, any head unit that works with Maestro and has a second camera input with signaling should (ahem) work. If you want to purchase a different (or cheaper) head unit, look at “Before you buy ANY head unit” in the PDF attachment. Good luck!

From here, the post gets geeky. If you want the simple solution installed by a professional, just skim. Near the end I point out 2 steering wheel buttons that still don’t work quite right. However, there are other buttons easily take their place. My tech-averse wife is quite happy with this setup after driving with the OEM head unit for 2 years. If she is happy, then that is success in my view. If you are ready to dive into geeky detail, its all in the attached PDF.

Many thanks to Peter at Mobile West in Portland, OR. and Dara DeGrand at Maestro customer support for going above and beyond. Mobile West and Maestro both deserve your business.

Note: PDF has been zipped due to the forum's antiquated file size limits.
Sounds great! Any pictures of how the head unit fits? Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Figured out my issue with Lanewatch camera and the rear-view camera.

1. Lanewatch camera need to be assigned in the Maestro settings first. Settings -> AV -> OEM Setup. I don't remember the rest of the settings in this menu off of the top of my head, but if you're installing your radio you are probably capable of figuring out how to do it from here. Long story short: Assign Camera 1 as the Lanewatch camera and then you can modify the Lanewatch camera parameters (on with signal, stay on after X seconds, etc). Amusingly, since I figured it out, I remembered how annoying it was to come on and have since shut it off.

2. The rear-view camera would simply turn off if I tapped the screen while it was on. The trick on my radio (DMX905S) is to tap the sides of the screen, not the middle of the screen. It appears as though the left side of the screen is one view, middle is the default view, and right side is some other view. I wish that was more intuitive, but it does appear to stick once you find the one you want.

For anyone who is looking to do this job yourself, you'll need the following stuff:

1. Maestro ADS-MRR (retains most of the vehicle features including Steering Wheel controls and cameras)
2. iDatalink HRN-RR-HO2 (wiring harness for the stock Honda connections.)

2. Metra 95-7810B Dash Kit (fills in the gaps to make the stereo look clean. This had subpar reviews everywhere I looked but it looks fine. It's not great to look at, but it's certainly not as awful as some of the reviews make it seem.

3. Metra 40-HD11 (antenna adapter)

4. (Optional) Sirius XM Tuner. I went with the SXV300V1. The antenna that comes with this unit is a magnetic mount intended for mounting on the outside of the vehicle. If you don't feel like running cable all over your car, you can two-way tape it and place it inside the dash while you have the radio pulled. There's a few nice flat places close to the windshield that you can place it and it'll still get a solid signal.

Things to know:
1. The dash is incredibly easy to take apart if you know what you're doing. There's youtube videos on how to disassemble the entire thing. You only need to take off the front bezel (where the long vent is on the passenger side) as well as the glove box. There are four screws (8mm socket) that secure the glove box to the dash. Everything else is simply affixed via clips that you can pull straight off.

2. You'll end up doing some splicing, even with the relatively plug and play nature of the setup. I ended up splicing about 10 wires. I'd strongly recommend some solder seal wire connectors.

3. You'll lose the factory HDMI and USB ports. They won't be plugged into anything when it's all said and done. My aftermarket radio came with USB female connectors that I just dropped down by the existing ports. Not perfect, but acceptable.
Maybe filling the gaps with bondo or body filler will make it look nicer. I bought the pioneer MVH-1400NEX, it has a sleek design. I´ll will try that and post pictures once have the Stereo, harnesses, etc, its on the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok I know this post is a little old but I got a few questions. I have a 2016 EX HRV.
I like the active lane markings in the rear view cam, where it turns the lanes as you turn the steering wheel, you mean to tell me it will still work?
And the Lane Watch cam works well?
And can I control and see climate controls on the aftermarket head unit?

I’m pretty excited to hear about this :) I wanted to change out my head unit too but got sad cuz I thought I wouldn’t be able to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the information. I just used this to get my new stereo installed. However, I didn't have any issue with the Lane Watch camera. I am wondering if iDatalink has fixed the issue that you are having and all you might need is a firmware update. My only question is, can anyone else see tire pressure or control their AC from it? I mean neither are important I am just curious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can see my AC temp but cannot control it, neither can I see my tire pressure info. I do see my speedometer and what is my parking gear at (P,N,D) etc
I haven’t had issues at all with my lanewatch cam, perfect

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can see my AC temp but cannot control it, neither can I see my tire pressure info. I do see my speedometer and what is my parking gear at (P,N,D) etc
I haven’t had issues at all with my lanewatch cam, perfect
Ok glad I'm not the only one. but like i said its not important.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have one of these Toyota adapters laying around and just wrapped up my installation of a Sony XAV-AX210 with the iDataLink RR. Does anyone have confirmation that the USB adapter will actually allow the existing USB port to work with the head unit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi folks, I hope you're all able to endure the remaining days of the turd of a year and that 2021 is better for all of us! I'm really appreciative of all of the information that you've all shared here, it convinced me to have a new head unit (Kenwood DMX 7706s) installed back in early March, before the world went to shit. I haven't done any car audio work since I had a '88 Civic Hatchback (oh, how I miss that car!), and I'm not brave enough to attempt an install on a modern vehicle. That said, I had the folks at Best Buy do the install.

They really did nice job with the install, and were able to keep the LaneWatch fully functional. Aside from the lack of USB functionality & the odd climate control readings on the HU, everything was working out just fine. Until a few weeks back.

The LaneWatch camera stopped displaying when the turn signal was used. Oddly enough, it would display when braking and the car's speed fell below 10ish MPH. It also displays if I press the CAM button on the HU.

I'm not sure if this is diagnostically significant, but it seems that the issue arose after my battery died and the car needed a jump from my Element.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi folks, I hope you're all able to endure the remaining days of the turd of a year and that 2021 is better for all of us! I'm really appreciative of all of the information that you've all shared here, it convinced me to have a new head unit (Kenwood DMX 7706s) installed back in early March, before the world went to shit. I haven't done any car audio work since I had a '88 Civic Hatchback (oh, how I miss that car!), and I'm not brave enough to attempt an install on a modern vehicle. That said, I had the folks at Best Buy do the install.

They really did nice job with the install, and were able to keep the LaneWatch fully functional. Aside from the lack of USB functionality & the odd climate control readings on the HU, everything was working out just fine. Until a few weeks back.

The LaneWatch camera stopped displaying when the turn signal was used. Oddly enough, it would display when braking and the car's speed fell below 10ish MPH. It also displays if I press the CAM button on the HU.

I'm not sure if this is diagnostically significant, but it seems that the issue arose after my battery died and the car needed a jump from my Element.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Update: I was able to swing by Best Buy, and the guys there took a few minutes to "Initialize" (essentially, reset) the HU. This was, indeed, a result of the dead battery. From there, the steps that @FranzWesson outlined in post #16 did the trick. Thanks for the information everyone! Be well & healthy.

·
Registered
2017 HR-V. Dynamat-ed. Rockin Sounds.
39 Posts
Thanks, everyone for the info here! It was a great starting point. Parts ordered and I'm self-installing next week. I plan to direct wire from amp to speakers due to higher RMS (need to use 16 AWG). The wiring diagram is still in progress, here's what I have so far. Any thoughts or comments from those "in the know" will be appreciated.

·
Registered
Honda HRV 2016
7 Posts
Figured out my issue with Lanewatch camera and the rear-view camera.

1. Lanewatch camera need to be assigned in the Maestro settings first. Settings -> AV -> OEM Setup. I don't remember the rest of the settings in this menu off of the top of my head, but if you're installing your radio you are probably capable of figuring out how to do it from here. Long story short: Assign Camera 1 as the Lanewatch camera and then you can modify the Lanewatch camera parameters (on with signal, stay on after X seconds, etc). Amusingly, since I figured it out, I remembered how annoying it was to come on and have since shut it off.

2. The rear-view camera would simply turn off if I tapped the screen while it was on. The trick on my radio (DMX905S) is to tap the sides of the screen, not the middle of the screen. It appears as though the left side of the screen is one view, middle is the default view, and right side is some other view. I wish that was more intuitive, but it does appear to stick once you find the one you want.

For anyone who is looking to do this job yourself, you'll need the following stuff:

1. Maestro ADS-MRR (retains most of the vehicle features including Steering Wheel controls and cameras)
2. iDatalink HRN-RR-HO2 (wiring harness for the stock Honda connections.)

2. Metra 95-7810B Dash Kit (fills in the gaps to make the stereo look clean. This had subpar reviews everywhere I looked but it looks fine. It's not great to look at, but it's certainly not as awful as some of the reviews make it seem.

3. Metra 40-HD11 (antenna adapter)

4. (Optional) Sirius XM Tuner. I went with the SXV300V1. The antenna that comes with this unit is a magnetic mount intended for mounting on the outside of the vehicle. If you don't feel like running cable all over your car, you can two-way tape it and place it inside the dash while you have the radio pulled. There's a few nice flat places close to the windshield that you can place it and it'll still get a solid signal.

Things to know:
1. The dash is incredibly easy to take apart if you know what you're doing. There's youtube videos on how to disassemble the entire thing. You only need to take off the front bezel (where the long vent is on the passenger side) as well as the glove box. There are four screws (8mm socket) that secure the glove box to the dash. Everything else is simply affixed via clips that you can pull straight off.

2. You'll end up doing some splicing, even with the relatively plug and play nature of the setup. I ended up splicing about 10 wires. I'd strongly recommend some solder seal wire connectors.

3. You'll lose the factory HDMI and USB ports. They won't be plugged into anything when it's all said and done. My aftermarket radio came with USB female connectors that I just dropped down by the existing ports. Not perfect, but acceptable.
Hi,

Is iDatalink HRN-RR-HO2 harness compatible with chinese aftermarket car radio (TS10 UIS7862 6gb ram 128gb) ?
My only issue is the lanewatch camera not working. I'm looking for the harness to make it work.
I've been checking the xda forum. But, cannot find the solution to fix.
Thank you in advance for any advise.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
460 Posts
Hello Heho, those Android head units usually have the correct wires. The problem is most likely the CAN-BUS and/or the settings for the camera. I don’t have LaneWatch but if you look at the first post or two in the thread titled “Dasaita Android head unit upgrade” you can find instructions about those settings.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
460 Posts
Here you go:
Cameras:
With a little configuration they both work just fine. The Lane Assist camera has the distance lines programmed in to it so they display automatically. The reversing camera settings include options to show trajectory as well as a distance ruler too.

To properly route the signal for the Lane Assist camera in a USDM HRV EX I had to do the following:
"GO to Settings >Car >Factory Setting (password 126) >Other >Customer Version >Version 2"

In "Settings >Car >Extra Settings >Reversing Volume >On" or set the reverse volume to the desired attenuation. Otherwise as configured by the factory the audio will cut out when the reverse or Lane Assist cameras are active.

(The "Factory Setting" menu has a lot of other configurable options that are vehicle specific. Password: 126)

·
Registered
Honda HRV 2016
7 Posts
Here you go:
The setting for lanewatch camera by changing the customer version is not exist in my unit since it is not dasaita brand.
The only setting is switching on/off the right lane camera in the "car setting". After switching that setting on and turn on my right signal, it shows blank screen with the message says no video signal. So, I really don't what would the issue be and keep looking for any possibility? Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
460 Posts
Hello, the settings (software) have nothing to do with the brand name (Dasaita, etc.). That software is by Android, usually the PX6. What you describe I had that problem with my car and it was the CAN-BUS (the little control box) but my car didn't have LaneWatch anyway, so that's why I got the black screen. What you need to fix this problem is the correct CAN-BUS and/or the correct wire harness. You should contact the seller and ask for help. My reverse camera didn't work and Dasaita sent me another wire harness to correct the problem and now it works.

·
Registered
Honda HRV 2016
7 Posts
Hello, the settings (software) have nothing to do with the brand name (Dasaita, etc.). That software is by Android, usually the PX6. What you describe I had that problem with my car and it was the CAN-BUS (the little control box) but my car didn't have LaneWatch anyway, so that's why I got the black screen. What you need to fix this problem is the correct CAN-BUS and/or the correct wire harness. You should contact the seller and ask for help. My reverse camera didn't work and Dasaita sent me another wire harness to correct the problem and now it works.
Thanks for your advise. I will check with the seller see for the wire harness and canbus.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts