Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
That's funny to see it in the top ten. I don't think they're bad (maybe best of my recent cars?), but I do see a lot of hate for them.

IIHS testing includes technology like beams that move with the steering wheel, and if a car doesn't have that it gets docked points. CR does not include that, it looks like more of a "feeling" from their drivers

Registered
I ran into that same Consumer Reports article too on my own just last night. (I wish I had seen it when it came out in 2017.)

Interestingly, CR came out with an article prior to this reporting on the IIHS small SUV headlights findings soon after they were published in 2016, but then, in the same article, they went into explaining how their headlight testing methods differ from the IIHS, noting, 鈥渟ome key differences in the testing methodologies may help explain why some vehicles may not rate similarly,鈥 the prime example of which subsequently may well have been the 2016 HR-V. (See: Car Headlight Performance Found to Be Not So Bright - Consumer Reports)

The first difference they discuss is that CR makes sure headlights are aimed properly before testing them, whereas the IIHS tests headlights "as is" from the factory. If the HR-Vs tested by the IIHS had headlights that were misaligned (for example, perhaps they were aimed too low), and CR tested the same 2016 HR-V after having properly aimed them, that alone could explain how one rated them "worst in class" and the other "top 10 best."

In any case, what hit me was that CR not only listed the 2016 HR-V headlights as top 10, but #6 best of ALL CARS THEY TESTED 2012-2017. Suddenly I don't feel so horrified by the IIHS "worst in class" results, nor wonder whether my halogens are any good. CR feels they're perfectly fine. But one thing is sure, I will definitely have my headlights aim checked to make sure they're centered correctly after reading all this. It may well be the difference between having the worst headlights of all small SUVs and being among the best.

It's unfortunate that the IIHS report got picked up by so many media when their report came out, but that the CR rating to the contrary has gotten so little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts