Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
It not on NHTSA yet. If you had or having CVT issue. It doesn't hurt to print and give them to your dealer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I took my 2016 HRV for oil change and they told me about a software update for the CVT. They did it and now it seems like the rpms don't go as high as they used to.

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
They did in the past. I would give the printout to the dealer that replaced their CVT and ask. I don't know about third-party repairs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honda will notify owners of affected HR-V's at a future date to come in for a software update and inspection.

The warranty for this issue has been extended.

If you've already paid for repairs for this issue out of warranty, you'll be able to request reimbursement from Honda.

From the link below, select "Recalls/Campaigns" as the Topic and "Recalls/Campaings: Reimbursement Request" as the Sub Topic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Fact is that 7 y and 150 000miles from a transmission still amounts to poorly engineered junk !!

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
248 Posts
I’m glad Honda is finally recognizing the problem and has a “solution”.
Has anyone who has replaced their CVT fluid on a regular basis, suffered a CVT failure?

Our friend's '15 Accord with CVT is working fine at 100K miles...two fluid changes so far.
I was planning to replace the fluid on our #1 daughter's 2019 HR-V this summer, at the 3 year mark...even though the pandemic has reduced her annual mileage significantly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yikes! Not exactly confidence-inspiring. I’ve been paranoid about the CVT all along and have had the fluid changed on my 2016 EX-L AWD about every 20 - 25k miles, or three times so far in my nearly 70k miles. You don’t read about frequent CVT failures in other Honda products (e.g., Accords and Civics have had them since 2013 and 2014, respectively), so perhaps that’s a bit of consolation.

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
Has anyone who has replaced their CVT fluid on a regular basis, suffered a CVT failure?

Our friend's '15 Accord with CVT is working fine at 100K miles...two fluid changes so far.
I was planning to replace the fluid on our #1 daughter's 2019 HR-V this summer, at the 3 year mark...even though the pandemic has reduced her annual mileage significantly.
Some have their fluid changed on schedule and still have a failure. Honda just admitted the failures were not due to fluid change overdue. Change at the recommended interval and your car will be fine. Besides, your warranty has just been extended.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What happens to those who have recently changed the transmission fluid. Wouldn't they have less metal particles in the pan and the problem will not be detected with the test outlined in the doc TSB 21-046 posted above?

I'm at 72000 kms and was about to have the transmission fluid changed. Too bad the inspection doesn't include the draining of the transmission fluid which would save me the cost.
I guess I can request they don't change the fluid if it fails the inspection check.

This TSB/recall was only released less than 1 month ago. Anyone hear from their dealer to see if they are familiar with it?
Has anyone received an official letter from Honda about the recall yet?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Lots going on here with the HRV CVT and these TSB's.

1st up, I would say to wait a few months before running to the Honda dealer to get this done.

There is a firmware update to the ECM and while I'm sure Honda has done analysis, testing and piloting, you never want to be the 1st to get any kind of firmware/software update to any device including a vehicle.
Don't ever be the 1st to update your Android, iOS, Chrome or Windows, etc. :)

The TSB CVT debris test is kinda suspect IMO. Small debris, powdered metal, etc, will never get a magnet to stay attached to the bottom of the aluminum CVT pan.
This check will only determine if large ferrous metal chunks are in the CVT pan.
My thoughts are that they are only checking for pieces of a failed CVT belt.

If your CVT is now due for an fluid change, over 20000miles/30000km, I would get it changed now and then get the TSB's done in a few months.
It's now clear that changing the CVT fluid excessively will not really prevent CVT trans failures.

On the one hand, it's great than Honda has extended the warranty on the CVT.
On the other hand, if your 2016 HRV has an in-service date of mid 2015 or so, this will expire in just over a year from now.

The CVT TSB's have only been out for a few weeks, history will show how this goes.
I have a feeling that the ECM firmware update will derate the engine (reduce engine power) during hard acceleration/load on the CVT.
This may make the sluggish HRV feel even more sluggish, but will prolong CVT transmission life.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts