Honda HR-V Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just received a call from Honda and they said they were verifying with the dealership that my transmission was replaced by them. They also wanted to verify my address so they could send me my $6,500.

This is good news for other people that had to have their transmission replaced.
Sure hope the 2021 have been corrected..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just received a call from Honda and they said they were verifying with the dealership that my transmission was replaced by them. They also wanted to verify my address so they could send me my $6,500.

This is good news for other people that had to have their transmission replaced.
I just received an email from Honda stating : "We have recently approved your reimbursement request and a check will be mailed to you soon, which you should receive within 2-3 weeks.

I am so happy and I hope others that were in similar situations have their reimbursements approved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I received my Honda update for the software on my transmission a week ago later I went to the dealer set for four hours while they did a one hour update and drove the car home it runs 500 RPMs faster at any given speed and it seems to have a slipping effect while driving down the road I spent a great deal of time with the dealer and they said they did but all that they were supposed to and for me to take it up with American Honda it was no longer there a problem! in the event you’re reading this in the Florida area the dealer is Brandon Honda beware

·
Registered
575 Posts
Great.....my appointment is set for 7 Am tomorrow. (but a different dealer etc)

Questions - what year is yours ? is AWD ?
have you ever changed the fluid prior to this update ?
what is current mileage?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is a 2017 Front Wheel Dr. and I change the fluid at 35,000 miles There was absolutely nothing wrong with my car was performing flawlessly the dealer after installing the new program screwed it up I dropped 7 to 8 miles per gallon on my road trips in 3 to 5 around town the engine runs at a higher speed which translates to more fuel at a loss of economy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would strongly recommend before you have them install the program you take a service writer out and show him what rpm the engine is turning at a given speed especially at around 70 to 75 mph in a constant speed with the cruise control on and then check it afterwards. You probably won’t be very happy like me and then you’ll be told it’s not their problem it’s American Honda’s problem and which will get put on a very long waiting list

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would strongly recommend before you have them install the program you take a service writer out and show him what rpm the engine is turning at a given speed especially at around 70 to 75 mph in a constant speed with the cruise control on and then check it afterwards. You probably won’t be very happy like me and then you’ll be told it’s not their problem it’s American Honda’s problem and which will get put on a very long waiting list
This is the first case of this that I have read on the forum about this, so it seems odd.
Some people say the update made their "shifts" smoother.
Very long wait list ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am very dubious of the dealership doing as they said they did my gut feeling is they put a program in for a 2016 instead of a 2017 the 2017 has a discrete program the 16 18. 19 and so forth has a uniform program as I understand. In any event I’m stuck with a vehicle now that does not get the gas mileage it used to so I’m going to trade the POS In on a reputable Toyota. Let me state that until the dealership got a hold of the car I was very happy with it but I will not own a vehicle that will not be supported by the dealership and the manufacturer I’ve had several Toyotas and never in my life have I been told they’re done with me!

·
Registered
442 Posts
My AWD seems to rev higher after the update. I don't have a database of RPMs at various speeds, just my seat of the pants observation. I expected this to be part of the update to reduce load on the CVT belt. My MPG has gone down about 1 MPG.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have the update on my 2017 LX FWD and have noticed no change. Do you have another Honda dealer that you can confer with?

·
Registered
5 Posts
After discussing this with a couple of my engineer buddies we have determined that what most probably happen is once Honda checked your transmission and sees there isn’t any substantial damage they change the program forcing the engine to run faster which in turn puts the location of the belt in reference to the shelves in a different place so it now has a new area to wear around as opposed to where it used to wear hopefully lasting long enough to outlast the warranty basically a CYA for America Honda

·
Administrator
1,492 Posts
I took my HRV in last Friday to get the CVT updated and I noticed the changes as soon as I drove off the lot. I've driven it for almost a week now and the main differences I can tell are:
1) It is quicker when you take off from a standstill and more responsive when you press the gas.
2) There is a lot less drag in general, especially when coasting.
3) The automatic and manual "shifts" are a lot smoother.
4) The rubber band effect is a lot less noticeable.
And
5) My gas mileage seems to have improved. I've always had bad gas mileage compared to others here and I always attributed it to my heavier wheels, wider tires, and driving style (I don't drive crazy but I do drive slightly faster than others). I've never seen anything over 26mpg, even on long road trips. This weekend, we went to the beach on an hour and twenty minute drive and I got over 28mpg. There were a lot of hills too since we had to drive through a canyon.

I have to say, I'm happy with the changes so far.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I took my HRV in last Friday to get the CVT updated and I noticed the changes as soon as I drove off the lot. I've driven it for almost a week now and the main differences I can tell are:
1) It is quicker when you take off from a standstill and more responsive when you press the gas.
2) There is a lot less drag in general, especially when coasting.
3) The automatic and manual "shifts" are a lot smoother.
4) The rubber band effect is a lot less noticeable.
And
5) My gas mileage seems to have improved. I've always had bad gas mileage compared to others here and I always attributed it to my heavier wheels, wider tires, and driving style (I don't drive crazy but I do drive slightly faster than others). I've never seen anything over 26mpg, even on long road trips. This weekend, we went to the beach on an hour and twenty minute drive and I got over 28mpg. There were a lot of hills too since we had to drive through a canyon.

I have to say, I'm happy with the changes so far.
I picked mine up Friday from the dealer after inspection of CVT and reprogramming - and I agree 100% with what you posted
- items #1, 2, 3 & 4 are noticeable immediately. ( i have to wait on the mileage # to confirm) but this was like an upgrade too.
So far so good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I picked mine up Friday from the dealer after inspection of CVT and reprogramming - and I agree 100% with what you posted
- items #1, 2, 3 & 4 are noticeable immediately. ( i have to wait on the mileage # to confirm) but this was like an upgrade too.
So far so good.
Same here. I had my CVT update, along with the replacement of the keyless start button, on Friday and I immediately noticed the difference for the better. I was also tired of seeing the keyless start button lit up on the dash 95% of the time.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
251 Posts
I haven't been contacted (no letter, email or phone call) about the CVT. What should I do, go to the service department?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think we have to conclude that Honda doesn't know what to do to save their CVTs or their customers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
After discussing this with a couple of my engineer buddies we have determined that what most probably happen is once Honda checked your transmission and sees there isn’t any substantial damage they change the program forcing the engine to run faster which in turn puts the location of the belt in reference to the shelves in a different place so it now has a new area to wear around as opposed to where it used to wear hopefully lasting long enough to outlast the warranty basically a CYA for America Honda
I'd say that's pretty unlikely since it would result in a decrease in fuel economy and there's no disclosure of or wavier for a fuel economy decrease like there was when Honda issued an update to address vibration in the 2015 CR-V. That update resulted in a 0.7 MPG fuel economy decrease and the customer had to sign a "customer information statement" before the update was performed.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts