Honda HR-V Forum banner
101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
It is a 2020 model with 47,000 kilometers (29,000 miles). CVT fluid is not due for it's first change according to the maintenance minder, and no indication on Honda's maintenance brochure of the need to change the CVT filter or strainer when the filter is changed.

I recommend to research CVT fluid changes and failures on this forum. There are tons of threads and info.

Your 2020 HRV has likely been on the road for 2 years and now nearly 30 000miles.
In my experience, the CVT fluid is now overdue for a change. A recent thread had pics showing how dark the CVT fluid is at 30 000 miles.
This could be the issue with your CVT and would be the likely 1st step in resolving your CVT issue.
In addition to scanning for any PCM codes.

The HRV owners and maintenance manual is lacking when it comes to CVT maintenance.
The HRV Maintenance Minder is also lacking when it comes to CVT maintenance.

Your HRV is under warranty, either 3 year bumper to bumper or 5 year powertrain or the 7 year extended CVT warranty so take it back to the dealer.
The CVT trans check done by Honda for the CVT trans (the magnet test) is mostly useless.

Unless you can change and analyze the CVT trans fluid yourself, I recommend to pay your Honda dealer for that service.
The 2 CVT filters are fine at your low mileage, unless you find debris in the CVT fluid.

Reactions: John35g

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your input....I will consider selling the car as I have always owned manual transmission cars before this one. I can't see why anyone would want to spend $160 for dealer oil changes and then spend more money every 30000 miles for a dealer transmission fluid change . Do you work for a dealer???

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S
60 Posts
It is a 2020 model with 47,000 kilometers (29,000 miles). CVT fluid is not due for it's first change according to the maintenance minder, and no indication on Honda's maintenance brochure of the need to change the CVT filter or strainer when the filter is changed.
My HRV is also a 2020 model, purchased 2nd June 2020, although they call it a 2021 model because it was the first model to come with Apple Car Play & Android Car Play.
I had my 40,000km Service done on 09/14/2021 and they changed my CVT fluid at that service.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks for your input....I will consider selling the car as I have always owned manual transmission cars before this one. I can't see why anyone would want to spend $160 for dealer oil changes and then spend more money every 30000 miles for a dealer transmission fluid change . Do you work for a dealer???

^^Assuming this is a serious post...

You will SAVE time, money and stress by maintaining your vehicle properly and preventing issues, rather than waiting for issues to turn into larger problems.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Has all ov the cvt issues been taken care of for the 2021 and up models???

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, there is no evidence that Honda redesigned the CVT for 2021 HRV's.

It won't be known for several years if the 2021 HRV CVT's are more reliable than the earlier CVT's.
It is very likely that the 2021 HRV's CVT's are using the latest CVT software mentioned in this TSB/Recall.

It also wont be known for several years if the Honda CVT software update for the 2016-2020 HRV CVT's helps with reliability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it’s helpful for anyone - my 2018 HRV had 64k and started making a terrible noise and having issues shifting. I serviced it perfectly and bought it new. The transmission fluid had be replaced four months prior. Took it in and found out about the recall. They found metal shavings in the transmission fluid. Honda paid to replace my transmission and extended the warranty. Promptly sold it. I loved it and planned on having it longer but after such a large repair with only 64k it was time to move on. I hope this helps others when they have problems, Honda should pay for any repairs!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recommend to research CVT fluid changes and failures on this forum. There are tons of threads and info.

Your 2020 HRV has likely been on the road for 2 years and now nearly 30 000miles.
In my experience, the CVT fluid is now overdue for a change. A recent thread had pics showing how dark the CVT fluid is at 30 000 miles.
This could be the issue with your CVT and would be the likely 1st step in resolving your CVT issue.
In addition to scanning for any PCM codes.

The HRV owners and maintenance manual is lacking when it comes to CVT maintenance.
The HRV Maintenance Minder is also lacking when it comes to CVT maintenance.

Your HRV is under warranty, either 3 year bumper to bumper or 5 year powertrain or the 7 year extended CVT warranty so take it back to the dealer.
The CVT trans check done by Honda for the CVT trans (the magnet test) is mostly useless.

Unless you can change and analyze the CVT trans fluid yourself, I recommend to pay your Honda dealer for that service.
The 2 CVT filters are fine at your low mileage, unless you find debris in the CVT fluid.
I serviced my 2018 transmission according to standard and still had a total failure and needed replacement. Luckily Honda picked up the tab. But that being said, even following all the recommendations still resulted in failure! Huge issue for the car.

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S
60 Posts
I have noticed lately that the CVT in my "Aussie" 2020 HRV is sometimes a bit clunky.
It happens after removing your foot from the accelerator momentarily, then putting your foot back and gently pushing the accelerator down to maintain momentum or slightly increase your speed, especially in traffic situations.

The problem was there before the CVT fluid change, I had hoped that the fluid change would solve the issue, but no!, it seems to getting worse and becoming more frequent.

Has anybody else had or experienced this with their HRV?

·
Registered
405 Posts
If it’s helpful for anyone - my 2018 HRV had 64k and started making a terrible noise and having issues shifting. I serviced it perfectly and bought it new. The transmission fluid had be replaced four months prior. Took it in and found out about the recall. They found metal shavings in the transmission fluid. Honda paid to replace my transmission and extended the warranty. Promptly sold it. I loved it and planned on having it longer but after such a large repair with only 64k it was time to move on. I hope this helps others when they have problems, Honda should pay for any repairs!

Sorry to hear that your 2018 HRV CVT trans failed at 64k miles.

I'm surprised you sold it after the warranty repair.
Even if your 2018 had an in-service date of mid-2017, you still had another 2.5 years and 86k miles warranty left on the CVT.
Perhaps because the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty was expired?

While the HRV is not a perfect vehicle, no vehicle is, it is deadly reliable other than the CVT trans.
While the HRV CVT failures are not rare, they are not common based on total HRV CVT's sold.

Honda's new extended warranty on the HRV CVT trans should alleviate most of the CVT concerns.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts