Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
>> When released to market, 2016 HR-V will claim the highest average MPG in the compact crossover segment

Not for long, I think. In Q3 the CX-3 hits the market. I talked with a senior Mazda rep at the NYC show, and he told me he'll eat his shorts if the CX-3 doesn't hit 40 MPG highway. It'll blow the HRV out of the water, economy wise (but not space wise) - we're talking 5 mpg.

Also, the new Soul gets a 1.5 turbo in September, meaning 40 HP more than the HRV for the same weight, and theoretically, similar economy figures (I'll believe it when I see it - I'm a skeptic you can move a big square box through the air that efficiently).

I think most of us are the tiniest bit disappointed in the HRV's mileage estimates. Very good, but not great - class larger vehicles like the CRV and CX5 do as well. Comparing with cars on the market is hindsight. Comparing to cars hitting the market with the HRV would be more appropriate.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There will always be a newer model coming to market. I don't recall any Honda claiming best mpg or 0-60, etc. but the reason they are so popular is they do everything well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
>> When released to market, 2016 HR-V will claim the highest average MPG in the compact crossover segment

Not for long, I think. In Q3 the CX-3 hits the market. I talked with a senior Mazda rep at the NYC show, and he told me he'll eat his shorts if the CX-3 doesn't hit 40 MPG highway. It'll blow the HRV out of the water, economy wise (but not space wise) - we're talking 5 mpg.

Also, the new Soul gets a 1.5 turbo in September, meaning 40 HP more than the HRV for the same weight, and theoretically, similar economy figures (I'll believe it when I see it - I'm a skeptic you can move a big square box through the air that efficiently).

I think most of us are the tiniest bit disappointed in the HRV's mileage estimates. Very good, but not great - class larger vehicles like the CRV and CX5 do as well. Comparing with cars on the market is hindsight. Comparing to cars hitting the market with the HRV would be more appropriate.
I really doubt that the CX-3 will get the magical 40 mpg when numbers are relased. It probably will do better than the HR-V, but not 40. The Mazda3 currently is rated at 40 mpg highway and the CX-3 will be a little heavyer and less aerodynamic. They will share the same engine.

·
Registered
290 Posts
>> There will always be a newer model coming to market.

The devil in me wants to point out that the HRV is a new model coming to market. :)

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, agree, but look at the HRV as being more well rounded. ;)

I really doubt that the CX-3 will get the magical 40 mpg when numbers are relased. It probably will do better than the HR-V, but not 40. The Mazda3 currently is rated at 40 mpg highway and the CX-3 will be a little heavyer and less aerodynamic. They will share the same engine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
as per an Autoblog article:
"Mazda estimates the CX-3 will achieve 29 miles per gallon in the city and 35 mpg highway" those are the same numbers as the 2WD CVT HR-V, while the CX-s has only 5 more HP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts