Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Hi, that sounds like a worn out pulley tensioner, whenever the A/C compressor kicks on it’s probably putting extra tension on the pulley. It could also be a worn out A/C compressor clutch.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, I am getting a good deal on 2016 HR-V. There is, however, some sound coming from serpentine belt area. Whenever A/C compressor engages, the sound disappears. I don't want to get into anything that is too troublesome to repair. What are your thoughts, is it an easy repair.
Wesley. That YouTube vid of your vehicle??
How many miles on yours? As an old school dude, I would spray a good blast of belt dressing with a/c on and off. If the foul sound disappears or is significantly lessened, I would replace the belt. While replacing the belt check for end play on the tension pulley or grinding/resistance - it should turn smoothly. While your in there check the same on the a/c pulley and for any shaft seal leak. Keep us updated.

· Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
220 Posts
You provided a great clue. Sounds like A/C clutch not fully disengaging and is dragging when the A/C is off. Could be that the pulley bearing is shot causing the pulley to cock. OR the air gap was never set properly to begin with(doubt that unless it was recently worked on). With the A/C off there should be about .020"( I'm guessing) of clearance between the clutch plate and the pulley. Shouldn't be too costly of a repair as long as the compressor itself isn't shot. Grab the clutch plate and try to move the shaft in & out. If it does there could be excessive end play in the compressor shaft...now you are talking a few bucks.

This doesn't sound like a belt noise, but you want to diagnosis a belt noise spray water on the belt, not belt dressing. That stuff was OK 50 years ago but today's belts don't like it. Most times it will create some crazy noises, you'll think that the bearings in your water pump are shot.

FYI: the clutch air gap is adjusted by adding/removing shims from inside the pressure plate hub where it goes over the compressor shaft. Good luck ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts