Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Newbie who watches YouTube to fix basic things on my older Tacoma.

My wife has a 2016 hrv-lx. When I start the car and put it into drive the car will not move. I tried putting it in reverse and neutral and I have the same issue. The car will not budge. It almost feels like the brakes are engaged.

I do not have any lights on my dash staying on and yes, I disengaged the parking/emergency brake. I even played around with the brake hold button to see if that might have anything to do with it.

I tried letting the car run for 20 minutes, I have brake fluid, and I last drove the car yesterday.

Anybody have an easy fix or had something similar happen to them? I’m planning to take it in if warranted but want to make sure I’m getting an accurate diagnostic. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
414 Posts
Was the parking brake used while it was parked just before that? One guess could be the parking brake is refusing to disengage. When my parking brake did that to me, it was because of a faulty switch (found out after dealer diagnosed it), but it did trigger a bunch of lights in the dash. That said, I got it to release by triggering the automatic release (put seat belt on and then put it into gear). But even though it released the brakes and allowed me to drive around, I couldn't use the parking brake until the switch got fixed.

Another possibility I can think of... the parking pawl in the transmission could be stuck.

I'm not a mechanic, so this is just some guessing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It is most likely the over-complicated electronic parking brake.
If this is the case, the electronic parking brake light and error messages should be on.

Jack up the car, check all 4 wheels to see if it is the parking brake on one or both of the rear wheels.
If it is just one of the rear wheels, pull off that wheel and check the connection to the rear parking brake.

If both rear wheels that are locked, then it is something central to the electronic parking brake system.
Perhaps parking brake switch or there must be some kind of electronic parking brake module.

If it's not the parking brake, I hope it's not a CVT or AWD issue.

Reactions: SlowFosho

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Jack it up, see which wheels are locked.

If one, stuck caliper or wheel bearing or something
If 2 rear, suspect electric parking brake
If 2 front, suspect transmission
If all 4, hmm, no clue

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
414 Posts
The front should still be able to rotate (in opposite directions if both wheels are in the air) if the transmission is bad, it still has a diff before going to the wheels.

If all four managed to lock up, one guess could be the brake master cylinder and/or the ABS module, as they both can keep the regular brakes locked on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts