Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a month now my 2016 hrv intermittently wont start. I press the brake and press the start button and it doesnt turn over. Trying it again,the brake pedal is hard to depress ,press the start button and still nothing happens. If I press the start button and put the key fob ,while pressing lock on the fob,the car will start. I've had it to thr dealer 4 times and it starts while there so they say they cant diagnosis it.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
581 Posts
EDIT: OOPS... I just re-read this... but clearly I was reading it wrong. Having a "strikethrough" BB code would be so useful right about now.

Code:
~~

[QUOTE="Peg, post: 454623, member: 63178"]If I press the start button and put the key fob ,while pressing lock on the fob,the car will start.[/QUOTE]

Did you try changing the battery in the fob? Because what you did in the part I quoted is what you're supposed to do when the fob is low on battery.

~~
Continuing the "EDIT"... The actual action you're supposed to take is to put the FOB up to the button, so that if it's low on battery, the sensor should still be able to pick it up. That said, it's possible that pushing the button sent a strong enough signal that the sensor was able to pick up.

Its also possible the mere act of pulling out the key fob "brought it closer" to the sensor too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For a month now my 2016 hrv intermittently wont start. I press the brake and press the start button and it doesnt turn over. Trying it again,the brake pedal is hard to depress ,press the start button and still nothing happens. If I press the start button and put the key fob ,while pressing lock on the fob,the car will start. I've had it to thr dealer 4 times and it starts while there so they say they cant diagnosis it.
The positive battery connection, not the main one but the one that goes through what looks like fuses, is loose and causes my wife's car to not start, just like a dead battery. I think it's just poor design and you cant tighten the connection, both bolt and nut both spin. I've been shoving a drumstick in to wedge the "washer" tight enough to get a connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There was a start button recall - did you get the letter?

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same issue for me--- I have a 2016 HR-V with only 8,000 miles on it --- and this problem happens. Dealer could not diagnose. This only happens in the morning when first trying to start --and brake pedal is very HARD. If I just fool around with the starter for a few minutes - it kicks in and starts. But how long will this luck continue. Dealer is NO help! Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Same issue for me--- I have a 2016 HR-V with only 8,000 miles on it --- and this problem happens. Dealer could not diagnose. This only happens in the morning when first trying to start --and brake pedal is very HARD. If I just fool around with the starter for a few minutes - it kicks in and starts. But how long will this luck continue. Dealer is NO help! Any ideas out there?
did you get the TSB letter on the starter button ? Was that replaced on yours yet ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks 5 Million John 25g!! --What is Honda doing to be so direlectic?? They should know all this crap!

Dennis Derr Roseville CA

·
Registered
7 Posts
John -- Honda still will not fix the problem. So Honda Inc said to go to another dealer --and I have an appointment today--where I purchased the vehicle. We'll see what happens.

Dennis

·
Registered
7 Posts
did you get the TSB letter on the starter button ? Was that replaced on yours yet ?
YES -- I did get the letter and printed it. That should help alot at the other dealer --but not at my Honda repair shop I frequent and where the work should be done.

Dennis

·
Registered
7 Posts
YES -- I did get the letter and printed it. That should help alot at the other dealer --but not at my Honda repair shop I frequent and where the work should be done.

Dennis
I got the work done at another dealer! Free! I did what Honda told me to do -- try another dealer. BUT that letter you sent me John --was the Kicker!! Thanks again!

Dennis Derr Roseville CA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts