Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 HRV with 56,000 miles. In the last 6 months I've started having issues with the key fob light on the dash turning on and off. I've changed the battery and some times it'll stay off for a day or two. I'm August I took it to the dealership and they put in a new "keyless access control box" and said it was faulty. It was actually on backorder bc so many we're failing around the country. This unfortunately didn't take care of the problem so they ended up giving me new keys. This took care of the problem for a few days but then the battery failed. After replacing the battery, they thought that would have fixed the problem but low and behold 2 days later the light started turning on again. It'll always stay on throughout my drive, and sometimes will turn off after sitting over night, but other times it'll be on for days at a time. The dealership is being no help and I have no more confidence in them. Anyone have any ideas or gone through this? I'd honestly am close to just trading it in and getting rid of this headache. But I love the car otherwise! Please HELP! Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They've run back diagnostic tests and they've come back clean. I am going to take it somewhere to see if someone else can get fix it. Other suggestions seem to be yours, replacing the Start Engine button, and checking the door switches. Any other ideas to pass on would be great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2016 HRV with 30,000 miles. I changed my key fob battery thing that would make the light turn off. It did for a day. Then it came back on. Then it went off. Then it came back on. If you find a solution, please let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the car back in and they were able to run a diagnostic test again. This time it came up with a faulty switch assembly, specifically the On/Off Button. Since replacing yesterday, they've been turning the car off and on all day and it has yet to turn back on. Crossing my fingers that this is the final fix....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hmm.. this is good to know. The "smart entry" light came on in my HR-V too (I assume this is what you mean by "key fob light" vs the "low battery" or "no key detected" lights) and stayed on for a bit before disappearing. There was no issue with the key, or smart entry, while the light was on. I ignored it and it went away after a few hours... hope this is not going to be a reoccurring issue!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have the same issue, status light, key not in car. From what I'm reading it is a faulty start/stop ignition switch. Does anyone know the cost to replace this switch?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2016 HR-V and had the same indicator light on. Brought it to Honda and they said it was the battery to my fob. Changed the battery and the light didn't go off. Parts department said it will go off after driving for 1/2 hour. Still had issues. It would go on and off intermittently. When I was getting my oil changed I told them what the parts department said and the light never went off. They said $160 to diagnose what the issue was. $500 plus for a new start/stop switch. I had a fit and they said they would not charge me. They replaced it last Tuesday and it hasn't come on since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have the same issue, status light, key not in car. From what I'm reading it is a faulty start/stop ignition switch. Does anyone know the cost to replace this switch?
I know this is already three months old but did you ever resolve your issue, and how much was the switch? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 2016 HR-V and had the same indicator light on. Brought it to Honda and they said it was the battery to my fob. Changed the battery and the light didn't go off. Parts department said it will go off after driving for 1/2 hour. Still had issues. It would go on and off intermittently. When I was getting my oil changed I told them what the parts department said and the light never went off. They said $160 to diagnose what the issue was. $500 plus for a new start/stop switch. I had a fit and they said they would not charge me. They replaced it last Tuesday and it hasn't come on since.
Expensive but glad you were able to figure out. Is it still running okay? I'm having the same issue. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,419 Posts
Expensive but glad you were able to figure out. Is it still running okay? I'm having the same issue. Thank you!
You could try cleaning the connectors to the start button. See my post here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having same problem for months. I've had the start button replaced and replaced both fob batteries and the car battery. One day everything is fine; the next day there is a "no key" message and I have to push the start button with the fob (The fob that the car thinks isn't there!) I have taken data for about two weeks and cannot find any patterns!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Start/Stop button seems to be the problem, and the dirty connections therein. Cleaning was very easy. Carefully pry off trim around Start/Stop button, remove button assembly and spray harness connector and internal gold metal parts of switch assembly. Reassemble, replace, and light goes off. I read where some people replaced their switch and light stays on, but they don't mention if they had also used the electrical spray cleaner in the original harness connector. Anyway, worked for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having same problem for months. I've had the start button replaced and replaced both fob batteries and the car battery. One day everything is fine; the next day there is a "no key" message and I have to push the start button with the fob (The fob that the car thinks isn't there!) I have taken data for about two weeks and cannot find any patterns!
Same problem, as well as drivers side door not unlocking or locking with buttons only manually... Honda has me quite angry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts