Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2016 HRV 6 Spd Manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have seen several posts for the door ajar light being on, and the suspicion that water may be at play or the D rings might be amiss.

Door ajar light came on recently. The tailgate D ring in fact was VERY loose, and without noticing that I tried closing the tailgate. Broke pieces of the latch/lock. Have self-replaced the latch/lock via Honda Parts Now.

Door ajar light is still on, with the annoying little ding. Have checked all D rings and all are good.

1. I can find the buttons or sensors for the people-doors, but I cannot find the sensor for the tailgate. Any pointers?

2. Has been wet/rainy, however I'm seeing no water in the latch well unlike others' posts I've seen. In your experience, is this a water related issue? Any no-kidding-here's-how-to-fix-this advice out there?

Appreciate any pointers.

· Registered
775 Posts
The HRV hatchback/tailgate open sensor/switch is integrated into the latch assembly. Similar to front hood latch assembly.

It can be seen that Honda has subbed the HRV latch assembly part number a couple of times.
Hopefully they re-designed it and improved it.

· Registered
775 Posts
Thank you, CalgaryHRV. That is the exact part and source of my December 2022 purchase! Any clue as to my next step?

There are 5 sensor/switches that can activate the door ajar light on the HRV dash.
The 4 doors and the rear hatch.

Despite the replacement of your rear hatch latch assembly, are you sure that is still causing your door ajar light to activate and not one of the other 4 doors?

Have you checked the door switches for all 4 doors?
Checked all the plungers in the rubber covers?
Checked the wires to the rear hatch latch sensor?

The Honda dealer can scan and check an error log for an intermittent door/hatch/hood sensor setting off the security alarm, perhaps they can also run diags on the door switches to determine which one is causing your issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts