Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda HR-V EX 6-speed manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a solution but haven't quite found what I'm looking for yet.

Since adding Android Auto to the existing hardware in a 2017 HR-V EX doesn't seem to be an option... I'm looking at swapping out the stock head unit.

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • back-up camera functions correctly
  • steering wheel controls function as they do now (or have the ability to customize button function) - I care most about being able to answer and end calls as well as basic audio controls (next, previous, volume, etc.) with the buttons on my steering wheel
  • must have Android Auto

Every thread I've read so far seems to focus a lot on getting the lane watch camera to function the way it does with the stock equipment. Honestly, I hate that camera. I find it very distracting and I have it set to not come on when I turn on my signal. I couldn't care less about getting the lane watch camera to function correctly...as long as I'm able to disable it, I'll be happy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which head unit I should go with to accomplish this? At a minimum I'd like to at least have some idea of what specs to look for.

I've also been reading that the stock USB port can't be connected to aftermarket equipment. Is there a good workaround for this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
549 Posts
That's definitely less than helpful.
Well, if you go to crutchfield’s website, then input your specific trim, you can then search for aftermarket head units that meet your criteria. They’ll also show what additional bits you might need (steering control adapter) to get things working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if you go to crutchfield’s website, then input your specific trim, you can then search for aftermarket head units that meet your criteria. They’ll also show what additional bits you might need (steering control adapter) to get things working.
Yes, I know. I did that. And then i started reading some of the posts on here and discovered some of the issues others have had with compatibility with the aftermarket equipment. Just trying to get it right the first time and not waste money.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
549 Posts
Yes, I know. I did that. And then i started reading some of the posts on here and discovered some of the issues others have had with compatibility with the aftermarket equipment. Just trying to get it right the first time and not waste money.
Were the units with issues, one of the options crutchfield gave you? CF is pretty decent on telling what will and what won’t work.

People tend to do what they want for their own reasons, so i wouldn't put it past them to pick something without sufficient research and then complain about the issues.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well I bought a Kenwood DNX697S navigation set up with the iDatalink interface -Im in the process of benchwiring the harnesses now
just some warmer weather needed and i can install (hopefully soon !)
So far Kenwood seems to be the most straight foward to wire up and connect with the iDatalink and Honda.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I bought a Kenwood DNX697S navigation set up with the iDatalink interface -Im in the process of benchwiring the harnesses now
just some warmer weather needed and i can install (hopefully soon !)
So far Kenwood seems to be the most straight foward to wire up and connect with the iDatalink and Honda.
Thanks a bunch for the info! I also appreciate you not trying to explain how to use crutchfield as if I'm an idiot :)

I'm interested to know how well your install works out. Please let me know?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the info! I also appreciate you not trying to explain how to use crutchfield as if I'm an idiot :)

I'm interested to know how well your install works out. Please let me know?
I will- now the weather is warmer it will be very soon.I I am starting to benchwire everything and downloading the iDatalink software as required- should finish this portion this weekend (possibly). Then i need a few hours on a sunday morning to install! ( fingers crossed)
I have a few pages of wiring to do

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 HR-V. Dynamat-ed. Rockin Sounds.
39 Posts
I will- now the weather is warmer it will be very soon.I I am starting to benchwire everything and downloading the iDatalink software as required- should finish this portion this weekend (possibly). Then i need a few hours on a sunday morning to install! ( fingers crossed)
I have a few pages of wiring to do
How did it go? Got my CF order coming next week... Did you run into any issues?

·
Registered
575 Posts
How did it go? Got my CF order coming next week... Did you run into any issues?
I've not started it - need some time
BUT - i have laid out most wiring - a few "unsure" connections- and I may need to contact Crutchfield to see what i may need-
they may have not given me a Idatalink cable - OR i use some AUX input instead- not a lot of 100% sure how to do this -

also the antenna connection for the radio portion -they have an antenna and a blue wire connected to it- NONE of the written directions indicate what this wire does- its blue but im not sure if it is an output from radio, or it gets wired as input to the idatta link wiring. I think its an output- so I have to figure out which of the 2 wires get connected.
Seems to be an information disconnect between Cruchfiled and the Imaestro adapters they sent- the diagrams are not 100% clear and some info is missing.
I assume the camera inputs are just the RCA connections- that maybe only half the battle.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Update- almost complete- one wire is in question ....should have all wired up this week if i get answers - THEN the swap, and programming etc.

·
Registered
575 Posts
YIKES! Looks like spaghetti to me. Good luck with it!
It was daunting to look at- then it was " oh - well 8 wires are speaker connections - so that was a given - then the 3 power/ground and constant power were also expected . one you got those out of the way the final ones were pretty much color to color match up.
The curve ball is the Honda FM antenna adapter - it has a blue wire that I am not sure where to connect to- (either the Kenwood harness or the iMaestor harness - and that may leave me with one "extra wire" - No documents mention the adapter having a blue wire connected.
and the Imaestro Data connector wire- its either missing, or not used. (the cable I think i may use does not look like the wire connectors in the paper diagram).
The USB and Camera RCA jacks are also pretty straight forward too.
I hope there is enough room to put all this stuff behind the radio when i cram it in the dash!

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
251 Posts
The curve ball is the Honda FM antenna adapter - it has a blue wire that I am not sure where to connect to- (either the Kenwood harness or the iMaestor harness - and that may leave me with one "extra wire" - No documents mention the adapter having a blue wire connected.
This is a seven year old memory but here goes...

I had a similar problem with my Pioneer install in my other car. The Pioneer harness had a blue/white wire, the Metra harness had a blue wire and the antenna adapter had a blue wire. I just now went back and looked at all of my installation manual(s) papers, notes and pictures and did not write down what I did with that blue wire. The Pioneer manual said connect it to the amplifier for the antenna, the Metra instructions said do not connect it to that harness and the antenna adapter (with the blue wire) didn't say anything at all. Now, here comes the memory part, I think that I connected the blue wire from the Pioneer harness to the blue wire on the antenna adapter and left the Metra harness disconnected. You can hook everything up and leave that wire to test, connect the Kenwood harness blue wire to the antenna adapter blue wire, and if it's correct then it will improve the reception of the FM signal.

·
Registered
575 Posts
This is a seven year old memory but here goes...

I had a similar problem with my Pioneer install in my other car. The Pioneer harness had a blue/white wire, the Metra harness had a blue wire and the antenna adapter had a blue wire. I just now went back and looked at all of my installation manual(s) papers, notes and pictures and did not write down what I did with that blue wire. The Pioneer manual said connect it to the amplifier for the antenna, the Metra instructions said do not connect it to that harness and the antenna adapter (with the blue wire) didn't say anything at all. Now, here comes the memory part, I think that I connected the blue wire from the Pioneer harness to the blue wire on the antenna adapter and left the Metra harness disconnected. You can hook everything up and leave that wire to test, connect the Kenwood harness blue wire to the antenna adapter blue wire, and if it's correct then it will improve the reception of the FM signal.
Thanks ! I am calling 2 tech lines later to see if they clear it up ( or confuse me more )

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well i was confused with my calls to Maestro and Crutchfield - they both said to connect the 3 dark blue wires together.......but there were only 2 wires ( the antenna adapter to the Kenwood harness) to connect. My confidence in them was not great (past experience), and now I figured they are just looking at diagrams on a screen and some of that info is wrong to begin with.
I did follow HR-V LX AWD advice and it makes sense...... the Antenna adapter wire dark blue to the Kenwood ANTENNA dark blue wire, and then the Maestro harness light blue w/white to the Kenwood light blue w/white - is the way i wired it.
Both comapanies did say I needed the DATA CABLE like their documents indicated - and it " should be in the box", but it wasn't. So just in case I have one coming and that should be the final piece before I open the dash.
Should be plug n play at this point- no splicing of factory wires etc.
my goal is to retain most steering wheel controls, have Sirius radio, use my USB cables and ports for ipod etc, full navigation ( that is better than Honda's), and of course better sound quality and adjust-ability in the sound that the Kenwood Excelion radios have done me right in the past.
-also looking foward to the Gauges option that allows me to se what the drivetrain computer sees with regards to engine temps and voltage etc. That is always a plus in my book !

·
Registered
2017 HR-V. Dynamat-ed. Rockin Sounds.
39 Posts
How did it turn out?!
Mine is going well... I just need to work out the amp grounding. Thought I had a good spot, but I'm getting a 0.9 V drop from battery terminals (14.4 V) to amp (13.5 V). Plus, the head unit resets randomly, and I think the amp is shutting it down due to the poor ground. Car looked crazy with interior out to lay Dynamat! Worth the effort though.

·
Registered
575 Posts
not installed yet- need to flash the Maestro module, then i can remove the dash and install everything.
My intent is this holiday weekend - i put the metra frame on the radio last night.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Which camera RCA jack did you use for the side lane mirror watch ?
with the Kenwood i have been reading that in order to get the turn stalk signal top activate it, it needs to be plugged into in the "FRONT CAMERA" RCA .

I was planning on the using " 3RD view camera" and programming it accordingly.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts