Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2017 HR-V. Dynamat-ed. Rockin Sounds.
39 Posts
Which camera RCA jack did you use for the side lane mirror watch ?
with the Kenwood i have been reading that in order to get the turn stalk signal top activate it, it needs to be plugged into in the "FRONT CAMERA" RCA .

I was planning on the using " 3RD view camera" and programming it accordingly.
I also read the front view works on JVC/Kenwood (same company), so that's what I used. Confirmed front view RCA works, but I don't see why 3rd view wouldn't work with the proper programming.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Update- ( will post pics later)-
install went fairly quick -only 2 issues right now ( major) ;
1. I used an old click wheel ipod for all my music storage (left it in the glove box and plugged into the USB) - the Kenwood does not recognize it ( only 6th gen itpod touch and later iPods will work) - so I am out of luck to unless i get new itouch or use a USB with all my music ( which i will probably do)- not a big deal.

2.This one annoys me- The OEM Sirius module is hardwired into the old head so there is no direct cable to plug into the new Kenwood- I did not know that, and no indication in any documents that I read gave me heads up. I spent 15 minutes looking for the Sirius plug in the dash, to plug into the new Kenwood. After a call to Crutchfield they indicated that the OEM system is hardwired into to car and can be accesses via the Maestro idatalink - BUT so far i get " device not found" error messages when i use the satellite button (not the Sirius button on the display). I am not sure if it is programming or wiring issue right now.
An option i was looking at would be to replace the OEM module with a sirius one that is made for aftermarket radios etc- then the cable would plug right in to the KENWOOD, and I can use their widget and interface . I would consider this IF i do not like the SAT interface, AND if we get it to work. Need to look into an adapter to get the Honda shark fin antenna to plug into the sirirus module first. I want to reuse the sat antenna/shark-fin on the roof without any mods. Right now everything can be unplugged and replaced if needed with the OEM set up.

Love the sound stage, the navigation is friendly , the buttons react quickly, both cameras work as if from the factory, phone pairs up well, all good stuff.
The guages are cool feature as is the car monitoring - i wil try USB monitoring if/when i get Apple Carplay set up too.

Minor issues:
1.the Climate control popped upon the screen everytime you touch a button on the factory climate controller- just annoying - i think i know how to shut off that.( CLIMATE ALARM I think ??) and all the temps are in Celsius ????
2. the face of the radio looks smaller in the dash panel, but they have real buttons on the side and that I like !. Looks odds but not horrible.
3. not a fan of the loose microphone- Im trying to find a location for a perm install that i will like. (damn them for NOT putting a mic in the head unit like Honda does !)
4. NOT a lot of room behind in the dash for all the wires and datalink module.

So far 8 out of 10 stars ( with reservation on that, until the SAT issue is worked out)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well learned a lesson ( which would have been nicer to learn upfront) - the Maestro techs tell me they cannot communicate with factory XM module - so once again CRUTCHFIELD is wrong. 2017 looses factory XM radio. Total bummer.
Now I have to get another device (aftermarket tuner) and jury rig an XM radio to HONDA antenna connection for the OEM sharkfin.
or figure out how to run and use the XM antenna they send me.( last resort IMO)

Not thrilled with this scenario, BUT the radio is awesome (once again Crutchfield is NOT- as I recall my 2007 Civic radio swap with them years ago..... UGH)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well learned a lesson ( which would have been nicer to learn upfront) - the Maestro techs tell me they cannot communicate with factory XM module - so once again CRUTCHFIELD is wrong. 2017 looses factory XM radio. Total bummer.
Now I have to get another device (aftermarket tuner) and jury rig an XM radio to HONDA antenna connection for the OEM sharkfin.
or figure out how to run and use the XM antenna they send me.( last resort IMO)

Not thrilled with this scenario, BUT the radio is awesome (once again Crutchfield is NOT- as I recall my 2007 Civic radio swap with them years ago..... UGH)
I assumed since the HU has Sirius, it would be straightforward to setup. Thanks for the heads up, thats not the case! I've been thinking about getting it and its good to know going into this that I may also need to extra connections and equipment. Did you get it working yet?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Update- ( will post pics later)-
install went fairly quick -only 2 issues right now ( major) ;
1. I used an old click wheel ipod for all my music storage (left it in the glove box and plugged into the USB) - the Kenwood does not recognize it ( only 6th gen itpod touch and later iPods will work) - so I am out of luck to unless i get new itouch or use a USB with all my music ( which i will probably do)- not a big deal.

2.This one annoys me- The OEM Sirius module is hardwired into the old head so there is no direct cable to plug into the new Kenwood- I did not know that, and no indication in any documents that I read gave me heads up. I spent 15 minutes looking for the Sirius plug in the dash, to plug into the new Kenwood. After a call to Crutchfield they indicated that the OEM system is hardwired into to car and can be accesses via the Maestro idatalink - BUT so far i get " device not found" error messages when i use the satellite button (not the Sirius button on the display). I am not sure if it is programming or wiring issue right now.
An option i was looking at would be to replace the OEM module with a sirius one that is made for aftermarket radios etc- then the cable would plug right in to the KENWOOD, and I can use their widget and interface . I would consider this IF i do not like the SAT interface, AND if we get it to work. Need to look into an adapter to get the Honda shark fin antenna to plug into the sirirus module first. I want to reuse the sat antenna/shark-fin on the roof without any mods. Right now everything can be unplugged and replaced if needed with the OEM set up.

Love the sound stage, the navigation is friendly , the buttons react quickly, both cameras work as if from the factory, phone pairs up well, all good stuff.
The guages are cool feature as is the car monitoring - i wil try USB monitoring if/when i get Apple Carplay set up too.

Minor issues:
1.the Climate control popped upon the screen everytime you touch a button on the factory climate controller- just annoying - i think i know how to shut off that.( CLIMATE ALARM I think ??) and all the temps are in Celsius ????
2. the face of the radio looks smaller in the dash panel, but they have real buttons on the side and that I like !. Looks odds but not horrible.
3. not a fan of the loose microphone- Im trying to find a location for a perm install that i will like. (damn them for NOT putting a mic in the head unit like Honda does !)
4. NOT a lot of room behind in the dash for all the wires and datalink module.

So far 8 out of 10 stars ( with reservation on that, until the SAT issue is worked out)
Nice job! I totally agree, the climate popup is annoying. Did find out how to shut it off? I haven't looked into it yet. My tems are in deg F, and I recall there was some setup for that but dont if that was through Maestro or the HU. Probably Maestro.

I have a different HU, but Sirius should be a similar process for me since its JVC (same comapany as Kenwood)... I don't have Sirius now, but interested and I'll see what it would take for me. Did you already get yours working?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I assumed since the HU has Sirius, it would be straightforward to setup. Thanks for the heads up, thats not the case! I've been thinking about getting it and its good to know going into this that I may also need to extra connections and equipment. Did you get it working yet?
Nope- right now i ordered a new "aftermarket" sirius unit and some antenna adapters - hope one works. The last thing i want to do is attempt to install the aftermarket XM antenna.
Doing a lot of research on these coax and FAKRA connectors (LOL) - will see when i get my stuff today and this weekend, and maybe next weekend can install. I even ordrered a custom made antenna adapter coming next week - allegedly it is plug and play with HONDA. (I'm too old and skeptical)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I also dig the stand you made there while you're wiring! That's a great idea.
Thanks- some scrap wood and glue etc added felt along the top and back -
it sits over the shifter and allows me to remove and install without scratches to anything and very convenient. Test all before putting back into the dash etc - I learned from a few past mistakes.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Nice job! I totally agree, the climate popup is annoying. Did find out how to shut it off? I haven't looked into it yet. My tems are in deg F, and I recall there was some setup for that but dont if that was through Maestro or the HU. Probably Maestro.

I have a different HU, but Sirius should be a similar process for me since its JVC (same comapany as Kenwood)... I don't have Sirius now, but interested and I'll see what it would take for me. Did you already get yours working?
Shut off the 'CLIMATE ALERT' setting in the maestro OEM set up files -( one thing is Maestro does not give you much info on what is going on- lots of options, but no guide )- i did contact them for a downloadable manual etc if they have one....wait and see.
I thought climate alert would alert of say freezing temps/ice or something- it seems to be more of an alert ANYTIME any climate control button is pressed..... maybe helpful if you have a rear zone temp control in a minivan full of kids ???
I'm playing some CDs and no track info etc pops up on any of them..... that is my newest gltich. I also have to check a firmware update from Kenwood ( will do that tomorrow and connect my ipod/music and attempt to USB mirror the wife's phone too)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Shut off the 'CLIMATE ALERT' setting in the maestro OEM set up files -( one thing is Maestro does not give you much info on what is going on- lots of options, but no guide )- i did contact them for a downloadable manual etc if they have one....wait and see.
I thought climate alert would alert of say freezing temps/ice or something- it seems to be more of an alert ANYTIME any climate control button is pressed..... maybe helpful if you have a rear zone temp control in a minivan full of kids ???
I'm playing some CDs and no track info etc pops up on any of them..... that is my newest gltich. I also have to check a firmware update from Kenwood ( will do that tomorrow and connect my ipod/music and attempt to USB mirror the wife's phone too)
Thanks! I also had to update firmware. Mine was two versions behind.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Final update - the adapter cable I needed worked perfectly ( the Honda XM antenna has a male keyed plastic housing (also it's unique) so the adapter I bought was some part that was hand made.
Clipped right into factory pigtail- and some electrical tape was used to secure it- didn't have to remove the old XM module or anything. The entire install is plug and play and totally removable- and the OEM can be reinstalled if needed. ( including all 6 speakers)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts