Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, have a problem with my 2017 LX that just popped up. For some reason I can only open the tailgate when I push the tailgate button on the fob. Hitting unlock twice is only working for the four doors. I've had the car for almost 3 years and this started out of nowhere. It's happening with both fobs. I did read the owner's manual and did not see anything that would help me resolve this. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,671 Posts
Probably a bad switch on the tailgate release if you can only activate it with fob.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Probably a bad switch on the tailgate release if you can only activate it with fob.
I disagree. Under normal operation, pressing the tailgate release button on the key unlocks the tailgate while keeping the other four doors locked, and allows for the tailgate to be opened once using the tailgate release switch. It's doing just that, so that function is fine.

Since the tailgate unlocks with the key fob's tailgate release button, I think we can rule out the power door lock actuator for the tailgate and the tailgate release that's between the license plate lights. Something is telling the tailgate release to not unlock when the key fob unlock button is pressed twice.

Does the tailgate unlock if you use the unlock button on the driver's side door? Or by putting the key in the door, turning it, and holding it until all the doors unlock?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I disagree. Under normal operation, pressing the tailgate release button on the key unlocks the tailgate while keeping the other four doors locked, and allows for the tailgate to be opened once using the tailgate release switch. It's doing just that, so that function is fine.

Since the tailgate unlocks with the key fob's tailgate release button, I think we can rule out the power door lock actuator for the tailgate and the tailgate release that's between the license plate lights. Something is telling the tailgate release to not unlock when the key fob unlock button is pressed twice.

Does the tailgate unlock if you use the unlock button on the driver's side door? Or by putting the key in the door, turning it, and holding it until all the doors unlock?
The tailgate should only unlock if using the inside door lock/unlock - not the outside (door handle button )- no ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
The tailgate should only unlock if using the inside door lock/unlock - not the outside (door handle button )- no ?
Like @AWaldo , I have an LX, so no push-button start, smart key entry, or button on the door handle. I have a key hole in the driver's door handle.

The tailgate on the LX unlocks if:
  1. The interior PDL "unlock" button is pressed.
  2. The key is inserted in the door, turned to the "unlock" position (I forget which way that is), and held there for two seconds.
  3. The key fob "unlock" button is pressed twice in quick succession.
  4. The key fob "trunk release" button is pressed.
So far, @AWaldo has confirmed that condition #4 unlocks the tailgate, and condition #3 does not. Since condition #4 unlocks the tailgate, that likely rules out the PDL actuator and the release switch on the tailgate itself (the one between the license plate lights that you press with your fingers to open the tailgate).

Since it's happening with both key fobs, I'm thinking it could be an issue with the Body Control Module. I'm not familiar with how the PDL system works on the HR-V, but I suspect that it all routes through the BCM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts