Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2003 and 2007 Accord with 2.4L 4 cyl K24 engines. The oil in these engines will only slightly darken from light amber to dark amber with a year of driving or about 15,000 km.

In my wife's 2018 1.8L 4 cyl HRV, the oil is black in about 1,200 km. It's been like this from day 1, bought new at the Dealer.

This quick blackening of the oil for the HRV suggests poor fuel management.

Please share your experiences and thoughts about these observations.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,073 Posts
I have had a 05 accord and a 2015 HRV at the same time for a few years. Their used oil looked no different. My HRV had great mileage. Neither car burnt oil.

My suggestion is to have your used oil analyzed. Either to confirm your fear or it is normal.

The test is $30

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have noticed similar in our 2016 HRV with about 85,000km/52000miles on it.

It's quite dark at 5000km/3000miles, while the oil in our 2006 K24 Acura TSX engine is not nearly as dark at 5000km.

Since the HRV 1.8L is not direct injected it's highly unlikely that it's fuel.
The engine oil level in our HRV does not go up or down between oil changes.
If fuel is getting in the engine oil, the level will go up.

I think the reason is that the HRV 1.8L has such a small oil filter and such a small quantity of engine oil in it.
Our Acura K24 TSX engine takes a full 5 US quarts/5L of oil and has a larger oil filter.

Driving habits could affect this also. Short driving cycles, lots of idling, etc. could be a factor.

Reactions: John35g

·
Administrator
2,073 Posts
The oil filter in the accord and HRV are the same. Accord recommends 5W-20 and HRV 0W-20. I have been using 0W-20 for both. So I don't have to buy 2 different grades of oil. I use full synthetic in both if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The oil filter in the accord and HRV are the same. Accord recommends 5W-20 and HRV 0W-20. I have been using 0W-20 for both. So I don't have to buy 2 different grades of oil. I use full synthetic in both if that makes any difference.

Lol, you made me go to our garage!

I like thicker engine oil in everything.
10W-30 conventional in our winter only HRV. Sometimes synthetic.
10W-40 conventional in our summer only TSX. Sometimes synthetic.
I haven't noticed any difference in our HRV in what type, weight and brand of oil I use.

2016 HRV 1.8L on the left.
2006 TSX 2.4L on the right.

Drinkware Tableware Cup Table Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have had an Honda R18 engine since 2007 -in my Civic, and now my HR-V - i never noticed it turning black 'too quickly' - prob about 14 days or so its noticeably darker on the dip stick when checking the level.
when i drain and change - they have always been black, and look like used oil to me.

·
Administrator
2,073 Posts
Lol, you made me go to our garage!

I like thicker engine oil in everything.
10W-30 conventional in our winter only HRV. Sometimes synthetic.
10W-40 conventional in our summer only TSX. Sometimes synthetic.
I haven't noticed any difference in our HRV in what type, weight and brand of oil I use.

2016 HRV 1.8L on the left.
2006 TSX 2.4L on the right.

View attachment 34860

If possible I use the same grade for all my cars. So I don't have to keep track of which is which, just grab a jug from the garage without looking. Interesting you are using thicker than recommended oil in the winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts