Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Yikes, don't know about the look of that front end... Also, I'm confused - are those LED DRLs (up top) decoupled from the headlights...? Then fogs down below?? :confused:

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got around to test drive one. The dual clutch is not as bad as the reviews I have read. People were not too crazy about the CVT at first. It will seem odd if one hasn't driven a manual before. It is not as smooth as auto or CVT from the start. As for Kona, it has everything current owners wish HRV should have had.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #8
They are getting better. They were kind of like Yugo when they first arrived here. Maybe not as bad. Honda is still more reliable, but lately they are trending the wrong direction with all the cost cuttings.

Registered
They are getting better. They were kind of like Yugo when they first arrived here. Maybe not as bad. Honda is still more reliable, but lately they are trending the wrong direction with all the cost cuttings.
I've read about all the minor issues with later model Hondas but they haven't scared me away from Honda just yet. If they get any worse by the time I'm in the market for my next new car though, I'd probably look into get a Toyota or Nissan before a Hyundai. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Kona, but I've had coworkers and friends with newer Kias and Hyundais with issues like bad starters, alternators, ignition coils, etc. Even with these recent problems that Hondas have had, I just don't think their quality is up to par with them or some other Japanese cars. That's just my opinion though.

Registered
I've read about all the minor issues with later model Hondas but they haven't scared me away from Honda just yet. If they get any worse by the time I'm in the market for my next new car though, I'd probably look into get a Toyota or Nissan before a Hyundai. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Kona, but I've had coworkers and friends with newer Kias and Hyundais with issues like bad starters, alternators, ignition coils, etc. Even with these recent problems that Hondas have had, I just don't think their quality is up to par with them or some other Japanese cars. That's just my opinion though.
Im at that point. As of right now, this will be my last Honda. Nothing but problems with my HRV. I鈥檒l keep it as long as possible, but when it comes for a new car, I will look elsewhere. I鈥檓 also not ready to jump on the Korean made boat yet though.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I'm about to jump the boat. I have driven 5 Hondas over the years. This is the only one I have concern about. My warranty is over and hearing odd noise from the car (not from the drive train) . Thought about the CRV, but too big. CX-3 will not have a redesign for few more years. Next gen of HRV will still be made in Mexico. Stay tuned.:)

Registered
Well, I'm about to jump the boat. I have driven 5 Hondas over the years. This is the only one I have concern about. My warranty is over and hearing odd noise from the car (not from the drive train) . Thought about the CRV, but too big. CX-3 will not have a redesign for few more years. Next gen of HRV will still be made in Mexico. Stay tuned.:)
Let us know how you like it and take pics.

Registered
I haven't had any problems with my 2015 HR-V, but the made in Mexico is not great.
I can tell the big difference with my 2017 Civic Hatch Turbo, these are made in the UK.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #14
Not everyone has issue with their HRV.

Yes, the turbo makes a big difference. :) But I always find the HRV has adequate power.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I had the Kona for a week.

The things I missed about the HRV are the cargo space, magic seats and milage. What convinced me to buy it was the build quality. Everything aligned and gaps are even. It just more solidly built. It seems people cared about the products they built. Unlike current HRV.

Some interesting observations:

* For my first tank, the milage was 34mpg (turbo). First tank on my HRV was 36mpg.

* Insurance went up $8/month.

* The battery is an AGM type.

* No oil monitor, 7.5K miles oil change and 6K miles for turbo. 5W-30 oil. I should not have stockpiled so much 0W-20 :(

* I have said HRV power was adequate. If there is an option, get the turbo for any car. :)

* Multilink rear suspension for AWD only, otherwise torsion.

* People have complained the rear diff and brake rotors are getting rusted so early on their HRV. Those areas on the Kona are painted.

* The HUD is more useful than I thought. Every car should have one. I seldom look down at the instrument panel.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #17
I think Hyundai is trying to gain market share. $2K+ off the sticker is not unusual. Also additional $500 off for grads, extra $1K (normal $500) off for vets during memorial week and $500 down payment match. So, if you have been in the service and just got your college degree. you can get $4K+ off the sticker. :)

Registered
No doubt about it. The Koreans are out to eat the Japanese' lunch, everybody knows it in the industry, dealers are scrambling to try to get a Hyundai franchise or even Kia. I think the Kona will be my next SUV, unless Honda really ups their game in a couple years.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot. The top end model has a cellular connection to the car. You can start your car, set temperate, and open doors with an app. The first 3 years are free and about $100 per year afterward.

Registered
I can attest to the build quality (and lack thereof) of a Hyundai vs the HRV vs Kia. I've been a loyal Kia customer but due to certain cisrcumstances out of my control I had to go to the HRV because of it's bang-for-the-buck and good MPGs.
I installed front and rear dashcams on both mine and my wife's vehicles and good news/bad news, installing it on my HRV was much easier than my wife's Veloster because the panels are much tighter on hers and the build quality is just more solid. The HRV is way more pliable and dare I say "loose".
At one point, I was coming out of my HRV's rear driver's side door while I was installing the camera and my knee hit the plastic trim above the tire well and it snapped off. Read: my KNEE knocked the panel off, and I didn't feel any pain.
My Kia Optima had a similar, very good build quality to that of Hyundai.

BTW, has anyone seen the Kia Stinger???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts