Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to learn more about my air intake system and how it works because I’m want to learn more about my car so I can decide what I want to do with it. But I’m on a budget still so I might aswell learn, plus it looks odd how’s it is, instead of being a straight connection to the filter to the engine it goes down.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Vehicle

·
Registered
666 Posts
all the 'chambers' are resonators - they are tuned and designed to help the torque curve on engines etc - some to smooth them out etc. Also helps to quiet intake/air induction sound too.
Very indirect route on the HRV
Font Rectangle Parallel Auto part Slope

Gesture Font Auto part Parallel Drawing

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thank you for the info. But I feel like it gives the car a slower response to the car.
probably - but longer intake tubes have tendency to increase torque - I had a short K&M intake on this same engine (in a CIVIC)
- and the bottom end was hurt- had to get the revs up to feel it move. Horrible for a street car with a small engine like this R18.
AEM makes an intake that looks pretty good in place of this - alas it is still not CARB approved.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
probably - but longer intake tubes have tendency to increase torque - I had a short K&M intake on this same engine (in a CIVIC)
- and the bottom end was hurt- had to get the revs up to feel it move. Horrible for a street car with a small engine like this R18.
AEM makes an intake that looks pretty good in place of this - alas it is still not CARB approved.
Soo it’sa trade off? I feel like with the intake system it has stock doesn’t provide well enough air in to the even while driving causing damage long term but then again I’m not an engineer

·
Registered
404 Posts
There are a few of us who have analyzed and modified the HRV engine air intake system.
Some have installed in the pricey AEM intake system but I just modified the stock system.
There is no evidence that modding the HRV intake or installing the AEM intake system will add any power at all.

The OEM HRV system is totally lame, designed to reduce noise and drone with 2 resonators.
It is a cold air intake though, drawing air from in front of the radiator and it's not really restrictive for the small, low performance 1.8L engine.

The intake air temps on the HRV are extremely high as can be seen on an OBDII monitor like the Scangauge I use.

The large resonator in between the engine and radiator is useless and in the way of checking the CVT fluid level.
It's comes out easily and then block off the lower port.
The small resonator on the top of the air filter box is in the way of lifting the air filter box.
Remove and plug that one.
Then toss in a K & N air filter. I have been using oiled K & N filters for over 20 years on all our vehicles with no issues.
They are not for everyone.

Then bypass the HRV throttle body coolant heater.
These mods will greatly lower the engine intake air temps, and make the engine much easier to service, for very little cost.
At least now the engine has a chance to run properly.

Here are some links for details:

If you analyze the HRV exhaust system, you will notice that lame, ugly resonator "can" under the passenger door.
I removed that one also. Gave our HRV some exhaust tone, burble and attitude for very little cost. :)
Zero power gain.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Unless you are lucky enough with the factory 1.5t, this car is not meant to be anything close to a performer. It’s sole purpose is utility and getting from point a to point b.
I definitely did not buy this car expecting it to race with Porsche’s.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Unless you are lucky enough with the factory 1.5t, this car is not meant to be anything close to a performer. It’s sole purpose is utility and getting from point a to point b.
I definitely did not buy this car expecting it to race with Porsche’s.
1.5Turbo - w
There are a few of us who have analyzed and modified the HRV engine air intake system.
Some have installed in the pricey AEM intake system but I just modified the stock system.
There is no evidence that modding the HRV intake or installing the AEM intake system will add any power at all.

The OEM HRV system is totally lame, designed to reduce noise and drone with 2 resonators.
It is a cold air intake though, drawing air from in front of the radiator and it's not really restrictive for the small, low performance 1.8L engine.

The intake air temps on the HRV are extremely high as can be seen on an OBDII monitor like the Scangauge I use.

The large resonator in between the engine and radiator is useless and in the way of checking the CVT fluid level.
It's comes out easily and then block off the lower port.
The small resonator on the top of the air filter box is in the way of lifting the air filter box.
Remove and plug that one.
Then toss in a K & N air filter. I have been using oiled K & N filters for over 20 years on all our vehicles with no issues.
They are not for everyone.

Then bypass the HRV throttle body coolant heater.
These mods will greatly lower the engine intake air temps, and make the engine much easier to service, for very little cost.
At least now the engine has a chance to run properly.

Here are some links for details:

If you analyze the HRV exhaust system, you will notice that lame, ugly resonator "can" under the passenger door.
I removed that one also. Gave our HRV some exhaust tone, burble and attitude for very little cost. :)
Zero power gain.
They do have DYNO chart they posted - as evidence, but I agree it may not translate to much in the end.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts