Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 hrv sport and notice the throttle surges when going up a hill esp if you hold the throttle constant but giving the car rnough to go up the hill. Anyone else have this issur. So far the dealer hasnt been much help. Throttle surges up and down 2 to 300 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
1,553 Posts
I have a 2019 hrv sport and notice the throttle surges when going up a hill esp if you hold the throttle constant but giving the car rnough to go up the hill. Anyone else have this issur. So far the dealer hasnt been much help. Throttle surges up and down 2 to 300 rpm.
Is this your first car with CVT? It is downshifting to go up the hill.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
293 Posts
Is this your first car with CVT? It is downshifting to go up the hill.
Kinda feels more like "is this the first time driving up a hill?" Non-CVT automatics will also do this.

Technically, so will manuals, it's just the driver is doing it (unless they just push the pedal harder).

It's all just to varying degrees.

Without downshifting or giving it more throttle, it's just gonna end up slowing down as it goes up hill.

And in reality, you're probably not keeping the throttle constant, unless you have it mounted to something that can lock in place... as usually the slight change in shift angle causes your leg to move slightly too... you just don't really notice.

This leg movement is most obvious for me when I'm trying to drive super slow in my manual transmission Fit... a slight hiccup causes it to slow ever so slightly. But inertia is delaying my body's slowdown to match, so in effect, my foot is pressing on the throttle "harder." That, in turn gives the engine more power, speeding it up... causing a reversed inertia effect on my leg, slowing back down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i give it enough throttle to go up the hill with out slowing down. The rpm varies 200 to 300 when it does it. It had also done this on flat pavement as well. My crv never does this!

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes my 2019 ex does it too. very obnoxious because judging by exhaust noise it just seems like the driver is an idiot, despite holding your foot on a constant throttle position.
[email protected] the guy who says the cvt is downshifting

·
Super Moderator
1,553 Posts
How do you know it is not downshifting? You know for certain the gear ratio didn't change?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2018 LX does that too, mainly showing up on the highway under a little load going up a long slight grade where the rpm is around 2800... it will go up and then back down. I've had it happen at lower speed in certain circumstances, but more difficult to duplicate. I pushed Honda people to get their engineering to address it, but just get brushed off

·
Banned
609 Posts
A CVT transmissions goal is to adjust engine RPM's to deliver the best possible mileage, (which varies usually depending on hills, etc) while the gear ratio is often constant

·
Super Moderator
1,553 Posts
A CVT transmissions goal is to adjust engine RPM's to deliver the best possible mileage, (which varies usually depending on hills, etc) while the gear ratio is often constant
That is not how CVT works. A CVT adjusts itself to provide the optimal ratio for whatever the engine load is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts