Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced the factory HR-V speakers with 6’5” fosgates. I’m wondering if the headunit has some kind of bass blocker. There is very, very little bass still. Do any of you know??

·
Registered
329 Posts
The head unit is not high powered so aftermarket speakers that may need more ooomph won't get it. is this an EX with the 6 speakers ? ( 4 woofers and 2 tweeters ? )
I did a component replacement and i did get a loss in bass ( but I got a much tighter bass and cleaner sound) - AT FIRST.
it took about 2 months and the new one sound better - so either they loosened up ,or my ears adjusted - I do like it now.( i did adjust the front to rear more and the bass and treble settings -allow for more volume - been fiddling with those for weeks now)

Add sound proofing in the doors- and I also recommend those foam rings to assure a tight seal between the speaker and the door panel/grille. That helped too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for commenting. I have the sport with 6 speakers. I really should’ve known from the factory regarding the bass. There was no real bass from them and after replacing the speakers I didn’t really hear any difference. I did not do any sound deadening but I did used foam speaking rings. I think I may just go with installing an aftermarket sub and amp I was trying to avoid this but the lack of bass is bothersome. lol

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for commenting. I have the sport with 6 speakers. I really should’ve known from the factory regarding the bass. There was no real bass from them and after replacing the speakers I didn’t really hear any difference. I did not do any sound deadening but I did used foam speaking rings. I think I may just go with installing an aftermarket sub and amp I was trying to avoid this but the lack of bass is bothersome. lol
maybe a new head unit would be best for you..... I'm looking at a Kenwood myself - plug and play if i can make it.
Not cheap, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of trying to fiugre out an amp and subwoofer (location ??) install.
Also remember 6 3/4" would be the largest speaker in those doors - so the bass would not be in "subwoofer" territory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I am not ready to change out the radio just yet. This is my wife’s car, however, since this who Covid thing she asked me to drive her car since it is brand new and save the mileage on our other vehicles. I do have a problem changing the radio out or adding the subwoofer in the back with an amp. My problem is finding the right location for the amp to hide. I use to do installs for car audio and security back in the days and thought I was done with it. I’m not going to be installing the amp under the seat or mounted up on the back seats either. I am going to be pulling panels off and see if I can make something work. Once I figure something out with this setup I will post pictures though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah I am not ready to change out the radio just yet. This is my wife’s car, however, since this who Covid thing she asked me to drive her car since it is brand new and save the mileage on our other vehicles. I do have a problem changing the radio out or adding the subwoofer in the back with an amp. My problem is finding the right location for the amp to hide. I use to do installs for car audio and security back in the days and thought I was done with it. I’m not going to be installing the amp under the seat or mounted up on the back seats either. I am going to be pulling panels off and see if I can make something work. Once I figure something out with this setup I will post pictures though.
the forum has lots of info on installs- and i think there is NO room under the front seats etc, from what i have read.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the forum has lots of info on installs- and i think there is NO room under the front seats etc, from what i have read.
I put my 5 channel amp under the passenger seat - no problem. 10" Kicker in the rear. - Replaced the head unit with an Alpine iLX-W650E (This unit is so small/shallow, that there is an aftermarket amp that can be put behind it in the dash..!) - Polk DB6501 in the front and Polk DB651 in the rear doors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
I have a Kenwood KSC-SW11 underseat subwoofer. It adds a good amount bass without taking up much room.

I put my 5 channel amp under the passenger seat - no problem. 10" Kicker in the rear. - Replaced the head unit with an Alpine iLX-W650E (This unit is so small/shallow, that there is an aftermarket amp that can be put behind it in the dash..!) - Polk DB6501 in the front and Polk DB651 in the rear doors.
View attachment 30684 View attachment 30685 View attachment 30686
I really like your setup. It almost looks OEM.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, pretty sure shipping wouldn't make it a viable option.
I will look into it the next time I visit the shop - he may be able to make some more and ship them overseas...!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a Kenwood KSC-SW11 underseat subwoofer. It adds a good amount bass without taking up much room.

I really like your setup. It almost looks OEM.
I made a mock-up out of cardboard that was the same dimensions as the KSC-SW11 - and attempted to fit it under the passenger seat
NO DICE
also no room under the driver seat either

You have a pic of how you made it fit ?? ( i have AWD i that makes a difference)

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
I made a mock-up out of cardboard that was the same dimensions as the KSC-SW11 - and attempted to fit it under the passenger seat
NO DICE
also no room under the driver seat either

You have a pic of how you made it fit ?? ( i have AWD i that makes a difference)
I'll take a picture later today. I didn't have any trouble at all. I have a 2wd.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts