Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago, my car alarm started going off at 6:00 a.m. while I was getting ready for work. I pressed a button on the key fob to stop it, locked the car, and continued getting ready. Just as I was about to leave at 6:45, the alarm went off again. I pressed a button on the key fob to stop it, left it unlocked in the garage, and took my husband's car to work. My husband fiddled with the car that morning (not that he knows what he's doing) and he locked the car. The alarm went off again at 7:45, 8:30, and 8:45. Finally, he left the car unlocked in the garage and the car alarm did not sound again.

We brought the car into the dealership, and they said, based on the car's information, it was a front driver's side door latch issue. They replaced it. For a week, no problems.

Then this morning, I drove somewhere, got out of the car and closed the driver's side door. When I went to open the front passenger door, the car beeped at me, which I thought was weird. I closed the front passenger side door and locked the car with the key fob, except the car didn't beep and the headlights didn't flash. When I tried to open the doors, they didn't open, and I couldn't use the key fob to unlock the car. I had to break out the physical key from inside the key fob to get back in. I locked the car using the key (or thought I locked it...) and went about my business. Came back to the car and the key fob unlocked it. Drove home, locked the car with the key fob, it beeped. Everything is fine.

Except when I went back out a few hours later and came home, the same thing happened as before. Usually, opening the front driver's side door from inside automatically unlocks all the other doors, but it didn't, and I couldn't get the other doors to open. I finally realized I could unlock them manually using the interior master lock, and I thought, "Well, that's not really that big of a deal if that's what I have to do from now on."

And then this evening, around 6:30 p.m., the car alarm went off.

I'm going to bring it back to the dealership (b/c car is still under warranty), but I'm concerned that they will just try to do what they did the first time, which didn't solve the problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
2019 HRV EX CVT. 1.5 Earth Dreams. Modern Steel.
32 Posts
Did you find the problem? The alarm on my 2019 goes off occasionally, maybe weeks between events, for no apparent reason. I thought I had tracked it down to the tailgate lock. I gave it a good squirt of WD40 and no problems for 7 weeks, then yesterday it happened again. When it happens, the alarm only sounds for 30 seconds and then stops without anything being done to stop it. Did an ODB readout give you any help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you find the problem? The alarm on my 2019 goes off occasionally, maybe weeks between events, for no apparent reason. I thought I had tracked it down to the tailgate lock. I gave it a good squirt of WD40 and no problems for 7 weeks, then yesterday it happened again. When it happens, the alarm only sounds for 30 seconds and then stops without anything being done to stop it. Did an ODB readout give you any help?
Yes!! I changed the battery in both key fobs and haven't had any problems since. Not sure why the dealership didn't try that first, but whatever.

·
Registered
2019 HRV EX CVT. 1.5 Earth Dreams. Modern Steel.
32 Posts
Yes!! I changed the battery in both key fobs and haven't had any problems since. Not sure why the dealership didn't try that first, but whatever.
I put new batteries in the keys in March. Surely they last more than 6 months? When I changed the batteries in March a warning came up on the instrument panel warning of low battery. And the alarm hadn't caused any concern at that time.
No such warning now. Still, worth a try I guess.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
635 Posts
Only had my alarm go off twice in 18 months, and on each occasion it was a midgie that had triggered it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The dealer can tell you from the history which sensor is going off.
Mine was the rear hatch latch, they changed it out, and hasn’t gone off since

1 - 6 of 6 Posts