Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a pair of Full-LED Touring headlight and have 1 pair of wiring harness converted from halogen to touring of Civic models. I wonder if they match the order of the wires?The harness connectors are suitable for plug-and-play with my car. I want to test which wire is possitive(+) and negative(-) but I'm afraid it will burn the led because of the polarity. Will they burn if I leave the possitive and negative polarity wrong?

Look circle in my picture. Maybe the red circle is Low Beam, yellow circle is High Beam, and Pink circle is Turn Signal. Because the civic harness show that.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
414 Posts
LEDs by themselves don't really care all that much about polarity. They either work or they don't.

Some systems might connect other components to allow you to connect either way to allow it to work, even if you switch the wires around.

That said, if there's a circuit board or anything, if polarity matters, those are more likely to fry than the LED.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Now's a good time to go out and buy a polarity tester! Something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Klein-Tool...id=1602141770&sprefix=polarity,aps,160&sr=8-6

You can probably find something cheaper at Home Depot.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Since you can pull out the plug a little from the headlight, what are the color of the wires? The side you show seems to look like at least 3 striped wires.. usually striped (some color paired with black) is ground. But it's kinda hard to be sure, since it could just as well be super thin wires and I'm seeing the back wire with the front wire.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Eh? Is that aftermarket with the multiple colors or is that some weird effect of the camera shot?

Well... if you're feeling daring, you could try what I did with the aftermarket tail lights I bought that I needed to wire up.

I took a 9v battery and connected it to the wires to see what wires did what.

In your case, you'd need to tape two wires to the two connections on the 9v battery, then pick a pin and put one wire on it, while you move across the other pins with the other wire to see what lights up.Then, move the first wire and repeat.

Hopefully, each pin ONLY works with one other specific pin, giving you four pairs.

After that, you can look at the harness adapter is see if the pins match the other end.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eh? Is that aftermarket with the multiple colors or is that some weird effect of the camera shot?

Well... if you're feeling daring, you could try what I did with the aftermarket tail lights I bought that I needed to wire up.

I took a 9v battery and connected it to the wires to see what wires did what.

In your case, you'd need to tape two wires to the two connections on the 9v battery, then pick a pin and put one wire on it, while you move across the other pins with the other wire to see what lights up.Then, move the first wire and repeat.

Hopefully, each pin ONLY works with one other specific pin, giving you four pairs.

After that, you can look at the harness adapter is see if the pins match the other end.
This is OEM Headlight buy from HONDA but mod some Addresable RGBW inside and removed DRL. I will try with 9v battery. Only need to know High beam and Low beam wires. Turn signal I do seperate wires during RGBW mod. I will update later and show after install the headlight on my car.
-----
Some videos:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Cool.

Since you opened it up, did you see if the side marker is "changeable"? I mean, soldered on to something or just an LED with wires coming off it?

The one thing I want to do is change that stupid yellow side marker to blue, so it matches my Fit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool.

Since you opened it up, did you see if the side marker is "changeable"? I mean, soldered on to something or just an LED with wires coming off it?

The one thing I want to do is change that stupid yellow side marker to blue, so it matches my Fit.
Inside is a removable orange plastic. If you paint blue over orange then I'm not sure the light will turn out blue.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I wonder if somewhere in the interwebs, is someone selling that specific part in either clear or some other color.

Then again, your picture reminded me just how it isn't as easy as unscrewing a cover off... I'm lazy, so things like that are probably not gonna happen for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if somewhere in the interwebs, is someone selling that specific part in either clear or some other color.

Then again, your picture reminded me just how it isn't as easy as unscrewing a cover off... I'm lazy, so things like that are probably not gonna happen for me.
You're right. Honda's OEM part uses a glue that is difficult to open. And if you want to buy the same headlight with the side market not orange then I have a website for you to buy. Side market has no lights and is painted with Chrome to look very nice, exchange for that the headlight Beam will be reversed from LHD (Left cut) to RHD (Right cut) because it is the JDM part.
Or you can purchase and exchange the headlight outer cap for your USDM part. This will keep the LHD beam.
-----
Link:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts