Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2019 HR-V
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 2019 HRV and noticed that both of my brake lights are out and do not activate when the brake is pressed; however, the running lights work, and do get brighter with braking, and the third tail light is working fine. Does this sound like a brake switch issue or something else? I would really like to troubleshoot it, but not sure where to start. Thanks for all the help in advance!

· Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
442 Posts
It is not uncommon to have both brake lights out at the same time. I would replace both bulbs (unless your market uses LEDs)

PS: Ask a Moderator to move your Topic....not sure that it belongs in Engines and Technical discussion...

· Registered
2019 HR-V
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not uncommon to have both brake lights out at the same time. I would replace both bulbs (unless your market uses LEDs)

PS: Ask a Moderator to move your Topic....not sure that it belongs in Engines and Technical discussion...
Thanks for the reply! I checked the bulbs and fuses and they seem to be fine. From what I have been reading, this model has LED assemblies that are somehow integrated, and the entire assembly must be replaced. Would these LED assemblies still have filament bulbs in them??

· Registered
768 Posts
Since your 3rd brake light is working and your tail lights get brighter when pressing the brake pedal, your brake light switch is likely fine.

Disconnect both tail lights and back probe the light connectors with a voltmeter

Going by your posts, it sounds like both LED brake lights have failed but more troubleshooting required to confirm.

· Registered
2019 HR-V
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since your 3rd brake light is working and your tail lights get brighter when pressing the brake pedal, your brake light switch is likely fine.

Disconnect both tail lights and back probe the light connectors with a voltmeter

Going by your posts, it sounds like both LED brake lights have failed but more troubleshooting required to confirm.
Ok, probing the rear light connectors shows no current to either side, probe did not light up. "Stop" fuse tested fine.

· Registered
2019 HR-V
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are being serious... take your HRV to the Honda dealer...

Ok... how about you take a video of your "failing brake lights".
I'm being quite serious. I've attached 3 photos: 1) Car running in Park. 2) Car running, brake applied in Park. 3) Car running, brake applied in Reverse. The side tail lights clearly brighten with the brake applied and you can see the 3rd light does as well. The inner sections do not. The back up lights illuminate as they should. If the red portions of the inner tail lights are reflectors, fine. Seems a bit unconventional when most vehicles with 2 part tail lights light up completely with the brake applied but what do I know. That's why I'm here, so forgive me for not being knowledgeable about my tail lights but I never see them. Lol All I know is that a very nice lady pointed out to me that at night those brake lights weren't doing anything, so I looked into it. Again, thanks for the help.
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Attachments

· Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
220 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. I've never actually checked, but it is very likely that the lights(lenses) on the tailgate are for appearance only and are nonfunctional. Many cars are like this. It can also can vary from trim line to trim line, with only the upper levels of trim getting the extra lights.

· Registered
768 Posts
Lol... holy confusion!

So your HRV tail lights are working totally fine. One has to be precise when having a technical problem.
Those pictures are precise. :)

As was mentioned above, the inner tail lights, mounted on the hatch, are unlit, reflectors only.
The back up lights have nothing to do with the parking lights or the brake lights.

As for all those stickers and the rear window decal... I better not comment on those!

· Registered
12 Posts
Hello! I have a 2019 HRV and noticed that both of my brake lights are out and do not activate when the brake is pressed; however, the running lights work, and do get brighter with braking, and the third tail light is working fine. Does this sound like a brake switch issue or something else? I would really like to troubleshoot it, but not sure where to start. Thanks for all the help in advance!
See my previous post post on the HRV BRAKE light. They are LED type and both ass’y likely require replacement

1 - 19 of 19 Posts