Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one month old hrv pulls a little to the left when let go of the wheel, it's not much but I feel like I have to keep pressure on the wheel to keep it straight. Since it's very light and not all our roads are straight and level it's hard to notice. Took it to the dealer, mechanic drove it around said felt normal, they put it on the ramp and said everything was fine, here is the results of the tests they ran, can someone experienced check them out please. They said they torqued everything and aired the tires. Drive home was short and roads are not straight and level. Haven't tested it properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
After you have a chance to drive it more, post back. The alignment certainly seems to be within spec.

Future efforts would be to swap tires side-to-side, see if that makes it pull in the opposite direction.

If no change, ask the dealer's alignment tech to compensate with the alignment WITHIN SPEC. Get the front & rear camber to match better, side-to-side. (A good alignment guy will know the consequences of ANY adjustment however slight.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dragging brakes are easy to identify.

Drive a few miles, then gently pull into a safe parking area.

Feel the center of the wheels. The fronts will usually be warmer than the rears. BUT if one side is noticeably warmer than the other side (on the same axle) you might need to have the dragging brake possibility looked into.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 2019 hrv pulls to the left too.

My toe and camber were off up front dealer corrected them and still it pulls but a lot less.

I think that the people assembling the vehicles aren’t aligning the front and rear subframe to each other very well.

I say this because my alignment sheet shows my thrust angle to be slightly off. get the dealer to printout a full alignment sheet for you and check the thrust angle.

Honda won’t touch your subframe though. But after lots of arguing they did 100 percent match camber from side to side and adjust the toe for a bit of pull compensation.

Now I don’t have to put constant pressure on the wheel to go straight but if you let go of the wheel it veers left.

Honda claims if it doesn’t hop one full lane within 5 seconds at 65mph that the vehicle is “within” spec.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had cars (NOT Hondas) that exhibited pull despite adjusting everything possible in the suspension.

On two of those cars, I had to run 3 - 4 PSI less on one side than the other, to reduce the annoying 'drift'. Bad thing about this strategy is, the low side builds up more heat, so on long trips it would tend to equalize pressure and the drift would return. :mad:

BTW, one car turned out to be tires (it fixed itself after buying new rubber, two years after I gave up).:unsure:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with Carbuff. Pulls that don't have an alignment issue are usually due to a bad tire. Sometimes it's just pressure but this should show up on your monitoring system. Did you swap sides on the tire? This will usually reveal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
On my 2019 hr-v(which has this exact issue) I’m on my 3rd set of rims and 2nd set of tires... It’s still pulling to the left.

First thing the dealer does is cross rotate the tires and check tire pressure when you complain about a pulling issue, because it’s the easiest and cheapest thing to do.

I would have been so happy if my lastest set of rims and tires fixed the issue, but for me that was not the case.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 2019 hrv pulls to the left too.

My toe and camber were off up front dealer corrected them and still it pulls but a lot less.

I think that the people assembling the vehicles aren’t aligning the front and rear subframe to each other very well.

I say this because my alignment sheet shows my thrust angle to be slightly off. get the dealer to printout a full alignment sheet for you and check the thrust angle.

Honda won’t touch your subframe though. But after lots of arguing they did 100 percent match camber from side to side and adjust the toe for a bit of pull compensation.

Now I don’t have to put constant pressure on the wheel to go straight but if you let go of the wheel it veers left.

Honda claims if it doesn’t hop one full lane within 5 seconds at 65mph that the vehicle is “within” spec.
They are very hard to align even the 2019,even Hondas alignment specs the steering wheel will be out to the left around 1155-58,
The work around is to tweak the tie rod ends to get wheel dead center.

·
Registered
81 Posts
On my 2019 hr-v(which has this exact issue) I’m on my 3rd set of rims and 2nd set of tires... It’s still pulling to the left.

First thing the dealer does is cross rotate the tires and check tire pressure when you complain about a pulling issue, because it’s the easiest and cheapest thing to do.

I would have been so happy if my lastest set of rims and tires fixed the issue, but for me that was not the case.
Its not your wheels or tires its how Honda screwed up making the steering rack

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow.. The wheel alignment spec sheet on the 1st post of this thread is terrible.

If my vehicle had that alignment spec, I'd be tearing the suspension apart correcting the issues.
And why is the front caster not posted? That's a critical measurement.

In another thread, it was posted that caster and camber are not adjustable on the front suspension of the HRV and there are no aftermarket adjustable suspension components available.
But there are still things one can do to get camber and castor even side to side and set them both to more performance oriented settings rather just "within spec" which is a huge range.

They are very hard to align even the 2019,even Hondas alignment specs the steering wheel will be out to the left around 1155-58,
The work around is to tweak the tie rod ends to get wheel dead center.

^^ I'm not following... The HRV has a standard macpherson strut front suspension with very little adjustment.
Plus a torsion beam type rear suspension.
Why would it be hard to align?

The centering of the steering wheel has nothing to do with front wheel alignment.
The steering rack or box should be centered but the steering wheel doesn't have to be.

You can align the front end of any vehicle perfectly and have the steering wheel off center.
There are several ways to center a steering wheel if necessary.
Having the steering wheel centered is just a cosmetic and comfort factor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow.. The wheel alignment spec sheet on the 1st post of this thread is terrible.

If my vehicle had that alignment spec, I'd be tearing the suspension apart correcting the issues.

In another thread, it was posted that caster and camber are not adjustable on the front suspension of the HRV and there are no aftermarket adjustable suspension components available.
But there are still things one can do to get camber and castor even side to side and set them both to more performance oriented settings rather just "within spec" which is a huge range.

^^ I'm not following... The HRV has a standard macpherson strut front suspension with very little adjustment.

The centering of the steering wheel has nothing to do with front wheel alignment.
The steering rack o, but the doesn't have to be.

You can align the front end of any vehicle perfectly and have the steering wheel off center.
I thought you knew everything about alignments,why ask about caster on hrv if you know,caster is not adjustable on hrv thats why it won't show on printout,no sense telling me more about how alignments working did them everyday.follow Honda specs you will have a crooked steering wheel.to the left LOL

·
Registered
81 Posts

The steering rack or box should be centered but the steering wheel doesn't have to be.

My o my I forgot to ask you where is the Box on your rack LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
I thought you knew everything about alignments,why ask about caster on hrv if you know,caster is not adjustable on hrv thats why it won't show on printout,no sense telling me more about how alignments working did them everyday.follow Honda specs you will have a crooked steering wheel.to the left LOL

I think we are just misunderstanding each other.

Front end castor is a critical measurement and should be included in every front end alignment check.
In the alignment check sheet above, front end castor is blank.
I'm quite sure that castor and camber are not adjustable on the front end of the HRV but the camber specs are included in the alignment sheet above.

Regardless if the alignment parameter is adjustable or not, a proper alignment should check all alignment parameters
and include them in the alignment results sheet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My o my I forgot to ask you where is the Box on your rack LOL
I was being too general in the my post above. While the HRV has rack and pinion steering, older vehicles and HD light trucks still have a steering box, ie. recirculating-ball steering.

As for centering the steering wheel, what if one aligned a vehicle perfectly and then unbolted the steering wheel from the column shaft.
Then turn the steering wheel 90 degrees and bolt it back on. The front end alignment hasn't changed at all.
The vehicle will drive straight and true but the steering wheel is 90 degrees off.

That's what I mean when I say the front end alignment is independent from the centering the steering wheel.

Hopefully this clears up any misunderstanding. If not, we can agree to disagree.. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
For some brand cars castor is adjustable,but others limited or no adjustment,so you won't see it after print out is done,the system knows every car so won't give you a read out,but if you can adjust castor on your Honda go ahead LOL,only one I think u can is the s2000 older car.if u set camber then toe to specs and alignment is pulling or driving u off the road,u have two issues, 1 tires 2 something is bent setting castor off.
Like you said is true the wheel can be tilted left or right when you start alignment and not straightened be for you start, alignment will still be good,Now if your done and you made sure the wheel was straight when you started and you get it off the rack and steering wheel is off to left or right,then it still wasn't straight,Or you have a steering rack problem which means the rack was not made properly,in this case you will never get it right with Hondas specs,you have to tweak the rods,depending on what you have shorten one arm and lengthen the other equal amounts to get that wheel straight,make sure its equal or your steer ahead will be out again. Etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts