Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
i fixed this problem on my 2018 hrv ex my hrv has only 9000 miles. i had the same problem slight pull to the left i had to always hold some pressure on the steering wheel to keep the car going straight. also it felt like making right turns were harder then making left turns. i am a auto mechanic for over 30 years but not for honda. the problem is in the steering angle sensor built into the steering electric motor. with the steering wheel pointing 100% straight it was off by 5 degrees by me reading the steering angle sensor on a autel 906ts scan tool. if i turn the wheel by just a little to the left then it would read 0 degrees. i was able to reset this with my scan tool. first pointing the wheel 100% straight and resetting the angle to 0 degrees with my scan tool. car drives 100% straight now no more slight pulling to the left. steering stays straight now. also making left or right turns now feel about the same.

· Registered
494 Posts
As far as centering the steering wheel... You must remember when they do the job it is set for a flat surface with no road crown....The problem with that is just about all roads are crowned to let water flow off. So if your steering wheel is centered on a flat surface on a crowned road it will be off a bit either to the right or the left depending on how the crown is in the road. There is no set degree for a crowned road so if you would set your steering wheel to the crown of that road...on another it would be different...

· Registered
2022 Honda HR-V Sport- Modern Steel Metallic
66 Posts
My one month old hrv pulls a little to the left when let go of the wheel, it's not much but I feel like I have to keep pressure on the wheel to keep it straight. Since it's very light and not all our roads are straight and level it's hard to notice. Took it to the dealer, mechanic drove it around said felt normal, they put it on the ramp and said everything was fine, here is the results of the tests they ran, can someone experienced check them out please. They said they torqued everything and aired the tires. Drive home was short and roads are not straight and level. Haven't tested it properly.
I have a 2022 Sport with 4500 miles (1st service one year) that had a similar issue after rotating the tires from front to back.. The alignment was fine prior to the rotation and once the back tires were on the front the car started pulling to the left and the wheel was off a little... I took it to the dealer and they checked the alignment and it was fine.. Test drove it and they duplicated the issue. They ended up saying it was a tire, they rotated the tires back to the original locations and that fixed the issue. This will be an issue going forward. To avoid the pulling I will not be able to rotate my tires at the next service. Unless I want to replace tires. To bad a tired isn't covered. Figures!

· Registered
494 Posts
i fixed this problem on my 2018 hrv ex my hrv has only 9000 miles. i had the same problem slight pull to the left i had to always hold some pressure on the steering wheel to keep the car going straight. also it felt like making right turns were harder then making left turns. i am a auto mechanic for over 30 years but not for honda. the problem is in the steering angle sensor built into the steering electric motor. with the steering wheel pointing 100% straight it was off by 5 degrees by me reading the steering angle sensor on a autel 906ts scan tool. if i turn the wheel by just a little to the left then it would read 0 degrees. i was able to reset this with my scan tool. first pointing the wheel 100% straight and resetting the angle to 0 degrees with my scan tool. car drives 100% straight now no more slight pulling to the left. steering stays straight now. also making left or right turns now feel about the same.
Do you know of any other scanners around 3 to 5 hundred that do the same steering angle sensor reset??????

· Registered
20 Posts
Do you know of any other scanners around 3 to 5 hundred that do the same steering angle sensor reset??????
I have a similar problem and almost bought this scanner, that will do SAR as well as TMPS things. I didn't get it though decided to to an indie shop, get an alignment, see the report, and if that all looks good try the SAR at the shop. My car has a very slight bias toward the left and the dealer disagrees with me that there's an alignment issue. I'm at about 3500 (hard city) miles over 1.5 years so a real low mileage car. But lots of bumps, potholes, etc.

· Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
446 Posts
In the past I've had vehicles that have 'pulled' to one side or another, just enough to be annoying. :mad:

Rather than replace tires prematurely as in Post 25, why not just compensate with air pressure? Run one side higher than the other so that the car tracks straight.

Don't reduce PSI lower than the sticker on the door pillar...3 - 5 PSI difference at most should restore straight tracking.

· Registered
494 Posts
In the past I've had vehicles that have 'pulled' to one side or another, just enough to be annoying. :mad:

Rather than replace tires prematurely as in Post 25, why not just compensate with air pressure? Run one side higher than the other so that the car tracks straight.

Don't reduce PSI lower than the sticker on the door pillar...3 - 5 PSI difference at most should restore straight tracking.
Yes that does work...

· Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
225 Posts
I have a 2022 Sport with 4500 miles (1st service one year) that had a similar issue after rotating the tires from front to back.. The alignment was fine prior to the rotation and once the back tires were on the front the car started pulling to the left and the wheel was off a little... I took it to the dealer and they checked the alignment and it was fine.. Test drove it and they duplicated the issue. They ended up saying it was a tire, they rotated the tires back to the original locations and that fixed the issue. This will be an issue going forward. To avoid the pulling I will not be able to rotate my tires at the next service. Unless I want to replace tires. To bad a tired isn't covered. Figures!
Did they put the tires back to the original position or just swap the fronts left to right, which is usually done for a pulling issue when a tire is suspected? If they went L to R, then next tire rotation the suspect tire will be on the rear.
FYI: tires are covered by a warranty, not by Honda, but by the tire manufacture.

· Registered
66 Posts
Did they put the tires back to the original position or just swap the fronts left to right, which is usually done for a pulling issue when a tire is suspected? If they went L to R, then next tire rotation the suspect tire will be on the rear.
FYI: tires are covered by a warranty, not by Honda, but by the tire manufacture.
They just put them back to their original location. It corrected the pull.. any idea how to go about getting the tire company to cover the tire?

· Registered
494 Posts
They just put them back to their original location. It corrected the pull.. any idea how to go about getting the tire company to cover the tire?
I would go online to the tire company and call them and explain what is going on and what the dealer has done....They may want you to go to a local tire store that carries there brand and have them take a look....

· Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
225 Posts
If the pulling is caused by uneven wear of the tire, it may even straighten out a bit after being run on the rear for awhile.

If it actually is a slightly off-center belt, then it would be a defect that the tire manufacture should cover. This would require some diagnosis, probably another rotation and maybe a alignment check at the tire dealer to see which one is causing the issue. With the cost involved for that, plus they will most likely pro-rate replacement cost, it might not be worth it. It might be worth just stopping at a reputable, local dealer for that brand of tire, tell them your story and see what they say. Other than that, I think I would just run it for another 5000 miles, rotate the tires, and address it then if the problem reoccurs.

This problem is not uncommon and a tire like this not dangerous to use. Just a bit of an inconvenience.

· Registered
494 Posts
I got a 2nd opinion alignment, was within spec, saw the data, but still had the slight tendency to go left. Got a scan tool that does the steering angle sensor reset, that fixed the issue.
Resetting the steering angle should be part of any alignment now....If they dont do that or dont know what you are talking about ...leave and go to a place that does...

· Registered
66 Posts
If the pulling is caused by uneven wear of the tire, it may even straighten out a bit after being run on the rear for awhile.

If it actually is a slightly off-center belt, then it would be a defect that the tire manufacture should cover. This would require some diagnosis, probably another rotation and maybe a alignment check at the tire dealer to see which one is causing the issue. With the cost involved for that, plus they will most likely pro-rate replacement cost, it might not be worth it. It might be worth just stopping at a reputable, local dealer for that brand of tire, tell them your story and see what they say. Other than that, I think I would just run it for another 5000 miles, rotate the tires, and address it then if the problem reoccurs.

This problem is not uncommon and a tire like this not dangerous to use. Just a bit of an inconvenience.
That is what I was thinking to wait some time then have then rotated again and see. The thing is it’s lease car and not sure I wanna spend money on two tires. Since they put the tires back on the back of the car I am noticing a faint drumming noise. I wonder if it could be that tire that was pulling on the front. I may just call the dealer and try to get to the bottom of it or I may go to a tire shop close by and have them look into them. The car only has 4700 miles on it now. Just seems like a waist of tires or seems so soon to have trouble with tires.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts