Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I went to the dealership to have the differential fluid changed and was informed my steering rack is leaking at only 20000km. I know it’s likely covered under warranty, but feeling a little discouraged that there’s such a large repair so early on! Has anyone else had this issue and had any issues getting it fixed? I’m nervous about getting a used part and having this become a large problem for the rest of the life of the car

·
Registered
96 Posts
That wouldn't be a warranty repair? If it is, they can't use a used part. :mad:

<SARCASM MODE ON> Next time you are at the dealer, ask them where you add the power steering fluid. (Trick question...it's electric assist, LOL) <SARCASM MODE OFF>

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven’t actually looked into the warranty coverage yet, but I’m hoping for the best because it’s an over $1000 repair. I’m not used to having a newer car and had no clue you couldn’t add power steering fluid so you saved me from looking stupid 😂😂

I say used because I’ve been reading it seems to be an issue on some crvs and owners are getting remanufactured parts and then having the same problem again down the line. Which is what I want to avoid haha

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know what a Canadian warranty is, but if you're within the time and kilometer limits, it should be covered no problem. I've never heard of a "non-hydraulic" power steering unit leaking. Honestly, I've never paid much attention to my steering unit, on the HR-V or the '07 Fit I had before.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Electric power steering systems do not have fluid inside of them so something isn’t adding up.

Can you show us the estimate for this $1000 repair if the dealer provided one?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They didn’t provide an estimate, I was just guessing it’ll cost over that from what people were saying when I looked it up. It doesn’t seem like a small repair. They just mentioned it’s something I should keep an eye on when I picked up my car...no clue if they’re being honest or not so I’ll definitely try another dealer when I go and get an oil change and see what they say about it. I had no clue electric power systems didn’t have fluid so now I’m extremely skeptical!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Consider emailing their service manager to ask what exactly the technician meant by this.

You can call and ask for the email if it’s not on their website under staff.

You could also just ask for him or her over the phone but I'd personally want to know what they meant in writing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts