Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 HR-V (Sport)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 2020 HR-V with Android Auto, and suddenly yesterday, for no (known) reason, maps (navigation) went to "Dark" or "Night" mode (black background), and it's a bright, sunny, beautiful day here.

It's happening regardless of whether she uses her phone or mine, so I'm guessing it's something in the infotainment system, itself?

I checked the usual suspects.... Lights are off, etc.

I'm guessing there's some setting somewhere and would appreciate any help (that black background is nearly impossible to see in full daylight).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020 HR-V (Sport)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
has the app or the phone software been updated recently?

is it just the app or the whole android system that went dark?
Can't be sure. We only have two apps installed (in the car).... Google Maps, and YouTube Music. YouTube Music has always had a black background, which is fine.

The version of maps we have on our phones is 11.33.1 (not sure when that was last updated)

I should add, that we both use Google Pixel phones.... Hers is a 3a, and mine is a Pixel 6.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,234 Posts
Two suggestions;

Some Honda head units have a button marked with a 'shining' sun and crescent moon which cycles through Day, Night and Off modes. In this image the button is top left, above the HOME icon;

Vehicle Gadget Personal luxury car Car Technology

If you choose either Day or Night, it will stay on that setting regardless of the period of the day.

If that does not resolve your issue, I would check the settings on your mobile. I do not use Android Auto, however, the Sygic satnav installed on my mobile gives me the same options as the Honda head unit. Check to see the Night colours have not been selected instead of AUTO.

·
Registered
2020 HR-V (Sport)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two suggestions;

Some Honda head units have a button marked with a 'shining' sun and crescent moon which cycles through Day, Night and Off modes. In this image the button is top left, above the HOME icon;

View attachment 34247

If you choose either Day or Night, it will stay on that setting regardless of the period of the day.

If that does not resolve your issue, I would check the settings on your mobile. I do not use Android Auto, however, the Sygic satnav installed on my mobile gives me the same options as the Honda head unit. Check to see the Night colours have not been selected instead of AUTO.
Yes, ours does have that button, but it doesn't seem to do anything other than letting us set the brightness. Is there some trick to make it switch between day & night modes?

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,234 Posts
From the (UK) Owners Manual page 268.

🌞🌛Button:

Press to change the audio/information screen brightness.

Press 🌞🌛 once and select ➕ or ➖ to make an adjustment.

Each time you press 🌞🌛, the mode switches among the daytime mode, nighttime mode and off mode.

·
Administrator
1,997 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I heard there was a bug with the latest Google Maps, if Dark mode was used on the phone, the Maps would do Dark mode all of the time. Since I do not use Android Dark mode on the phone I did not see this but my brother mentioned it. He sees it on his Accord with Android Auto and Google Maps.

·
Registered
2020 HR-V (Sport)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I heard there was a bug with the latest Google Maps, if Dark mode was used on the phone, the Maps would do Dark mode all of the time. Since I do not use Android Dark mode on the phone I did not see this but my brother mentioned it. He sees it on his Accord with Android Auto and Google Maps.
I don't think that's true.... Neither my wife nor I have "dark mode" enabled on our phones, but alas... The HR-V has been showing nothing other than a black background in navigation for about two weeks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts