Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Th photos are a mix of the 2019 & the 2016-2018 based on the front end and wheels (plus lots of photos of the green color), so I wonder how accurate can any of the info be?

Registered
Th photos are a mix of the 2019 & the 2016-2018 based on the front end and wheels (plus lots of photos of the green color), so I wonder how accurate can any of the info be?
Considering the HR-V just got the refresh, short of a generational change (which is unlikely this close to the refresh), there shouldn't be any differences with the 2019 MY.

The thing is, in different areas around the world, the HR-V really is a mix of what you would've seen here. USDM Touring is full LED in front, but in Asia, they have LED headlights with halogen fog lamps. USDM Sport doesn't have LED, but the RS in parts of Asia uses LED headlights while the rest are "Sport" like.

In the end, the article could be accurate in description, while falsely using old images... only because there wouldn't be any real changes in the images.

Registered
Honda needs to use the HVAC controls (real knobs) from the 2020 Civic to improve the 2020 HR-V
-------------------------------
Update: Autoblog.com has some new info. (dated 11/14/19) on the 2020 . Here's a link: 2020 HR-V Pricing Info. at Autoblog.com
I agree - i thought i just needed to get used to the touch screens - but sadly no- all the radio , navi and AC touch controls are not user fiendly WHILE driving - bring back real buttons!

Registered
@John35g I'm going to disagree with you on this point. I like the clean look of the dash without the buttons. I have a 2016 EXL AWD, so I have all the bells and whistles. I can change the temperature without my hands ever leaving the steering wheel. "Climate Control Temperature 72" and it changes. I can turn on the rear defrost, change radio volume or stations, all without my hands leaving the steering wheel or touching the screen. So, I like the uncluttered look and function.

Registered
I also like the clean look without the knobs for distraction. I have a 2017 EX AWD and have no issue with the temperature or radio controls. I use the steering wheel controls for the radio- very convenient. Also I set my temperature to 70 year round, so rarely need to change it. The only thing I need to occasionally change is the fan speed - the touch controls are responsive. I don't know if adding knobs would be any better.

Registered
Let me chuck in my rant with regards to temperature controls...

I have a 2010 Honda Fit with knobs for temperature controls and a 2019 HR-V with touch screen said controls.

What this turns into is manual control verses auto-climate control. And short answer, I'll take auto-climate.

Throughout a year, especially in areas that actually experience four seasons or more (extra hot summers and super cold winters)... you have to adjust the fan speed and hot/cold settings in order to keep a reasonable temperature in the cabin if you have manual controls. Cause there's no way your winter setting is gonna work in summer. Not just as the seasons change, but during the extreme temperatures, you have to jack up the controls to overcome that extreme temperature until the cabin gets to a more bearable temperature, then you adjust it "back down" a bit. Then there are the oddball days that go through a wide range of temperatures.

Whereas, once you set the temp with auto-climate, you can basically forget about it all year round. Even during extreme weather, it will jack things up (max fan speed/hot/cold) for you.

For my Fit, I HAVE to look at it, cause I'm not confident I can immediately grab the intended knob without looking or fumbling around. I mean, there are three knobs that are the same size and they feel the same on their surfaces. The only way to know, without looking, is to see if there's a knob above and/or below it (in the Fit, they're in a vertical layout), which would translate to left/right in an HR-V with knobs. Granted, looking at a photo, the middle knob is a different size, but I would probably end up with "is it the vent settings or temperature?" As for all the physical buttons that go with the knobs... I'd have to also look, just to be sure I'm pushing the right one. So, if I have to look anyway, then there's no difference with having to look at the touch screen.

Oh, did you know, there's a little nub on the chrome trim (or maybe just above it), that separates the "buttons" into three groups for the touch screen version? With that, you could attempt to use them blindly... to some degree of success, I guess.

Yes, there is an advantage for knobs when it comes to how quickly you can change from high to low (temperature or speed). But isn't that basically already offset by having to physically look and/or constantly adjust?

Speaking of which, I definitely like the look of the touchscreen controls more.

@Dammit. I hadn't thought about attempting to control it via voice controls, thats cool. But like @car4sooznd, I only really set it to one temperature and forget about it. I also using the steering controls for the music.

I did have another opinion on the knobs argument, but its probably better left unsaid.

Registered
This shows that we all have different needs...it is indeed easier to clean, but I have not had trouble cleaning knobs for 50 years. Try making changes on a toughscreen at night. While you are driving. When you are disabled and have tremmors

Registered
but isn't using voice commands and the steering wheel controls - just avoiding using the touch screen controls ?
I use the steering wheel all the time- i have the 4 positons and the center button memorized and dont have to look down etc- i wish the temp controls were the same- a feel for the dial- and you can adjust it by memory and feel- as opposed to having to hit the screen and hope. the beep is the same if you raise or lower the temp and some times while driving i may hit the wrong button and don't know. Same with mode of airflow - i liked that old 5 position switch better - all the way up defrost etc and all the way down was heat position. I didnt need to look at it.

Registered
The new KIA Seltos, just introduced at LA Auto Show, will be a strong competitor to the HR-V next year. It fits in between the Soul and KIA Sportage. I'm holding off any purchase until I get a chance to drive a non-AWD Seltos.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts