Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V EX Aegean Blue Metallic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to know if anyone has noticed that any type of wind blows the HR-V around the road/ highway at speeds 65-75 MPH. My HR-V is New with 500 miles on it.. When driving on the highway I notice a lot of floating around with a lot of steering corrections . Does any one experience this as well? The car is much lighter than my last car, but it feels like any wind at all can really be felt when driving..

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
It's tall and light, yes I get blown around more than my wife's Nissan sedan for example

Usually only a very slight correction is needed though, wind gusts may temporarily move you over but shortly after it tends to correct on its own from experience

You could make sure your tires are inflated I guess, but I think it's something inherent in the form factor of the car

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
I noticed it when going over a bridge the first time- but yeah, the wind gets under it and it can feel "floaty".

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
200 Posts
Some steering corrections for wind are a normal thing for higher vehicles, as noted above. For sure, check tire pressure. (Many dealers are notorious for forgetting to reduce pressure to the value on the B pillar. The factory over inflates tires to prevent flat spotting)

Could be an alignment issue. If it really bothers you have the dealer check it. (One alignment is covered in the first 12,000 miles)

Reactions: John35g

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would second checking the air pressure, I have an Insight that came with 40psi (poor delivery check), getting to closer to the 32 front / 28 rear would make the car feel more stable

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would second checking the air pressure, I have an Insight that came with 40psi (poor delivery check), getting to closer to the 32 front / 28 rear would make the car feel more stable
There are quite alot of reports here that the dealer prep didn't check tire pressures.....so yeah this a good idea to check that out .

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
110 Posts
You also have to take into account the topography of your route.

There are certain sections of the motorway around near me where you are lulled by the relative protection of the hillside and woodland and then you come out into the exposed lowland sections and get an absolute battering from the wind.

The HR-V has the aerodynamics of a house brick, is slabbed sided, relatively light and has raised ground clearance, all of which work against it in windy conditions. However, as others have posted, check your tyre pressures, especially after a dealership visit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The HR-V has the aerodynamics of a house brick, is slabbed sided, relatively light and has raised ground clearance
It's definitely floaty, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that. But it's all relative I suppose. I drove a crew cab long bed Ford F-250 with a 4" lift, so the HR-V to me is an aerodynamic spaceship. I have the theoretical lightest configuration available (FWD LX, 6-speed manual) and definitely notice wind, but I can still cruise steadily.

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V EX Aegean Blue Metallic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some steering corrections for wind are a normal thing for higher vehicles, as noted above. For sure, check tire pressure. (Many dealers are notorious for forgetting to reduce pressure to the value on the B pillar. The factory over inflates tires to prevent flat spotting)

Could be an alignment issue. If it really bothers you have the dealer check it. (One alignment is covered in the first 12,000 miles)
I checked the pressures and set them to what the door sticker says for cold tire pressure.. I think the alignment is fine, the care tracks perfectly straight ( except the steering wheel is off to the left a tad). When there is little no wind the car is pretty stable, but adding some wind to the mix and it feels floaty... I guess its just how it is.. I came from Volkswagens/Audi which were like driving a cinderblock on wheels.. they never veered unless the wind speed was really fast.. It may ne something I will need to get used to..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts