Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V EX Aegean Blue Metallic
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has any noticed any thump/ clunk/ or maybe a kink feeling that can be felt in the brake pedal when pressing to slow down or stop... It does not appear to be the shift lock or the brake light switch or anything else as it does not do it as much in park. Much more noticeable when driving . Usually happens in reverse or drive.. When you press the brake under normal conditions it can be felt and slightly heard.. Its not the noise you can hear when the brake pedal is releasing (which I consider to be normal). After looking up under the dash there is not much up there that could be the cause.. I wonder if its a switch or something to do with the brake booster. Any one that could shed some light on this would be great.. I just want to know if its something I should bring in for service or it is something that others have noticed and know what it is. thank you !

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oof, hopefully you didn't break your brake pedal ;).

My guess is that the pads are moving in the calipers. If not that, maybe the master brake cylinder wasn't mounted correctly and it's moving around when you apply pressure to the brake pedal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oof, hopefully you didn't break your brake pedal ;).

My guess is that the pads are moving in the calipers. If not that, maybe the master brake cylinder wasn't mounted correctly and it's moving around when you apply pressure to the brake pedal.
Its just strange, it does it much more when I press the brake pedal on the right edge. If I press the brake pedal more in the center is makes the noise much less.. If I apply the brake pedal hard and steady it doesn't do it.. If I press the pedal slow it will make the sound... I just cant figure it out.. The brakes work fine, just a strange thing to happen.

·
Super Moderator
1,742 Posts
Put a brake on your OCD and take a break. :)

No find and replace command, too many and too lazy do manual edit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK my OCD is kicking in: it's brake, not break.
I am just curious if anyone has the same problem.. brand new car with 900 miles on it with a weird noise would make anyone a little un easy.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
162 Posts
As your vehicle is so new, it's possible your PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) was not carried out as it should have been by your dealership.

Not saying this is the cause with your vehicle, but as an example, on my last vehicle a common complaint was raised about the harsh ride, knocking noise coming from the suspension. Turns out numerous dealerships had failed to remove during the PDI the suspension blocks used to stop the vehicle moving around whilst it was being transported from the factory to the various dealerships.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What you are description is not normal. Take it in and have the dealer look at it.
As your vehicle is so new, it's possible your PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) was not carried out as it should have been by your dealership.

Not saying this is the cause with your vehicle, but as an example, on my last vehicle a common complaint was raised about the harsh ride, knocking noise coming from the suspension. Turns out numerous dealerships had failed to remove during the PDI the suspension blocks used to stop the vehicle moving around whilst it was being transported from the factory to the various dealerships.
I made an appointment to have it look into.. fingers crossed they find the issue... who knows perhaps they did forget to do something with the PDI

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has any noticed any thump/ clunk/ or maybe a kink feeling that can be felt in the break pedal when pressing to slow down or stop... It does not appear to be the shift lock or the break light switch or anything else as it does not do it as much in park more noticeable when driving . Usually happens in reverse or drive.. When you press the break under normal conditions it can be felt and slightly heard.. Its not the noise you can hear when the break pedal is releasing (which I consider to be normal). After looking up under the dash there is not much up there that could be the cause.. I wonder if its a switch or something to do with the break booster. Any one that could shed some light on this would be great.. I just want to know if its something I should bring in for service or it is something that others have noticed and know what it is. thank you !
I have a 2021 HRV EX with just over 25k and I haven’t experienced this so far. I agree with the others in that a trip to the dealership is in order. It could be several things, but don’t take a chance. It could be the CVT TCM needs an update, but I haven’t seen any TSB on the street about that. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2021 HRV EX with just over 25k and I haven’t experienced this so far. I agree with the others in that a trip to the dealership is in order. It could be several things, but don’t take a chance. It could be the CVT TCM needs an update, but I haven’t seen any TSB on the street about that. Good luck. I meant 2,500 not 25 k, lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We will see. It’s the actual pedal like the linkage or something is binding. Never happens in park. Only when driving or backing up. Appointment tomorrow. Hope they figure it out. It’s annoying..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK my OCD is kicking in: it's brake, not break.
We will see. It’s the actual pedal like the linkage or something is binding. Never happens in park. Only when driving or backing up. Appointment tomorrow. Hope they figure it out. It’s annoying..
Took the car to the dealer and had them hear the noise with the brake pedal. I was able to duplicate it many times.. I was told that it was coming from the brake pedal assembly which I knew .. I was told that it was the way I put my foot on the brake..Mind you I have been driving for 30 years and was told I was pressing the brake pedal all wrong and that I need change my style of hitting the pedal (I didn't know there was a right and wrong way to apply the brakes in a car). I guess I stand corrected!! I have never had this issue in any other vehicle. They said its normal in one breath, but there must be something loose in another. Which is it? Is it my inability to hit the brake pedal correct or something is loose or its normal... I find it all hard to believe. I may make an appointment at another dealer, there just so happens to be like 4 different Honda Dealers including the one I got the car from with in a 15 mile radius from me.. Can you bring a car from another dealer to another one for service or is that is frowned upon?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
No, goto a different dealer if you are not happy with your current.
Thank you. I think I am going to. It’s hard to believe it’s my applying the brake to be culprit.. using a brake pedal is universal and applying it wrong is sort of a bull ..

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Also, if they have another HRV on the lot see if it makes the same noise. That should tell you if it's normal or not

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I miss understood- thought the noise was coming from elsewhere, not the actual brake pedal assembly. That is obviously not normal operation since Honda goes to great lengths to ensure as quiet a ride as possible. I would try another dealer and then elevate to corporate with a case number if that doesn’t work.

·
Registered
250 Posts

^^ This post tells me that it's not a brake pedal issue. Could still be a brake system issue though.

Can you replicate the noise when the engine is off?
Does having the parking brake on or off make a difference?
Can you hear the noise better with all 4 windows down?

Although your 2021 HRV is under warranty, you could jack it up, spin each wheel while someone applies the brakes to see if you can narrow down the issue.
Have someone press the brake while you have your head under the hood listening for the noise.

Perhaps record a video of the noise and post it?
The video should show the brake pedal being activated corresponding with the noise.

Like was mentioned, Google "break" versus "brake". :)

Reactions: Phalkon30

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
^^ This post tells me that it's not a brake pedal issue. Could still be a brake system issue though.

Can you replicate the noise when the engine is off?
Does having the parking brake on or off make a difference?
Can you hear the noise better with all 4 windows down?

Although your 2021 HRV is under warranty, you could jack it up, spin each wheel while someone applies the brakes to see if you can narrow down the issue.
Have someone press the brake while you have your head under the hood listening for the noise.

Perhaps record a video of the noise and post it?
The video should show the brake pedal being activated corresponding with the noise.

Like was mentioned, Google "break" versus "brake". :)
You can slightly hear and feel when the engine is off not as loud.
As for the parking brake its usually off as I notice it more when the car is moving.
I hear nothing outside the car.. Only inside and its coming from the brake pedal area. I notice it much more when pressing the brake on the right side of the pedal. If I pay attention and press the pedal more centered it happens less.. If I press the brake with my left foot on the left side its doesn't make the sound or sensation at all...CRAZY I KNOW!!! I don't drive with two feet but thought I would try it and it stops the noise and the clunk under my foot .. I can reproduce for the service department but they don't seem to think anything of it.. I have showed them by moving my foot on the pedal can almost eliminate it and they told me to just change my driving style... That makes no sense, who presses the brake on the left side? I may have not explained it completely . When I press the pedal I can feel it and hear it. The pedal is not smooth when pressing its like you hit a point and there is a pop under your foot and if the radio is off you can hear it as well.. I just want to get to the bottom of the issue..I will also try to make a video this weekend to show what I am talking about.

Sorry about the Break instead of Brake!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts