Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Currently, I live in New York City and I'm looking for used cars to new cars to buy HR-V.

1. Based on the current OTD price, is it possible to purchase less than 30K? It doesn't matter which model it is.

2. I'm planning to buy it in New York. Do you have any dealers to recommend?

3. If you buy a used car, you will buy less than 25K and a new car about 30K, which one would be a wiser choice?

I look forward to your opinions. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Rule No. 1. Before you buy from ANY dealer, talk to people about their reputation. Only Congress has a reputation worse than a used car dealer. If you can, buy from an individual. I've bought cars and motorcycles and trucks from individuals via locality, newspaper ads, Craigslist and eBay.

Rule No. 2. All cars start depreciating the minute you buy them. In my opinion - I've been buying new and used cars for over 50 years - the best buy is a used model with a good reputation for reliability and quality and has a good history. Find one with a CarFax and service history or if you are looking at a dealer, some kind of warranty. Go online to check for TSB's. The biggest problems now with new cars is the electronics. I was in a shop yesterday and one of the mechanics had the entire engine out because of an electronic gremlin. If you can, talk to some mechanics about their experiences with models you are interested in. Oh yeah, if it is a used car, "city miles" are far worse than "highway miles".

Rule No. 3. Do not be in a hurry and "impulse buy". Been there and done that and regretted every minute. Possible money pit. Sleep on it before you buy it. Do NOT let the paint or "bells and whistles" on the car inflence you. If you're broken done on the side of the road, all that bling won't get you home.

Rule No. 4. Know in advance who will be doing the service and repairs. I've stayed with my local Honda dealer for over 30 years because they've taken good care of me in sales (new and used) and service (I'm friends with all of the mechanics). This is not to say that all Honda dealers are like that. I'm lucky that I live in a rural area where the dealerships rely on repeat sales and good reputations.

My personal opinion is that the newest cars are declining in quality each year. I'm partial to Honda and Toyota but there are some models in them that I would not touch.
Stay away from the new turbo engines with direct gas injection and super high pressure fuel pumps. Excellent power and gas mileage but short life spans.

This is just a tip of the iceberg of what you need to know. Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Use truecar.com. You'll find that you can totally get a brand new HRV OTD for less that 30K. That website will actually show you the actual price people have paid for that car in your area recently, if you make an account which is free. You can also contact the dealers through that website and lock in the lowest price without ever having to haggle with a salesman.

As for dealers, use dealerater.com. Great site which people give ratings and reviews on dealers nationwide.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Depending on where you live, the cheapest dealer may not be the best dealer. I live in a rural area where the local Honda car dealer has been in business for over 30 years and has an excellent reputation for taking care of its customers in sales and service. I've been dealing with them as long as they have been in business. I've had several friends drive 80 miles away for a better deal on the sale. They know they won't have their vehicle serviced there because the labor charge per hour is higher and it is very inconvenient to drive the distance and wait for the car to be serviced. Add that to the fact that their service reputation is unknown. Maybe it is good, maybe it is bad, but it is definitely more expensive.

My local dealership charges a few more dollars on the initial sale, but they have saved me thousands of dollars and hours or days in having service or repairs done. There have been many times - including yesterday - that I've asked them to squeeze me in between other customers' appointments to look at a potential problem and confirm that I don't have a problem or that if I do, I can make an appointment for another day and order parts for that day. This dealership even offers me a loaner every time that I have one of my vehicles serviced, no matter how short or long the service is, so I can take care of other business.

In the long run, I've saved a lot of money and time by spending a little more up front to buy the car in order, to save a lot of time and money later. It's exactly like an investment. When I buy a used vehicle from a private party, I continue to use this garage for the same reasons.

When someone who lives in the area drives "out of town" for a better deal in the sale price brings that vehicle from the other dealership back to my local dealership/garage for a repair or service, they will be serviced at the same rates as everyone else. There is no discrepancy in this regard. But they won't always get the courtesy of emergency break-ins or loaner cars or other niceties that the loyal customers get. Karma. The dealer does not "get even" but they also don't forget. The Golden Rule goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Years ago when I bought my first Honda I read an article comparing a dodge neon to a Honda Civic for 2 years. When they finished the long term review they sold them. The neon had depreciated %50, the Civic %15
Buying used you give up
-full warranty
-dealer discounts on interest
-assurance the car has not been abused
-any wear and tear

So unless you get a really good deal ( in which case I would be suspicious), little reason to buy used when it comes to Hondas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts