Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I have a brand new 2021 HRV. There is intermittent static that comes thru the Bluetooth when listening to music and static while using Apple CarPlay. No static when talking to someone on Bluetooth. I’ve never known satellite radio to cut out either and it does that as well.
Took to the dealership. Told me they can’t fix it because they didn’t hear the static when they test drove it and there’s no diagnostic code for it. They told me this is the same issue that Odysesy owners are having and the fix is replacing a fakra connector? However, the HRV does not have this connector.

Brand new car, under factory warranty and I’m told “sorry, can’t fix it.” They tried to blame Apple but it’s not Apple. I have another car and it works perfectly.

I welcome any advice/I formation you can give me because this is unacceptable and I’m livid.

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
303 Posts
Are the issues consistent enough for you that you you could take a technician for a ride to experience them first hand?

It may be that your phone or cabling is contributing to the issue, and they need to observe the static and cut-outs as you do!

+++++++++++

I'll never forget in the early 90s when I first got a cell phone. About the same time I got a new car (not a Honda) and the sound system repeatedly had a noise. Asked the dealer to fix it, they let the car idle several hours but it wouldn't do it for them. Turns out it was my cell phone causing interference.

Even today, my wife's 20 year old minivan (not a Honda) suffers noticeable reduction in radio signal strength when we use certain aftermarket Lightning cables.:mad: And, this does NOT happen in our two Hondas.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
853 Posts
These may or may not resolve your issue, but will help eliminate what is not causing the issue.

Ensure your Apple device has the latest updates downloaded. Same with your vehicles Head unit software, it's not unusual for it not to be upgraded from the factory.

Check on Apple forums to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issues as yourself, and were they able to resolve it, or is it a software related issue.

Try another Apple device to see if it works. This would help to establish if the issue is with your device or not.

Try using the official charger cable that came with your phone, some propriety cables can cause issues even if they are from well established and respected brands.

Buy a cheap go-pro like camera and set it up to record the static so you can show the actual issue to your dealer; a picture paints a 1k words.

When dealing with your dealer or Honda US, ensure all correspondence is in a printable format; email, letter, even text. That way you avoid 'he said/she said' issues arising with verbal communications.

If you do not get any joy with your dealership, escalate it to Honda US Customer Services.

As an aside, I was pleased as Punch when I found out my HR-V had MirrorLink installed on the head unit as it meant I could use my Sygic satnav. Unfortunately, Honda never updated their software from version 1.1, and even if they did, due to the increase in popularity of Android Auto and Apple Carplay, Samsung stopped supporting it. I'm afraid this is just the start of where software will render hardware redundant.

Good luck.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
853 Posts
Further to my last, ensure the condition of your charging cable. If it is twisted, frayed or cracked that may be the cause.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the issues consistent enough for you that you you could take a technician for a ride to experience them first hand?

It may be that your phone or cabling is contributing to the issue, and they need to observe the static and cut-outs as you do!

+++++++++++

I'll never forget in the early 90s when I first got a cell phone. About the same time I got a new car (not a Honda) and the sound system repeatedly had a noise. Asked the dealer to fix it, they let the car idle several hours but it wouldn't do it for them. Turns out it was my cell phone causing interference.

Even today, my wife's 20 year old minivan (not a Honda) suffers noticeable reduction in radio signal strength when we use certain aftermarket Lightning cables.:mad: And, this does NOT happen in our two Hondas.
Thanks for the reply. I live close to the dealership and that’s basically what I said to them. I have to let them keep it until they hear it. Of course when it acts up the dealship isn’t open, etc. I’ve ruled out that it can’t be the phone. I’ve tried my daughters brand new iPhone and it does it with hers too. Have the Certified Apple charger too. Software is updated. I can drive an hour with no static. Then I can be driving 10 mins and then it happens. I have other friends with Honda’s and they have no issues. I bought this car because Honda’s are known to run forever. I’m going to be trading it in sooner than later if I can’t get a resolution to this. I’ll post an update.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These may or may not resolve your issue, but will help eliminate what is not causing the issue.

Ensure your Apple device has the latest updates downloaded. Same with your vehicles Head unit software, it's not unusual for it not to be upgraded from the factory.

Check on Apple forums to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issues as yourself, and were they able to resolve it, or is it a software related issue.

Try another Apple device to see if it works. This would help to establish if the issue is with your device or not.

Try using the official charger cable that came with your phone, some propriety cables can cause issues even if they are from well established and respected brands.

Buy a cheap go-pro like camera and set it up to record the static so you can show the actual issue to your dealer; a picture paints a 1k words.

When dealing with your dealer or Honda US, ensure all correspondence is in a printable format; email, letter, even text. That way you avoid 'he said/she said' issues arising with verbal communications.

If you do not get any joy with your dealership, escalate it to Honda US Customer Services.

As an aside, I was pleased as Punch when I found out my HR-V had MirrorLink installed on the head unit as it meant I could use my Sygic satnav. Unfortunately, Honda never updated their software from version 1.1, and even if they did, due to the increase in popularity of Android Auto and Apple Carplay, Samsung stopped supporting it. I'm afraid this is just the start of where software will render hardware redundant.

Good luck.
Thank you for the tips. My friend suggested recording the static as well with a real microphone or go pro so that’s my next step. The videos I do have , it’s difficult to hear the static due to the road noise. I dont believe the iPhone is the issue. Software is updated, Charger is Apple certified and the static is present intermittently with other phones I connect to it. But no static while using Bluetooth when I’m on a phone call. I’m more annoyed that the dealer didn’t help me with next steps. I’ll definitely be calling US customer service.

·
Administrator
1,927 Posts
do you plug in the phone all the time or only when using carplay?

Why do you need a charger? The carplay port will charge your phone. Do you mean USB cable?

I could be wrong, but I don't think Bluetooth is active when using carplay.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi All. I have a brand new 2021 HRV. There is intermittent static that comes thru the Bluetooth when listening to music and static while using Apple CarPlay. No static when talking to someone on Bluetooth. I’ve never known satellite radio to cut out either and it does that as well.
Took to the dealership. Told me they can’t fix it because they didn’t hear the static when they test drove it and there’s no diagnostic code for it. They told me this is the same issue that Odysesy owners are having and the fix is replacing a fakra connector? However, the HRV does not have this connector.

Brand new car, under factory warranty and I’m told “sorry, can’t fix it.” They tried to blame Apple but it’s not Apple. I have another car and it works perfectly.

I welcome any advice/I formation you can give me because this is unacceptable and I’m livid.
Although I’ve never tried it in my HRV, I’ve tried it in other vehicles (the separate satellite radio with antenna) going across country, and it had static when the satellite moves, common issue with them. But like I said, if it’s built into the car like the HRV, I can’t really imagine it being any better. Wish I had more info for you. 🤷🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
4 Posts

hi Becky! We have the same issue with our 2022… did you by chance find a resolution to your issue??? Any help would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi there! I am scheduled to take it back to the dealer once again and demand it get fixed soon. I’ve had alot going on the past several months I wasn’t able to get to the dealer a bit ago. I will keep you posted on here what the outcome is. Please let me know what your dealer says when you take it for service. I’ve been told to call corporate and file a complaint etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What state do live in? I am going to let the dealer know that about yours as well.
We are in MN. Serviced at Hopkins Honda. They replied yesterday that the issue was we need to use an Apple cord… not true, since the issue affects Bluetooth and when an Apple cord was used. Our problem occurred twice in two days on a trip and after we had the car running for a while. I just suggested to them today to try running it with Bluetooth on for 30-60 min to see if they can get the problem to appear. I’ll let you know what they find out. Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’m sure you’ve dismissed my post regarding this and I don’t blame you, but being that satellites move and so does the car (not necessarily in the right direction to keep the signal strong), wouldn’t this be a common issue with satellite radio? 🤔

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m sure you’ve dismissed my post regarding this and I don’t blame you, but being that satellites move and so does the car (not necessarily in the right direction to keep the signal strong), wouldn’t this be a common issue with satellite radio? 🤔
[/QUOTE
We don’t use satellite radio, but issue was with usb and Bluetooth. I suggested to the Honda shop they run my car for an hour and they were able to replicate the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there! I am scheduled to take it back to the dealer once again and demand it get fixed soon. I’ve had alot going on the past several months I wasn’t able to get to the dealer a bit ago. I will keep you posted on here what the outcome is. Please let me know what your dealer says when you take it for service. I’ve been told to call corporate and file a complaint etc.
I suggested to the Honda shop they run my car for an hour and they were able to replicate the issue. They are getting approval for a new audio unit which takes a couple days. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have had similar issues with Hrv 2020 model. People cannot hear me when using either apple car play or Bluetooth. It kills me as work as a rep. Dealership unhelpful - any ideas?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts