Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2022 Honda HR-V Sport- Modern Steel Metallic
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2022 HR-V with 1250 Miles started noticing a strange thump/clunk that only happens when the car has been sitting for a while and move the steering wheel left for the first time. . I only hear the noise once then it wont happen again till the car sits for a while.. Once it does the inital thump/clunk the steering doesnt make the thump/clunk again till it sits for a couple hours. I don't know if it ifs temp related doesnt seem to be but have noticed it more in the morning.. I don't notice anything strange in the way the steering feels when driving or hear anything except for the thump.. I am curious if anyone has any ideas ? The car is still new and didn't know if things are still breaking in like bushings, breaks, rack etc.. I thought I would ask before I make a trip to Service to have them say we can't hear it.

· Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
442 Posts
Bring to dealer if repeatable, post back with findings....

++++++++

Those of us who grew up with manual steering cars know that you should ALWAYS roll the car a bit when turning. :rolleyes: This lessens the strain on the steering components (ball joints, tie rod ends etc)

First car we had with ELECTRIC power steering was the '07 Fit. Seems as if a few folks had issues with electric racks failing. Don't take a chance.

Reactions: CSFMASS

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bring to dealer if repeatable, post back with findings....

++++++++

Those of us who grew up with manual steering cars know that you should ALWAYS roll the car a bit when turning. :rolleyes: This lessens the strain on the steering components (ball joints, tie rod ends etc)

First car we had with ELECTRIC power steering was the '07 Fit. Seems as if a few folks had issues with electric racks failing. Don't take a chance.
I dont make a habit of moving the steering wheel while the car is stationary, it just happened to happen the one time I did move it.. Like I said once It makes the thump noise one time, It doesnt do again till the car sits for a while.. I wonder if It just resistance causes the thump because the car isnt moving.. To bring it to the dealer would to have them look at an intermitten sound would turn in to many trips back and forth till they can make it do it. Have you noticed anything like that in your vehicle? My thought is if there was a huge problem it would do it all the time moving and stationary.

· Registered
2022 HR-V EX AWD
210 Posts
I'm never turning the wheel while stationary. It happens at low speeds when first starting, and by the time I've left the parking lot it usually isn't doing it anymore.

· Registered
7 Posts
2022 HR-V with 1250 Miles started noticing a strange thump that only happens when the car has been sitting for a while and move the steering wheel left or right when stationary. I only hear the noise once then it wont happen again till the car sits for a while.. Once it does the inital thump the steering is quiet doesnt make the thump again till it sits for a couple hours. I don't know if it ifs temp related doesnt seem to be but have noticed it more inthe morning.. I don't notice anything strange in the way the steering feels when driving or hear anything except for the thump.. I am curious if anyone has any ideas ? The car is still new and didn't know if things are still breaking in like bushings, breaks, rack etc.. I thought I would ask before I make a trip to Service to have them say we can't hear it.
I had this issue with my 16 hrv. I found out it was the strut mounts just popping into place because they were dry and getting stuck. Rubber on metal means lots of friction. All I did was peel the rubber up a bit and spray some BF-60 underneath both strut mounts and it fixed it. It's been fixed ever since

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After searching online I see that other honda models have see this problem as well. Accord, Civic and Ridgline. It all happens the same way.. The car has sat for number of hours and the first turn of the steering wheel causes a clunk then thats it.. It doesn't do it again till the car has sat for a while again. In my case its only happens if the wheel is turned left never when right.. It only has to be a slight turn like a tap on the weel. Just so strange to happen in such a new car. I want to bring it in and have it checked but I only happens once at time..

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm never turning the wheel while stationary. It happens at low speeds when first starting, and by the time I've left the parking lot it usually isn't doing it anymore.
Since the clunk only happens when I turn my wheel left. I tried something.. When I start the car I moved the wheel a little to the right and then to the left and it doesnt make clunk when I do that .. So I have tried for a couple times and its doesnt clunk. If I move it to the left only it will clunk if Ididnt move to the right first. so maybe you could try that and see if you get the same results.

· Registered
2022 HR-V EX AWD
210 Posts
Since the clunk only happens when I turn my wheel left. I tried something.. When I start the car I moved the wheel a little to the right and then to the left and it doesnt make clunk when I do that .. So I have tried for a couple times and its doesnt clunk. If I move it to the left only it will clunk if Ididnt move to the right first. so maybe you could try that and see if you get the same results.
LOL worked fine yesterday. Today I backed out of the spot turning right, then turned left without a thunk, then turned right and it thunked. Can't beat it. :p

· Registered
1 Posts
2022 HR-V with 1250 Miles started noticing a strange thump/clunk that only happens when the car has been sitting for a while and move the steering wheel left for the first time. . I only hear the noise once then it wont happen again till the car sits for a while.. Once it does the inital thump/clunk the steering doesnt make the thump/clunk again till it sits for a couple hours. I don't know if it ifs temp related doesnt seem to be but have noticed it more in the morning.. I don't notice anything strange in the way the steering feels when driving or hear anything except for the thump.. I am curious if anyone has any ideas ? The car is still new and didn't know if things are still breaking in like bushings, breaks, rack etc.. I thought I would ask before I make a trip to Service to have them say we can't hear it.
Had somewhat of the same issue, brought it in with a small screw puncture and they tried telling me that the screw was scrapping against the tire wheel well (which wasnt happening) haven’t had the issue since i got it back so they did something out of public light.

· Registered
2022 HR-V EX AWD
210 Posts
Is yours still doing it? Mine is but don't always notice it prob because I am so used to it now .
No, I brought it up when I had the last oil change. They weren't familiar with it, but said they would look into it. Then forgot to. Have not noticed it in a while though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts