Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a three month old 2022 HRV lease with about 2000 miles on it. Today my husband went out to sit in a car for a bit - put the auxiliary on to open the windows and then turned the car back off. 15 minutes later he tried to start the auxiliary again to close the window and all the lights came on in the car - service brakes, abs failure, etc etc etc. couldn't get window back up and car click click click. Then the power died. It didn't occur to him it could be the battery on a brand new car.

Finally got through to honda roadside assistance for a tow to nearest dealership. that dealership told us that it would be 89.00 just to diagnose the problem on this brand new car :mad: so while he was waiting for the tow I started googling problems and boy was I shocked to find so many problems including for batteries. So we decided to get a jump and lo and behold the car restarted and bit by bit the lights started turning off. I ended up finding a different dealership that was much more willing to help us and he drove to that one instead. By the time he got there only the check brakes and steering wheel and brake hold lights were still on. The service person checked the battery which said it was "overcharged". She turned the car off and this time it started right back up and all the lights turned off.

Anyone else experience something like this with their 2022? It's left us with a very sour taste between the issue and then being told on a new car we would have to pay for a diagnosis. Grateful we found a different dealership with really nice people in the meantime if we need to follow up.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Sport
43 Posts
There are lots of posts on the battery in the HR-V. You should check them out. You can not still for any length of time without the motor running. The battery is small and used for starting only. Info from my Honda dealer.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
There are lots of posts on the battery in the HR-V. You should check them out. You can not still for any length of time without the motor running. The battery is small and used for starting only. Info from my Honda dealer.
I'm not sure that the " only used for starting" is 100% accurate- Honda designs their charging system to 'shut off' when the battery is sensed to be fully charged - so then you are running off the battery as you rumble down the road. Honda ELDs at work.
yes its small- but that is what is needed to keep weight down, costs down - all attempts to be more fuel and eco friendly.
- and at the same time in an accient who needs a giant hunk of lead crashing through the engine bay ?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Reports of HRV battery issues always frustrate me...

Still an issue, even for 2022 model year HRV's. 7 years into the North American release of the HRV.
No vehicle is perfect and problem free but give me a break Honda...
Quoting another HRV owner.. "We love the little guy, but the friggin' battery issues are frustrating"...

I wish there was an effective simple solution that owners could implement.
I wish the aftermarket would come up with something.
Perhaps some kind of aftermarket plug in module to fool the ECM into charging the HRV battery at full voltage at all times.
I suspect that if the HRV charged the battery at full voltage at all times, with a good quality aftermarket 51R 500CCA battery, that would cure the issue.

I wonder if there would be a market for an "HRV larger battery install kit"?
I am kind of entrepreneurial, doing a ton of automotive stuff in my garage for beer and cash for many years.
Lately I have been installing wifi Home thermostats for beer and cash!

Any kind of "HRV larger battery install kit" would need to allow anyone with simple instructions to drop in a
readily available, good quality, larger capacity battery. Like a group 124R or a 24F.

• detailed instructions.
  • 1 longer J-hook.
  • longer top battery holder.
  • modified HRV battery shelf. Buy a bunch of used ones, modify them in my garage. Very labor intensive.
  • modified ECU bracket. This is going to be a tricky... and labor intensive..

Wow, this kit is way too labor intensive, way too complicated. It would never be feasible..

I would be better off trying to develop an "aftermarket" plug in module that fools the HRV ECM into fully charging the battery at all times!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Reports of HRV battery issues always frustrate me...

Still an issue, even for 2022 model year HRV's. 7 years into the North American release of the HRV.
No vehicle is perfect and problem free but give me a break Honda...
Quoting another HRV owner.. "We love the little guy, but the friggin' battery issues are frustrating"...

I wish there was an effective simple solution that owners could implement.
I wish the aftermarket would come up with something.
Perhaps some kind of aftermarket plug in module to fool the ECM into charging the HRV battery at full voltage at all times.
I suspect that if the HRV charged the battery at full voltage at all times, with a good quality aftermarket 51R 500CCA battery, that would cure the issue.

I wonder if there would be a market for an "HRV larger battery install kit"?
I am kind of entrepreneurial, doing a ton of automotive stuff in my garage for beer and cash for many years.
Lately I have been installing wifi Home thermostats for beer and cash!

Any kind of "HRV larger battery install kit" would need to allow anyone with simple instructions to drop in a
readily available, good quality, larger capacity battery. Like a group 124R or a 24F.

• detailed instructions.
  • 1 longer J-hook.
  • longer top battery holder.
  • modified HRV battery shelf. Buy a bunch of used ones, modify them in my garage. Very labor intensive.
  • modified ECU bracket. This is going to be a tricky... and labor intensive..

Wow, this kit is way too labor intensive, way too complicated. It would never be feasible..

I would be better off trying to develop an "aftermarket" plug in module that fools the HRV ECM into fully charging the battery at all times!

I saw on youtube some guy was able to use factory parts from a V6 Accord to install the bigger V6's battery into his Accord (4 cylinder). It was pricey to get the OEM parts, but it basically bolted in.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I saw on youtube some guy was able to use factory parts from a V6 Accord to install the bigger V6's battery into his Accord (4 cylinder). It was pricey to get the OEM parts, but it basically bolted in.

While it is simple to drop in a larger, common size battery into the Civic, Element, Fit, CRV, Accord and likely other Honda models, NONE of that is applicable to the HRV.
If you peruse those other Honda model forums, you can see how they easily drop in a larger battery to cure their battery issues.

Unfortunately, Honda designed the North American HRV with a restrictive battery shelf and hold down components.
Remove your HRV battery to confirm.
The 51R battery upgrade thread has all my observations and frustrations on the HRV battery shelf and what I had to do to install a larger battery.

This is why so many other Honda model owners have installed a larger battery into their vehicle and only 2 or 3 HRV owners have installed a larger battery in their HRV

If anyone has information to the contrary or has come up with a better solution, post up the details!

Reactions: John35g

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
While it is simple to drop in a larger, common size battery into the Civic, Element, Fit, CRV, Accord and likely other Honda models, NONE of that is applicable to the HRV.
If you peruse those other Honda model forums, you can see how they easily drop in a larger battery to cure their battery issues.

Unfortunately, Honda designed the North American HRV with a restrictive battery shelf and hold down components.
Remove your HRV battery to confirm.
The 51R battery upgrade thread has all my observations and frustrations on the HRV battery shelf and what I had to do to install a larger battery.

This is why so many other Honda model owners have installed a larger battery into their vehicle and only 2 or 3 HRV owners have installed a larger battery in their HRV

If anyone has information to the contrary or has come up with a better solution, post up the details!

Maybe the next gen model will have a larger battery, and we could still steal from them and it still fits ? I doubt it
- i myself do not see an issue with the battery as is.

·
Registered
725 Posts
....- i myself do not see an issue with the battery as is.

FYI- My 2017 came with a 410CCA battery, and I recently purchased new from the dealership and installed myself - it is the same 51R, BUT it's now rated at 500CCA.
I wonder if they upgraded all, or the parts dept batteries are 500CCA to cover all the Honda models ?

No battery issues but you replaced your 2017 HRV battery in 2019! :)

Just giving you a hard time! Certainly not every HRV has battery issues but far too many have...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I only drive my 2021 EX once a week. I make sure I turn the headlights on (NOT Auto mode) whenever I start the car. This fools the car into thinking it needs to charge the battery. I had some issues when I first got the car but haven't had any since I started leaving the lights on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Are you saying that drive with your bright headlights ON at all times? When driving, is your headlight switch always in the ON position?
My high beams aren't on (unless it's night and I need them). I turn the headlight switch to ON to ensure the headlights are on (low beam). I do NOT use the Auto position (although I'd like to). Like I said, when I first got the car, I had a ton of battery issues (including the dreaded dash "Christmas tree" light show). Once I started turning my headlights on EVERY time, I no longer had battery issues (knock on wood).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe the next gen model will have a larger battery, and we could still steal from them and it still fits ? I doubt it
- i myself do not see an issue with the battery as is.
I agree.. I just leased a 2022 HRV and I have no issues at all with 2800 miles on it already. I shut the vehicle off every morning when I get to work and turn on the Aux power for 15-20 minutes. I shut the Aux power off and go to work. It starts up without an issue every times maybe down the road I’ll have issues? As of now I’ve been good for the last couple of months. It’s an EX model btw not sure if they have all the same battery

·
Registered
3 Posts
Based on recommendations in this forum, I am considering getting CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0 tickle charger to use on a regular basis to prevent problems. I would like to be able to do frequent charges without opening the hood. Has anyone installed the eyelet/cable assessory and run it up to/through the front grill? Has anyone tried charging through the lighter socket with the CTEK assessory for this (56-263)? Thanks!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Based on recommendations in this forum, I am considering getting CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0 tickle charger to use on a regular basis to prevent problems. I would like to be able to do frequent charges without opening the hood. Has anyone installed the eyelet/cable assessory and run it up to/through the front grill? Has anyone tried charging through the lighter socket with the CTEK assessory for this (56-263)? Thanks!

Several folks have posted that they have permanently installed an on-board battery charger on their HRV.
A search on this forum will bring up tons of battery threads and info.

Here is an example where a member installed an on-board battery charger, battery monitor and battery heater T'd in with a magnetic electric connector.
The standard 120VAC connector could have been left in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a three month old 2022 HRV lease with about 2000 miles on it. Today my husband went out to sit in a car for a bit - put the auxiliary on to open the windows and then turned the car back off. 15 minutes later he tried to start the auxiliary again to close the window and all the lights came on in the car - service brakes, abs failure, etc etc etc. couldn't get window back up and car click click click. Then the power died. It didn't occur to him it could be the battery on a brand new car. Finally got through to honda roadside assistance for a tow to nearest dealership. that dealership told us that it would be 89.00 just to diagnose the problem on this brand new car :mad: so while he was waiting for the tow I started googling problems and boy was I shocked to find so many problems including for batteries. So we decided to get a jump and lo and behold the car restarted and bit by bit the lights started turning off. I ended up finding a different dealership that was much more willing to help us and he drove to that one instead. By the time he got there only the check brakes and steering wheel and brake hold lights were still on. The service person checked the battery which said it was "overcharged". She turned the car off and this time it started right back up and all the lights turned off. Anyone else experience something like this with their 2022? It's left us with a very sour taste between the issue and then being told on a new car we would have to pay for a diagnosis. Grateful we found a different dealership with really nice people in the meantime if we need to follow up.
I’m having the exact problem. We can’t get in to a dealership until Monday due to the holiday. We will try the driving around. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts