Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2022 HR-V Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2022 HRV Sport. I want to put a trailer hitch on.

Any recommendations

·
Registered
2022 HR-V Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My civic was not recommended either, but I had one on for 10 years. I only need a class one

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
853 Posts
My civic was not recommended either, but I had one on for 10 years.
How much did that affect your insurance when you informed them you had made an authorised modification? Or did you not declare it?

No idea why HUS does not approve a tow bar as they not only authorise them in Europe but sell and install them.

If it helps the HR-V is limited to 700kg unbraked and 1400kg braked with a 70kg trailer nose weight. That's on a 1.5na 130bhp petrol.

·
Registered
2022 HR-V Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our local Honda dealership sells them and installs them. Just looking for the best deal around on different hitches

·
Registered
767 Posts
How much did that affect your insurance when you informed them you had made an authorised modification? Or did you not declare it?

No idea why HUS does not approve a tow bar as they not only authorise them in Europe but sell and install them.

If it helps the HR-V is limited to 700kg unbraked and 1400kg braked with a 70kg trailer nose weight. That's on a 1.5na 130bhp petrol.
I think the laws about towing and headlight aiming in various states, is why they don't recommended it to be honest.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
With all due respect @John35g, if that were true, then they wouldn't offer trailer hitches on any vehicle. There must have been some test or certification that they didn't want to run because it would have increased the cost of the vehicle.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Our local Honda dealership sells them and installs them.
Your statement raises a number of questions.

Are HR-V's destined for Canada officially permitted to tow by HUS or HC? Even though models for the US market are not?

Or is that dealership fitting tow bars even though they are not officially sanctioned by HUS?

Are they fitting Honda branded tow bars, or after market?

·
Registered
2022 HR-V EX AWD
118 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Just bought a 2022 HRV Sport. I want to put a trailer hitch on.

Any recommendations

Does the 2022 HRV owner's manual mention anything about towing like the previous year manuals?

Of course installing a tow hitch doesn't mean one will actually tow anything.
Could be using the tow hitch for a bike rack, ski rack, storage rack, etc.

I'm sure Honda's concern with towing is the weak CVT transmission.
It is likely the same CVT trans in the 2022 models.
Even 4 adults in the HRV makes the underpowered HRV feel really underpowered. I don't think many will tow anything significant with their 140HP HRV.

The UK HRV comparison is irrelevant since the drivetrain is different.

·
Registered
853 Posts
It's impressive what Brits can do with their irrelevant 130bhp drivetrain.;)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Imagine what we could do with that extra 10bhp!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Lol, towing 3100lbs with a 130HP HRV. Like that is a good idea, even if the HRV had a manual trans!

If you look closely at that picture of the European HRV with a trailer behind it, you should be able to see a problem. :)
Plus there is no way you could safely tow a 1400kg trailer with only 70kg tongue weight.
The trailer would sway and wag all over the road.

We do see lots of small vehicles towing trailers here in Alberta.
They are usually in the ditch or back at the dealership trading in their small vehicle for an adequate tow vehicle.

Some of us have been towing for many years. But not with our HRV. :)
This is our 30foot 5th wheel that weighs 12k lbs and our 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins diesel.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
853 Posts
I was merely pointing out that it could be done, not that it should be done.

Good on you for towing 30 foot, I remember when I used to tow up to 1km, but not with my HR-V ;), now there was some Squeaky Bum Moments!

·
Registered
853 Posts
With reference to the towing limitations placed on the NA HR-V, has anyone actually contacted HUS to find out why it is in place, and get the reason straight from the horses mouth and answer the question once and for all, instead of speculating?

From previous experience, when it comes to obtaining answers to obscure or not widely available information I would not rely on information provided by any dealership regardless of how long you've known them or been buying cars from them. If I had done that with reference to how often the Haldex clutch on my previous vehicle should be serviced it would have cost me dear as the information the service staff provided was way out compared to the factory answer.

Dealership answer: Every 60k miles or 5 years.
Factory answer: Every 37.5k miles or 3 years.

·
Registered
491 Posts
@CalgaryHRV and @suparoo
Don't you have one wheeled caravans where you live?

Lol, I had to google "one wheeled caravan".. :)

In North America we call caravans, trailers. There are different kind of trailers: bumper pull, 5th wheel, gooseneck, etc.

We call "one wheel caravans" single axle trailers, as opposed to tandem axle trailers (2 axles).
For heavy hauling, both trailer axles can have dual wheels (each axle with 4 wheels/tires).

Nowadays, very few single axle trailers (other than very small trailers like in your HRV picture above) are sold.
Single axle trailers don't tow nearly as straight, are not as stable and are not nearly as safe when there is a tire failure.

Nearly all trailers sold in North America these days have tandem (2) axles.
I do not recommend anyone to purchase a single axle RV trailer (single wheel caravan!) or any kind of single axle trailer.

My parents RV/camped always and our family RV/camp a ton in the summers.
With Covid lockdowns the last 2 summers, cruising around Western Canada, camping in our RV trailer has been life saving!

• Haha
Reactions: Hadleys Taxi

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ah, you were referring to the single axle. I thought, just like @suparoo, you were commenting on the angle of the photograph where it looked like the NS caravan tyre had joined onto the HR-V's OSR tyre to make a super wide tyre!

I cheated slightly with my arguement. 👿 The HR-V in that image is the 120bhp 1.6 diesel which only comes as a 6 speed manual.

·
Administrator
1,927 Posts
Your statement raises a number of questions.

Are HR-V's destined for Canada officially permitted to tow by HUS or HC? Even though models for the US market are not?

Or is that dealership fitting tow bars even though they are not officially sanctioned by HUS?

Are they fitting Honda branded tow bars, or after market?
People install a hitch for purposes other than towing. Some people use a hitch for a bike rack and other things.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts