Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My 2016 EX CVT 2wd has towed for 7 years now, no issues. Camping, garbage runs, construction material.
10 feet aluminum trailer weighs 330 lbs. I’ll haul up to another 700 of stuff
Before the HRV I pulled the trailer with my Civic for 22 years, again no issues

·
Registered
767 Posts
With all due respect @John35g, if that were true, then they wouldn't offer trailer hitches on any vehicle. There must have been some test or certification that they didn't want to run because it would have increased the cost of the vehicle.
Well it depends on the vehicle the spring rates and wheelbase - the front may rise more in the HR-V given an increase in weight in the rear - say more than in a CR-V or Pilot etc.

·
Registered
2022 HR-V Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm looking to buy a trailer hitch and wiring for my purchase. All information and video shows to run a hot wire to the battery along the exterior floor..

I have 2 questions

1. Why does the wiring need power to run

2. Can I patch into my power socket in my truck area either an old fashion pushin when in use or wire it in the backside of the socket?

·
Registered
2022 HR-V Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'll use mine 3 or 4 times a year to haul small items less than 300lbs

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
  • I'm looking to buy a trailer hitch and wiring for my purchase. All information and video shows to run a hot wire to the battery along the exterior floor..

I have 2 questions

2. Can I patch into my power socket in my truck area either an old fashion pushin when in use or wire it in the backside of the socket?

• The power provides protection to your car with isolation. If the trailer was hard wired into your car, a wiring issue on your trailer or a rock could cause a short, and damage the car wiring
See the attached curt wiring link, where I wire using the push in 12V adapter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much did that affect your insurance when you informed them you had made an authorised modification? Or did you not declare it?

No idea why HUS does not approve a tow bar as they not only authorise them in Europe but sell and install them.

If it helps the HR-V is limited to 700kg unbraked and 1400kg braked with a 70kg trailer nose weight. That's on a 1.5na 130bhp petrol.
The Honda UK 2022 HR-V is a EHEV (Hybrid) and no provision for a tow bar is made nor is it permitted within the warranty. Just saying.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
856 Posts
The Japanese built 2022 Honda UK Ehev HR-V, is the MkIII, which is not on sale in the US.

This thread is about the MkII HR-V which was not only available in both the UK and the US (and is currently still on sale in the US), but were initially built in the same factory in Mexico. That is why I find it strange there is no provision to tow in the US version.

At the end of the day I really don't give a stuff as it doesn't affect me. Just curious to find out the official reason as I personally prefer that what I say is relevant, correct and doesn't confuse matters.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My theory is the lawyers. If they tell you to tow, and something happens you can sue. If they say don’t tow, and something happens it’s on you
I can pick up a new fridge in my trailer and it’s great, doesn’t weigh any more than 2 guys in the back seat so really it’s not an issue

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm looking to buy a trailer hitch and wiring for my purchase. All information and video shows to run a hot wire to the battery along the exterior floor..

I have 2 questions

The trailer light converter needs power from the battery to actually power up the trailer lights.
The converter is just monitoring the HRV rear lights, not drawing power from them.
The HRV rear light circuit, like most small cars, does not have enough capacity to run trailer lights so you can't just T into them.
As Ddemetra mentioned above, the trailer light converter provides isolation from the vehicle rear lights.

Running wires from the front of the tow vehicle to the rear electrical trailer connector is common.
Most modern trucks are pre-wired from the factory.

For a larger trailer, with electric brakes and with a battery installed in the trailer, there are 2 wires run from the front of the tow vehicle.
1. From the trailer brake controller to control the trailer electric brakes.
2. A larger gauge wire from the power management module of the vehicle to charge the battery in the trailer.

I wouldn't just plug the trailer converter into the rear 12V power outlet.
I would be concerned if it fell out and then your trailer lights would fail.

It may draw too much power/current from the 12V power outlet circuit. All the 12V power outlets in the car may be on the same circuit (same fuse) and when you plug in various cell phone chargers in addition to the trailer converter you may pop the fuse.

I recommend to just follow the installation instructions of the trailer light converter module.
It's not hard to run a wire from front to back in the small HRV.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts