Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing my wife's dashcam into her new HR-V and I did it the same way as it was done previously in her 2013 Civic LX. I used a fuse tap to connect the power to a switched fuse so the camera would turn on and off with the vehicle. On her new HR-V I used the fuse that is connected to the rear/hatch 12v adapter which is switched, but when I plugged the camera in, it stayed powered on even with the ignition and everything was off. I also tried a different fuse just in case, but had the same result. This doesn't seem normal to me, does the fusebox always have power even for the switched outlets now, did something change? I ended up just using a regular mini USB cable and going straight to the USB on the console since it turns on and off with the car, but it's not the solution I had initially hoped for.

·
Registered
2023 Honda HR-V EX-L AWD
20 Posts
I was installing my wife's dashcam into her new HR-V and I did it the same way as it was done previously in her 2013 Civic LX. I used a fuse tap to connect the power to a switched fuse so the camera would turn on and off with the vehicle. On her new HR-V I used the fuse that is connected to the rear/hatch 12v adapter which is switched, but when I plugged the camera in, it stayed powered on even with the ignition and everything was off. I also tried a different fuse just in case, but had the same result. This doesn't seem normal to me, does the fusebox always have power even for the switched outlets now, did something change? I ended up just using a regular mini USB cable and going straight to the USB on the console since it turns on and off with the car, but it's not the solution I had initially hoped for.
I was thinking of putting a dash cam and connecting this to the rearview mirror since I did not want to hardwire it, but when I found out this would be more difficult with this vehicle, the 2023 HRV, I was wondering if I can use the mini USB port instead. You just answered that question. I’m wondering what kind of dash cam did you get? I was thinking of the Viofo 119 V3 or the new 119 Mini. Does your USB connection to your dash cam actually work well? what USB cable did you use? I would be most interested.

Thank you so very much.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,425 Posts
You may want to check the dashcam settings, as some give you a myriad of options that may be active by default. Some systems have a Parking mode where the system will record any incidents whilst you are away from the vehicle, so it needs to be permanently powered. I have this option selected on my system and have had no issues with it draining the battery.

Also with Parking mode the rear screen on my camera stays active for around 10 minutes before going to sleep. I think I can adjust the duration that it can do this, which may be the case with your system.

It may also be worth either going on the manufacturers website, or have a punt on YouTube to see if there are any 'How to....' videos for your particular model.

Some systems are overly complicated. I have vhad my system installed for over 2 years. Last month I found out to get access to the menus on the actual dashcam, rather than using the app on my mobile, I have to pause recording, only then does the menu option button appear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using an inexpensive front/rear dash cam from Amazon, I don't recall the exact model. It works pretty well and has a good picture. I'm using a vava front and rear camera in my 19 hrv and I really like it. I'm currently using the USB port under the radio, but I believe they are all running off the same fuse. It was quite easy to hardwire it to the fuse box, but I'm just curious why the fuse box seems to always have power, even for the ignition controlled things.

But yes, the camera seems to power on and off with the vehicle as expected. In my 2019 hrv I don't have it hardwired since the GPS is in line with the USB cable, so I just have it plugged in to a USB port on the 12v adapter, it works perfectly as well.

I went through all the settings and turned off parking mode, but it still stayed on, even after exiting the vehicle and locking the doors and waiting a min. I'm familiar with the camera as I had it installed in her last car and it worked as expected. My question is about more about the fuse box having constant power to ignition controlled outlets/devices than it is about the dashcam, I'm familiar with the camera and it's settings.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,425 Posts
As it would appear only a handful of people on this forum have a MkIII, your best bet would be to get confirmation from your dealer as to the state of the fusebox.

Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I installed my Viofo A129 Pro dual dashcam system, I discovered after the vehicle is turned off, power will remain active for 30 minutes then the computer will turn off the power.
In order to locate the fuses which turned off and those which stay hot, I put tape over the door switch to keep that circuit open (so the computer would think the door is shut). After 30 minutes, I then was able to identify which fuses still had power and which didn't have power in order to install it properly.
I installed a hard wire kit for my dashcam which allows me to record when the vehicle is running as well as when the vehicle is parked and not on, in parking mode. Having this ability really paid off, as a few months ago my vehicle was egged by a passing vehicle, to which was entirely captured in audio and video leading to the suspects being identified within minutes of showing the police, and their conviction for committing the crime which resulted in a $3500.00 restitution charge for damages.
I feel that everyone should have at the least a dual camera dashcam if not one with three cameras (front, rear, and internal).

·
Registered
2023 Honda HR-V EX-L AWD
20 Posts
I was thinking of putting a dash cam and connecting this to the rearview mirror since I did not want to hardwire it, but when I found out this would be more difficult with this vehicle, the 2023 HRV, I was wondering if I can use the mini USB port instead. You just answered that question. I’m wondering what kind of dash cam did you get? I was thinking of the Viofo 119 V3 or the new 119 Mini. Does your USB connection to your dash cam actually work well? what USB cable did you use? I would be most interested.

Thank you so very much.
Edit: I was successful in hooking up my Viofo A119 Mini to the front USB port of my 2023 HRV. No need for my cigarette lighter connector at the rear. 😁

·
Registered
2018 HR-V LX, 2023 HR-V LX (other Hondas too)
2 Posts
Just installed a Mini 0906 dashcam in my daughter's 2023 HR-V LX. I hardwired it to the fuse block by the driver's side kick panel using a piggyback fuse holder (see below).

I ran into an interesting problem that I need to share. I pulled the negative battery post terminal off as I was working around the driver's side A-column airbag and wanted to be extra safe. After installing the dashcam and replacing everything, starting the car yielded a slew of errors that wouldn't clear...
  • TPMS Calibration,
  • Brake System Warning,
  • Vehicle Stability Assist,
  • Brake Hold
It's my first time working on a 2023 HR-V so the learning curve on this was a little steep. I saw nothing in the owner's manual that addresses this nor on-line via Google searches. Cycling through the messages, I finally ran across a message on the left dash cluster that made sense... "Continue driving to reset". So... I drove around the block and all of the error messages cleared.

I wish that the system was a little more intuitive when battery power is restored. :(

Automotive lighting Data transfer cable Circuit component Cable Font

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S CVT 2WD Passion Red
346 Posts
Not wanting to rain on your parade so to speak, but I just read the following on the DashcamTalk Forum:

"Hi All.
I was in the market for another Mini 0906 and my usual UK dealer, Combi UK : Dashcam | Combi Marketing Ltd - Authorised Robomow Distributor were showing 'out of stock' on their website so I emailed them for an update on availability and I got this reply from them today "Sorry now discontinued. Factory closed" so I presume that all the 'Mini' range of dashcams are out of production as well.
I have no other details so if anyone else knows more perhaps they could enlighten us all.
Robbob."

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S CVT 2WD Passion Red
346 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts