Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I baught a 2023 HR-V EXL last month, I had pre-ordered of course and as far as I know I received it about a week after it left the factory.

When I went to pick it up I noticed an overwhelming "New car smell" after all it had just been manufactured. My wife an I had a two hour drive back home. About half way there we both got headaches. We did not equate the two.

Two days later we went for a drive, after about 45 minutes we started getting headaches again, it was about 102 degrees that day and the fumes seemed even stronger than before.

It has been a month now and I can't stand to be in the vehicle more than a couple of minutes, my wife drives to and from work with the windows down.

I put a small bucket with two pounds of paking soda in the vehicle about three weeks ago, but that did nothing, it just seems like adhesive fumes or something and it's not letting up.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Is this Normal?

I really wish I could use my new vehicle.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,376 Posts
Take it back to the dealership and explain what you are going through. It may be PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) related. On another forum it was not unusual for the transport blocks for the suspensionto be still in place after delivery.

Whilst there, ask to go for a drive in a similar vehicle to your own to see if you suffer the same effects.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
well its 2023- so not a lot of owners on this forum yet -

BUT with the increase of ECO friendly materials- its possible they have more of an out gassing of things when warm , hot or new.
there are some foams made with soy products in seats etc so I have no idea what HONDA may have used - same with wiring and possibly the dash and door plastics etc.
102 degrees could bake stuff out too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you really complaining about your new car smelling new?

Put damprid in your car. Drive with window open.
No, I'm not complaining about a new car smelling new, did you read my post?
The fumes are causing severe headaches.
I don't have a moisture problem.
Have been driving with the windows down in near 100 degrees.
Not helpfull.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,376 Posts
There is always an inherent risk when purchasing a recently released model; the factory, dealership staff and suppliers are still getting to grips with it. Although the company will have tested it to extreme, the first customers are more or less guinea pigs.

Although the basic PDI will remain the same, with the increase in spec and tech, they may have missed something out that the latest gen requires that the previous one didn't.

There is also the chance it may be something to do with 'valeting', they may have used something that you can't use with the latest materials or compounds. With reference to that, did you ask for a treatment to be added to the cars interior? Or give you a freebie airfresher??

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you're lucky enough to have a garage, leave your windows open when parked for a while to let the interior "outgas". Being made in North America, with supplies low, you probably got it pretty quick out of the factory. It hasn't had time to "cure".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're lucky enough to have a garage, leave your windows open when parked for a while to let the interior "outgas". Being made in North America, with supplies low, you probably got it pretty quick out of the factory. It hasn't had time to "cure".
Thats what I was thinking, but it's been a month, and we have the windows down as much as possible, Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you have the factory mats, if you do, take those out. They are notorious for that new rubber smell. Second I suggest maybe going over the dash with a vinyl cleaner. Someone told me they actually spray that smell all over the interior coming off the line, somebody might’ve gone crazy with the new car smell spray LOL…

my 2023 has a over demanding new car smell as well but not that bad. I’ve been driving around with the windows slightly cracked and the sunroof cracked. Years ago parts would lie around for over a month or two and then get installed into the vehicles, but as soon as they’re made, their installed, leaving no time to air out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is always an inherent risk when purchasing a recently released model; the factory, dealership staff and suppliers are still getting to grips with it. Although the company will have tested it to extreme, the first customers are more or less guinea pigs.

Although the basic PDI will remain the same, with the increase in spec and tech, they may have missed something out that the latest gen requires that the previous one didn't.

There is also the chance it may be something to do with 'valeting', they may have used something that you can't use with the latest materials or compounds. With reference to that, did you ask for a treatment to be added to the cars interior? Or give you a freebie airfresher??
Thanks for the insight.
They did apply a leather treatment at the dealer, but I have the bottle of product and it gives off no smell or fumes.
I am hopefull that it will ease up soon. But meanwhile, I can't even handle 20 min in that thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have the factory mats, if you do, take those out. They are notorious for that new rubber smell. Second I suggest maybe going over the dash with a vinyl cleaner. Someone told me they actually spray that smell all over the interior coming off the line, somebody might’ve gone crazy with the new car smell spray LOL…

my 2023 has a over demanding new car smell as well but not that bad. I’ve been driving around with the windows slightly cracked and the sunroof cracked. Years ago parts would lie around for over a month or two and then get installed into the vehicles, but as soon as they’re made, their installed, leaving no time to air out.
I didn't think of taking the mats out, I will try that and see if it makes a differance. Thank you for the helpful response.

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
414 Posts
You said you can't determine the source, but perhaps smelling through a paper towel core will help direct you to the source.

Ask the dealer... inspect the cabin filter.

That's all I can think of.

Reactions: John35g

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
One other thought is to wear an N95 mask when going on extended trips until the outgassing stops. I know you shouldn't have to do that, but the 'new car smell' is, as others note, outgassing from the material used in the production of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2023 HR-V EX-L (my third HR-V)
11 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. My car came off the truck on 6/17 and I drove it 6/18 with nothing having been done to it except for being gassed up. I picked her up on 6/20 and she had hardly any smell at all, and the yummy leather smell dissipated very quickly (my last leather interior kept that smell for 5 years or so). I would def get the dealer to check it out in case it's something that could be hazardous!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I baught a 2023 HR-V EXL last month, I had pre-ordered of course and as far as I know I received it about a week after it left the factory.

When I went to pick it up I noticed an overwhelming "New car smell" after all it had just been manufactured. My wife an I had a two hour drive back home. About half way there we both got headaches. We did not equate the two.

Two days later we went for a drive, after about 45 minutes we started getting headaches again, it was about 102 degrees that day and the fumes seemed even stronger than before.

It has been a month now and I can't stand to be in the vehicle more than a couple of minutes, my wife drives to and from work with the windows down.

I put a small bucket with two pounds of paking soda in the vehicle about three weeks ago, but that did nothing, it just seems like adhesive fumes or something and it's not letting up.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Is this Normal?

I really wish I could use my new vehicle.
Sorry about your problem. I purchased my 2023 EXL back in June and never had an unpleasant odor. The dealership needs to fix this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts