Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a recent trip out to the desert, climbing some trails that put the AWD to a serious test and coming home with numerous holes and slices in the tread, I wanted to see what the biggest size all terrain tire I could fit on the stock rim with the stock ride height of my HR-V, so that I could gain both modest ride height for obstacles as well as some room to air down a bit for washboard and other rough terrain.

I spent a great deal of time looking at tires from every manufacturer from Michelin, Toyo, Falken etc before I found out Continental had stepped into the AT market earlier this year with the Terrain Contact series https://amzn.to/2IGVQdG , which has some really good reviews. I have been using Continental Tires on every vehicle since 2010 I think, when I bought my first set of Extreme Contacts and unlike most tires, they have a very high consistency to zero tread. I've never had one fail and the number of patches I've had from screws etc in my TSX, which has seen some incredibly hard use performance driving over the last 40K is insane.

Originally I had looked into light truck tires as well but realized I will never carry that kind of weight off road, they are about 2x as heavy and much louder on the road typically.

Part of the concern was not just size but highway noise and comfort, as well as weight - The stock tire weighs a mere 23 pounds, the stock rim btw is about 28, or 51 total. So putting a 50 pound tire on was not my first choice. Even though this would soften the ride, it would dramatically increase strut and shock wear. Below is the stock tire and specs for comparison.

Even though I like Continental Tires, partly because they are tested to extremes on the Autobahn and are so prized as to be OEM for the Mercedes S Class which has unfortunately thin tires and really needs a comfortable sport tire, I didn't just want to put 700.00 into a pair of tires that I really only need once every 3 months now, (but would likely use alot more often if this worked out) - fortunately they come with some pretty cool guarantees.

60K LIMITED WARRANTY

60 DAY TRIAL

3 YEAR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE

Discount Tire told me that I don't even need to purchase therir warranty and that if I wear out the tires before 60K they actually prorate the mileage towards another set - just in case I go a little too off road lol. The bad side is there is only one size they offer that fits (probably) the 225 60 17 which is 1.3 inches bigger overall, only 6 pounds heavier and lifts the HRV .7 inches and the 245 65 17 which is 16 pounds heavier 3 inches bigger overall leading to a 1.5 inch lift but likely requiring skillful use of a dremel and at least 1-2 inches of lift otherwise.

Continental also has an H/T tire in this line and an LT Tire for highway and light truck but I want to have a tire a little more capable than just a bigger soft road tire and not overly heavy and reinforced like an off road truck tire. Mainly since I am taking used trails, but the last trip I was taking a bunch of small ridge lines and all of a sudden I would come to a hill that the standard Jeeps apparently don't do and turn around before. I don't want to waste the trip to run back and I really don't want to spend 20 minutes just trying to turn around without driving off the edge of a hill either. My HRV tackled every thing I hoped it would do, traction wise - the tires just suffered a little and I wouldn't want to try the same trails at less than 50% tread. I would also be really hesitant to go out if I even thought it might rain as it immediately starts to expose rocks and sandy patches etc in the desert.

After ordering a tire from Amazon - link above, I took it to Discount Tire here in Socal who was nice enough to check fitment for on the front and back no charge so I could see if even the smaller size fits, which it does - the only potential issue is under hard cornering, there may be a light rub on the inner slash shield - solution, don't drive like a race car - lol and look into raising it another 1 inch (I'm doing that anyway) - the tread looks aggressive, for people that dont care for that look, but want the increased ride height, more soft road capability - sand, snow etc and improved ride quality - the HT tire is a better option for you - anywho I really like this and my only sticking point is weather I can step down to a 16x8 wheel (they offer basically the same overall size tire) or not. The main reason for going down in rim size is to give a little more sidewall to protect from curbing, which has happened thankfully just twice in hundreds of trips in 10K miles.

BTW most tire places will match any delivered and installed price - so while my initial estimate from Discount Tire was a little over 800, by buying on Amazon and showing them Pep boys price per tire installed I am able to save about 120.00 on the set, they did not even charge me for the fitment check BTW.

I'm sure the thread crap commandos are going to pile up and cry about the speedo being off +7% - it's off slightly from factory anyway and as the stock tires wear it gets worse, especially at higher, freeway speeds - don't buy them if you cant do simple math or go with the flow of traffic, this is for everyone who might be interested.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As part of this I was rotating tires anyway so I pulled the 17x9 +45 enkei rpf1s off my tsx - the tires are 245 45 17 continental extreme contact dws - they poke .5 inches beyond the fenders, could go 235, or a tiny bit of camber lowered, but with a/t tires I'd need 1 inch flares. I will do a separate thread on the wheels. These are considerably lighter than oem, provide tremendous grip and are still very comfortable and shorten the gearing effectively making it quicker to accelerate, might do a full test in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Your "interior storage" thread had some tire discussion in it but this thread is better for that.

I had never thought that anyone would ever go for an "offroad" type theme for their HRV nor actually take it off-road. :)

Those larger, aggressive tires look way better than the lame, stock Michelins but the larger diameter must really hurt performance as they would really impact the effective final drive ratio.

In your other thread, you mention low speed, mild hill climbing and trail running.
In that situation with the taller tires, the torque converter would be unlocked and slipping.
I would be worried about the CVT trans temperature.
There is a trans cooler (coolant heat exchanger) but I would want to monitor trans temp.
I wonder if there is a trans temp sensor in the HRV that an OBD-II scanner/gauge could monitor?
Likely not, but I have an old Scangauge kicking around that I will try on the HRV.
It would not be hard to add and external trans cooler to the HRV if needed.

In that same situation, engine coolant temp would be a concern. I wish Honda would have included a coolant temp gauge instead of that lame blue light.

Thinking about this further, taller tires with the 6speed manual would be good combo.
Of course, a manual trans is superior for off-road use compared to an auto trans.

TSX looks good. Its quite remarkable how better screwed together our TSX's are than the HRV.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V LX CVT AWD. Crystal Black Perl with many many mods!
91 Posts
Did you end up doing the lift? I’m looking for an extra inch and can’t find anyone on here to discuss pros/cons and what worked in the past

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not yet, there is a place local that makes custom springs but I’m looking at 16 in wheels and bigger tires first that would raise it almost 2in Idk if I will lift it beyond that. Pros are ground clearance but the awd system has its method for cornering on and off throttle and I’m not sure I want to raise the center of gravity 3in

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just updating my earlier post on this thread about monitoring engine and CVT trans temp, especially when adding larger tires and driving the HRV aggressively on and off-road.

A Scangauge does this perfectly:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts