Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to get a a recommended schedule for 30k miles on my HRV 2016. it seems like these days Dealers are very cagey in giving any definitive schedule and price.
I called dealership where i am due to now go in for 30k miles service. I was given attached printout specific to my vehicle base don history.

Does this sound about right on what needs to happen at 30k mark ? Seems just like a lot of inspection then actually doing anything to the vehicle. What should I be focusing on at 30k?
The prices are high (600 bucks!) IMO. They will probably throw in some coupon but then it seems like the prices are inflated just for that

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
If they quoted you $600, the prices are almost double what it should cost @ dealership rates..

Unless you love throwing away money, go to an independent mechanic or just do a few of those things "à la carte"

For $600, you could replace some of those components instead of just inspecting them. A mechanic won't even charge you to look at the brake pad life if they're already rotating the tires.

Maybe you need new front brakes so at the dealer, you might end up spending even more than $600 if you just go with what they say.

Here's what you should get done from that list and I put the cost my local Honda dealer charges to give you an idea on how nutty your quote was.
Oil change - $53
Tire balance and rotate - $34
CVT drain and fill - $121
Replace cabin and engine air filter - $75
Replace brake fluid: $90

Grand total: $373

The rest of the stuff on that list is a scam. Wtf is engine performance service...

They don't even change your differential (AWD) fluid which should be done. My dealer charges $45 for this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah, several 'suspect' services there. Be thankful you are not on the 'PREFERRED' list ($966!!)

What is CVT Cleaner & Conditioner?
Engine Performance Service?
AC Sanitize?
Anti Bacterial Fridgi Fresh? LOL

There is surely more but I'm tired of typing. :mad:

As stated, look at the Maintenance Minder to determine upcoming services based on how YOU drive. Ask for JUST those services, nothing extra. (Possible exception of the brake fluid replacement, which is 3 years regardless of miles)

Most of the inspections are routinely done by all shops. If you are having any issues (like brake noise) then you could get that checked out too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What is CVT Cleaner & Conditioner?
This is what bugs me. There is literally no such thing on the market as a CVT Cleaner & Conditioner.

It's a straight up scam!

Engine Performance Service?
AC Sanitize?
Anti Bacterial Fridgi Fresh? LOL
I figured out the Engine Performance Service is putting a bottle of Chevron Techron in the gas tank. Apparently lots of dealerships do this and charge a high price.

A bottle of it can be found at Walmart for under $5
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-Techron-Concentrate-Plus-10-oz/16647989

AC Sanitize and antibacterial fridgi fresh is scummy as well. If anyone has bad smell in their cabin, the spray isn't going to eliminate it.

A cabin air filter with activated carbon is the best solution for this issue. $14 from Walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRAM-Fresh-Breeze-Cabin-Air-Filter-CF11182/38205671

Possible exception of the brake fluid replacement, which is 3 years regardless of miles
So the water content level of brake fluid can reach 6% to 8% in the third year of service.

I know Honda North America says to do it every 3 years but I've been doing it every 2 years. Most manufacturers recommend 2 years and in some countries like Germany, all cars have to get it done every 2 years.

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Hondas are low maintenance. Fluids, filters and normal wear items replacement up to 100K+. They are not using timing belt anymore. That is one expensive item not to worry about before 100K+

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's an HRV maintenance schedule from a dealer offshore. Many dealers and independent shops will do the inspection parts of these checklists free with an oil change. I thought this was interesting because it had the mileage and time listed in a schedule, like before the maintenance minder. Honda expects you to use the maintenance minder these days instead of a schedule. Unfortunately, I don't know how thorough the minder is in including things like brake fluid changes, air filters, etc.

As stated above, your dealer is blatantly trying to gouge you for inspections that should be free or grossly overcharging for unneeded items. I would leave this guy and find a reputable independent shop, preferably one the specializes in Hondas.

IMG_0638.JPG

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
I don't know how thorough the minder is in including things like brake fluid changes, air filters, etc.
Brake fluid is very 3 years. It is in owner's manual. Air filter should pop up in the MM.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've never done brake fluid or coolant flushes on any car, had many in the high mileage range. Is it really that necessary?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
211 Posts
I've never done brake fluid or coolant flushes on any car, had many in the high mileage range. Is it really that necessary?

I've seen recommendations as short as one year from Wilwood brand (I've bought brake pads/calipers/fluid of that brand).

I won't go too much into the why, other than mentions of hygroscopic fluid and changing boiling points.

But I feel, that like most other fluids in a car... "perhaps" you can go a long time without ever changing it... but there's a potential for repair to cost a LOT should it fail due to some sort of degradation, if not an outright catastrophe. Water can potentially cause corrosion. Lower boiling point might mean what should've been an incompressible fluid is now a highly compressible gas.

Brakes failed, can't stop, crunch.

edit: Going back to my Wilwood purchases... for the first 2/3 of my Fit's life, I tried to stick to the 3 year cycle. But in the last few years, I've actually gone WAY overboard with changing fluids. And that was because I had gone through multiple calipers and a failed rear drum/shoe change. The front went from stock (1 piston/pot) to their DPHA (4 pot) and then to a full big brake kit (still 4 pot, but wasn't the DPHA). Along with the messed up rear shoe replacement (I blame bad quality parts and installer... ie, me), they all ended up necessitating a fluid change. I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of topping up brake fluid, rather just flush it all out with new fluid. Oh, and I still have yet to do the rear drum to disc conversion that I've been building up parts for.

p.s. while the actual cause was because I didn't properly bleed the brakes, I will mention that... having the brake pedal sink straight to the floor when pressing it is quite terrifying, even when just rolling down one's own driveway.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Funny but Honda is one of the very few manufacturers that insist on a brake fluid change, much less three years. Anyway it's been like this since the early '80's. The reason of course is fluid absorbs water moisture which can damage/rust the system or change the properties of the fluid to something hazardous to operate. It just makes me wonder if Honda brakes are more fragile or their lawyers have an abundance of caution.

Regarding coolant, if you use a Honda formulated brand, it's good for 10 years / 200Km according to the above schedule the first time and half that later, which is a good long time. I'm sure this is due to aluminum blocks with steel liners. As above, I'd be curious to know if this comes up on the maintenance minder.

In answer to your question, I would say no to both the fluid and coolant changes unless there's a solid reason like rusty, binding caliper pistons or master cylinder / caliper replacement or on the coolant side, if the radiator or hoses or water pump needs replacement.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
211 Posts
Coolant does pop in the maintenance minder, at least it did for my Fit. But the thing is, the service guy at Honda said all I need to do is top it off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
all I need to do is top it off.
<SIGH> You need to replace it.

Don't know about the MM trigger, but on older Hondas with printed schedules, the first coolant change was 10 years/100K miles, but only 5 years/50K miles after that (because you didn't get all the old coolant out with the recommended, simple radiator drain).

The blue Honda Type II coolant is GREAT for preventing buildup, I converted one of my older cars to it. :cool:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Thanks for the opinions guys. I may meet somewhere in the middle and take it to a local shop at 100k to throw some money at it.

Brakes are still rock solid and haven't had to add any coolant at almost 90k,but it might be good to have someone look at it on a lift at some point

1 - 14 of 14 Posts