Honda HR-V Forum banner

51R Battery Upgrade?

73K views 98 replies 30 participants last post by  CalgaryHRV 
#1 ·
The 51R battery in my HRV has died and needed a jump start a few times in the last 3+ years of owning it. Just recently, the dash lights went bonkers and flashed on and off and clicked violently and wouldn't let me turn the car on or off for several seconds. I've read about this happening to others and it went away after a jump start. I figure the battery is on its last legs.

We have several threads that mention how bad and small 51R batteries are. I know many here have replaced them but it looks like most are getting replaced under warranty with another Honda battery or another 51R battery. Has anyone upgraded theirs to a bigger battery?

#2 ·
I'm interested as well, I'm going on year 3 in harsh Wisconsin weather and it already doesn't sound too enthusiastic to start. Last I looked the expensive AGM batteries actually had less CCA in this size, but that was a while ago

#4 ·
I searched around a bit more and found this useful thread in an Element forum and a couple more in an 8th gen Civic forum. One guy successfully upgraded the 51r in his Civic with a 35. I found a shop that sells new batteries at great prices. The person I spoke to quoted me $50 for an Interstate Mega Tron MT-35 but I'd like to try to fit a 56 in there since it's more powerful than the 35 and only slightly bigger.

This chart gives you an idea of the different battery sizes.
https://www.jegs.com/Sizecharts/bcigroup.html

The OEM 51R battery gives is rated at 410 Cold Cranking Amps. This is a short list of Interstate Mega Tron's or "MT Series" batteries that should fit.

Part Number MT-51R
Group Size 51R
Cold Cranking Amps 500
Cranking Amps 625
(RC) Min @ 25 Amp 85
Length 9 3/8
Width 5 1/8
Height 8 7/8
Weight 27.9

Part Number MT-35
Group Size 35
Cold Cranking Amps 550
Cranking Amps 690
(RC) Min @ 25 Amp 100
Length 9
Width 6 7/8
Height 8 3/4
Weight 35.7

Part Number MT-56
Group Size 56
Cold Cranking Amps 590
Cranking Amps 740
(RC) Min @ 25 Amp 95
Length 10
Width 6
Height 8 1/4
Weight 33.8

#5 ·
I have owned 2 Civics and 2 accords and replace the batteries in all of them within two years. They are such a small CCA number that they work very hard. ...So whenever I get a new Honda, I drive it for about a year and a half , and then replace it with the 600 CCA interstate. They're inexpensive and they work well.

Reactions: Pclaythomas
#6 ·
Curiously I am 43 months into my original battery and thus far it hasn't shown any signs of deterioration. I fully expect some time this winter it will let me know it is time for a replacement, but hopefully that time is when it is parked securely in my garage and not on a frozen downtown street! I would expect that being in Colorado I'd have lower battery life than Glen in Florida, but maybe the excessive AC use trumps the cold starts?

#10 ·
I had a similar problem with the lights flashing and unable to start the car several times a couple of mobths after buying it new. I hsd also had a problem with the CBS ( city braking system) from the outset. They said it needed a part znd ordered it. However after I could not stat my car a few times and had to leave itfor 15 min or so before being able to start it again; I took it to Honda who discovered that yhe battery cable was loose which had caused all the problems. That is a very big oversight by Honda's assembly line Q.C. It msy be something hou could have checked.

#11 ·
Thanks for the tip. I've removed and reinstalled the battery in the past so it's not a loose cable.

A few days ago, I added distilled water and charged it slowly with a battery charger I used to use on my motorcycle batteries. I'm going to wait for it to die out completely before I upgrade to most likely a group 35 battery.

#16 · (Edited)
Just remember when they fail, they don’t really give you any indication, they just go out. An interstate is only a $70 purchase, I’d replace it. My buddies civic went out at 1am in the morning, as he was coming out of a bar, not wasted but he certainly didn’t want to be hassled… The AAA cost was more than the battery.

#33 ·
What impact is there if the battery is disconnected? For example, is there a radio code needed? does the lost of power cause loss of memory of systems that would be a problem?

Is it recommended to use a memory saver when disconnecting the battery? If yes, any recommendations for a good memory saver?
No radio code needed any more. You will probably lose radio station presets, you will lose destination settings in NAV if you have that. You may have to turn off and start it a second time or even drive it a littleto get rid of a bunch of warning lights. Not an intimidating scenario.

#22 ·
Switching to LED headlights would help… They take a lot less power than halogen…

#23 ·
FYI- My 2017 came with a 410CCA battery, and I recently purchased new from the dealership and installed myself - it is the same 51R, BUT it's now rated at 500CCA.
I wonder if they upgraded all, or the parts dept batteries are 500CCA to cover all the Honda models ?

#29 ·
What impact is there if the battery is disconnected? For example, is there a radio code needed? does the lost of power cause loss of memory of systems that would be a problem?

Is it recommended to use a memory saver when disconnecting the battery? If yes, any recommendations for a good memory saver?

#44 ·
Old post, but for anyone else that may see this, I can confirm that no radio code is needed on the LX. I parked the HR-V for just under four months and left the negative terminal disconnected the entire time. When I reconnected it, the time was lost, as well as radio station presets. Trip meters were still there. The red light to the left of the CD slot was still flashing after I set the time. I pressed the power button for the radio and got the message "press and hold power button for 2 seconds to turn on". Did that and the radio turned on.

I got an Interstate 51R from Costco earlier this year I think. $88 out-the-door over here. Just about the least-expensive 51R around.

I let the original battery run flat by keeping it connected with the car parked for a month or two, and I think that was the nail in the coffin. Warranty is great, but I just keep the water level up and test it monthly. Once the State Of Health drops to less than 80%, I'll replace it.

Even if I replace it yearly, that's $7.33/mo to have a less-than-year-old battery at any time. I think I can skip one fast-food meal a month for the convenience.

#30 ·
You don’t lose anything when you disconnect the battery. At least nothing I remember , and I’ve done it tens of times… Cars aren’t like the early 2000’s, much more memories are stored in non-volatile RAM that doesn’t need current.

#34 · (Edited)
Our 2006 Acura had a wimpy 51R (500CCA) battery also.
Although it always made me nervous, the original battery miraculously lasted 8 years with no issues before I tossed it.
I load tested every year and it only got a bit weak in the 8th year.

Our new to us, used 2016 HRV has a brand new looking 51R (500CCA) battery in it.
If it ever fails, installing a much larger battery would be the plan.
The Acura had tons of room to install a much larger 700CCA battery in it.
The space for the HRV battery does look much tighter though.
It may take some work to stuff in a larger battery.

#35 ·
I dont know where you guys shop but be careful with specs on batteries ,when they state cranking amps,some don't give true info,,now the fit and hrv take the 51r,if you want an awesome battery trust me go with a magna power, they are tuff and give you 50 amps more than stock,you will hear when you start the car you got a True 50 more,cranks faster,had mine in my fit for 5 yrs.still like it was when I installed it.sold at parts source and other places $130.

#36 ·
So I tried installing a group 24F battery and it wouldn’t fit because the airbox and the transmission bolt are in the way.

After doing some measurements, the maximum width shouldn’t exceed 6in which rules out a group 35.

I think I’m going to go for the XSPower 5100R which is the same size as the original 51R. Somehow, they managed to pack more power in there as it’s got 650CCA!

If anyone else in interested in the same setup, you’ll also need part# 580 which is the short SAE terminal posts.

#42 ·
It's cool in Calgary this week (-10C/14F ) and the battery in our HRV died on my wife.
I had tested it after taking the HRV out of summer storage but I did not charge it.

I charged it up for several hours, load tested it again and it seems ok.
The battery in our used HRV is not original. It looks near new, Honda 51R 500CCA. Identical to the pic John35G posted in post #28 of this thread. There is no date on it anywhere I can see.

So while I give it a few days to see if it's going to be ok, I got out the tape measure to see what will fit.
Installing another small wimpy 51R battery is not the solution.

The 56R battery, Slowfosho installed above, is a good fit because it's only 6inches wide.
Michael613 confirmed above that 6 inches is the maximum width that will fit easily.
But I cannot find a 56R battery available anywhere. Plus it only specs at 590 CCA which is not enough IMO for a winter rig in Calgary.

I cannot find any other battery that is only 6inches wide with a CCA of 650 or greater.
Most are 6 3/4 inches wide or greater.

A 24F or a 124R both of which are similar in size, 700CCA and readily available are both 6 3/4" wide.
To fit it one needs a different battery top clamp. It has to be wider than the original HRV one.

So now I'm on the hunt for a wider battery top clamp and possibly longer J-hooks.
I want to have it all ready to go in case the original 51R battery gives us anymore issues.

Reactions: Pclaythomas
#43 ·
I've been watching the 51R battery in our HRV like a hawk. It is definitely weak, usually less than 12.0V 1st thing every morning.
It looks new but has no date code on the top of it. But when I removed it, it has a May/2019 date code sticker on the side of it. It's only 1 1/2 years old but it's done. It's a Honda battery and likely has warranty but I don't want another tiny 51R.

After removing the 51R battery, it can be seen that the metal bracket/shelf under the battery will only accommodate a 6.0 inch wide battery.
To fit a larger/wider battery in a common size of 6 3/4" wide is going to require some fabricating of that bracket.
Plus to re-work an ECM support bracket.

This means there is no good solution for a battery upgrade for the HRV.

The 56R battery is only 6 inches wide and a drop in but it's an oddball/obsolete size and only 590CCA.
You won't find a 56R at Costco, Walmart or Canadian Tire in Canada. I called up an Interstate battery distributor here in Calgary and it's a 2 week special order and CAD$180.

But any larger battery is going to need some fabrication to make it fit.

I have to think on this before I buy anything. :)

Reactions: SlowFosho
#46 ·
How does the auto setting on the headlight impact the battery life on a vehicle that has been sitting for an extended period? Yes, the lights stay on for a few seconds when the vehicle is initially shut off. After that, it probably ends up saving the battery due to repeated occurrences of forgetting to shut off the lights.