Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoworldnews.com/articl...ew-2016-honda-hrv-suv-hatchback-testdrive.htm

This is probably a no brainer since it seems nearly everyone will likely be going for the CVT anyways in this type of vehicle, but found this interesting:

"
No complaints on the road, then, where the HR-V does a fine job of smoothly managing the power to either two or four wheels.

We noticed a pronounced difference between the manual and CVT models, in that the manual-equipped models felt noticeably less peppy than their counterparts.

The transmission is smooth and refined, but the CVT seemed better equipped to put down the naturally aspirated power. Neither model is really that fast."

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you read the reviews, they all mention that the CVT is peppy because it keeps the engine way up in the RPM band, so this wimpy engine can actually move the vehicle faster than a glacier. That means noise, which is probably why more than a few writers have complained that it's a noisy car (oddly, others called it quiet).

So I think whether you want a CVT or manual kind of depends on a personal preference. If you like quiet and gentle and low RPM, you probably want the manual - assuming this engine has enough torque to get out of its own way. We'll all know the answer and share notes in ten days, right?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL Just like in the CRV, the engine is appropriate for which it is intended. If your looking to drive an HRV like an S2000, then you will definitely have a problem. Otherwise, the balance and returned 35mpg observed by C/D it definitely welcome.

If the HRV doesn't work for someone and they keep want to see the glass half empty instead of half full, well you got your answer. ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Metaphors, love it!

Instead of glass half empty, glass half full, I'm thinking of a child pointing out "the king has no clothes!".

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am opting for the manual. I have had manuals transmissions all my life and am apprehensive about getting the CVT. At some point I read the opposite, the CVT was not as good as the manual. Please correct me if I am wrong and please let me know why I should opt for the CVT instead. Thanks....

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its up to each consumer to decide what is best for them. You should opt for what you want based on your needs. ENJOY! This review indicated from their experience the CVT was the way to go.

I am opting for the manual. I have had manuals transmissions all my life and am apprehensive about getting the CVT. At some point I read the opposite, the CVT was not as good as the manual. Please correct me if I am wrong and please let me know why I should opt for the CVT instead. Thanks....

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've also driven manuals all my life, but I'm not stressed about moving to a CVT or automatic. I imagine I'll just get used to it in time.

With the manual, which after all these years I shift without conscious thought, I have the advantage of always having the engine at exactly the load and RPM I want for any given situation. My experience with automatics is you have a certain amount of computer-controlled hunting in dynamic situations. Having said that, it's just a reality that standard transmissions are dying off at a fast rate. Automatics are the right choice for the vast majority of the buying public. Zero learning curve (manuals can be scary, distracting and dangerous at first).

·
Registered
751 Posts
Agree with you, scooter, but I'm not ready to relinquish control just yet. I prefer a manual because it's just a more engaged, involved, and challenging experience.

Here's what I said in the cvt sport mode thread:

Another interesting quote (from http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/gateway-drug-2016-honda-hr-v-first-drive):
It’s a minority opinion, perhaps, but in the HR-V we’d forgo the all-wheel-drive to keep the manual (and maybe our sanity). We’re enormously pleased that Honda offers a manual to begin with, because even in this class it’s no longer a given. The GM twins and the forthcoming Mazda CX-3 do not have a manual option.
About half the articles I've read dis the manual, another half dis the cvt. Some of those that preferred the cvt still dislike cvt's in general; a couple called this cvt the best of a bad breed... i.e. they don't like cvt's, but dislike this one less.

In the end it's all personal preference after test drives, and also the relative importance to you of awd. The majority sold in US will be cvt; the majority in Europe will probably be manual. Canada will likely be more cvts, partly for the awd, though maybe higher proportion of manuals here than in the states.

I want a manual. If the hrv in manual doesn't impress me, I'll be looking at other cars, likely giving up the CUV driving height and cargo volume. I'm not looking for sports-car performance, just a car that's engaging and fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have two points to make.

First, I consistently have read reviews that the engine/CVT are loud under load. High speeds or passing situations and it gets noisy.
Other then that people say it is quiet.

Second, I"m considering switching to CVT
At 45, I have owned manuals all my life.
I have test driven/rented several CVT's, most recently the 2015 Outback, and am very impressed.
For me, fuel efficiency is very high on my list. I found with the CVT, driving around town in the outback, I could accelerate up to speed (say 60 km/hour or 35 mph), then go into cruising mode. As you let off the accelerator, the CVT slides down until your RPM are very low, and was regularly seeing around 5 l/100 km (47 mpg) or better while cruising.
I can not do that in a manual.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Very true... the CVT (and a lot of modern automatics on other cars) gets better fuel economy. It's not as high on my list because I drive so few miles.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Reviews have been split on the merits of a Manual and the CVT. If they had all decided one way or the other, it would be an easy decision.

So I think we may just need to set the conflicting reviews aside and sort this out by test driving each. All that matters is what works for YOU, not some reviewer.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The Front Wheel Drive CVT is said to be more responsive than the AWD on account of lighter weight. Has anyone else come across this factoid?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guess it all depends on where you live as well. Being here in a major city during rush hour traffic you quickly learn a manual gets old really quick. :D

I have two points to make.

First, I consistently have read reviews that the engine/CVT are loud under load. High speeds or passing situations and it gets noisy.
Other then that people say it is quiet.

Second, I"m considering switching to CVT
At 45, I have owned manuals all my life.
I have test driven/rented several CVT's, most recently the 2015 Outback, and am very impressed.
For me, fuel efficiency is very high on my list. I found with the CVT, driving around town in the outback, I could accelerate up to speed (say 60 km/hour or 35 mph), then go into cruising mode. As you let off the accelerator, the CVT slides down until your RPM are very low, and was regularly seeing around 5 l/100 km (47 mpg) or better while cruising.
I can not do that in a manual.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Very true... the CVT (and a lot of modern automatics on other cars) gets better fuel economy. It's not as high on my list because I drive so few miles.
More so these day as they're tuned for efficiency, a level of efficiency that no manual can match, much unlike back in the days where manuals topped everything else.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes

The Front Wheel Drive CVT is said to be more responsive than the AWD on account of lighter weight. Has anyone else come across this factoid?
I have read so many reviews that I can't recall which one....but I recall that they said the Civic CVT engine was not as loud as previous iterations. And that it is smoother in the FWD vs the AWD.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ain't THAT the truth

Guess it all depends on where you live as well. Being here in a major city during rush hour traffic you quickly learn a manual gets old really quick. :D
Last car I had with a manual was a 318i (WHICH I loved....best car ever - until I had 200,000+ miles on it!). Definitely - the most fun car I ever drove. My commute has two steep grades and when it's crap traffic it is NOT fun driving a manual. But I was so much younger then, I'm older than that now - to twist the lyrics of a famous song.:nerd:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can understand that. :)

Last car I had with a manual was a 318i (WHICH I loved....best car ever - until I had 200,000+ miles on it!). Definitely - the most fun car I ever drove. My commute has two steep grades and when it's crap traffic it is NOT fun driving a manual. But I was so much younger then, I'm older than that now - to twist the lyrics of a famous song.:nerd:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Fighting traffic in a major city gets old quickly, period. Regardless of what I'm driving.
I have evaluated employment opportunities based on commute. I would rather (if possible) drive a winding country road for an hour than be stuck in gridlock. Not always possible, but a consideration if one can make that choice. It is two hours a day for many.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The whole reason I've been stalking this car like a crazy ex-girlfriend is BECAUSE it is offered in a manual. I have owned only two cars since my first car in 1990, and both have been Honda manuals. Honda gets the manual transmission right. Even living in a hilly, congested commuter city, they are always fun to drive. On a great curvy road, even more so. Neither was/is a sports cars by any stretch of the imagination, but they showed off from time to time. Folks have been giving me grief for the last 6/7 years wondering when I am going to get a new car. The answer has consistently been when Honda makes the 2000 CR-V again. Prayers have been answered, I hope. Can't wait for the test drive, but at only 216,000 miles on the CR-V, I'm in no hurry. The Civic hatchback got to 260,000 before I caved and got the CR-V. Fingers and toes are crossed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts