Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my car I was told that it had 83 miles on it and that’s also what’s on the paperwork. Well as I now noticed, that’s the trip odometer range. What should I tell the dealership about this error?
Speedometer Car Tachometer Motor vehicle Steering part

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
853 Posts
Are you saying they advertised it with 83 miles on the clock, but as per the above image it had actually done over 1200 miles?

I may be wrong as the NA Multi Info Display is slightly different to the UK version, however, the 83 miles looks like the amount of estimated miles left in the tank rather than the amount of miles travelled during a journey, 1224.4 miles.

When was this image taken?

·
Registered
130 Posts
With 1224 miles on Range A, "AT LEAST", you've bought a used car.

What does the non-resettable odometer read?

If the dealer won't adequately compensate, then escalate.

Honda Corporate is nearly useless, but I can't believe they'd tolerate this dishonesty.

·
Registered
853 Posts
@ HR-V LX AWD

Do you still have a copy of the original advert for your vehicle?

In the UK the HR-V spec range was S, SE and EX. There was also a limited time spec of SE NAVI that came with the Garmin Satnav that was normally only available with the top spec EX. My vehicle was advertised as being a SE NAVI, however, sales people being sales people they got the spec mixed up with another vehicle, so it was just an SE with no factory fit satnav.

Fortunately for me the salesperson had previously handed me a printed copy of the advert from their website, and I used this as a bargaining tool for them to throw in nearly £1k in freebies; front and rear mud flaps, dog guard, bumper protector and garnish(!) all supplied and fitted, and they also replaced all four kerbed alloys instead of just repairing them.

If you believe they mis-sold your vehicle and have proof to back it up, it may be worth finding out what the procedure is for pursuing such a complaint in your State. Even if you do not have 'real' evidence; a tangible item, it is still worth exploring what your options are.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
642 Posts
You're bringing up this issue NOW?

You've been a member of this forum for over a year and your very first post was about YOUR 2020 HR-V. So, unless you sold that one and bought a new one, or can prove that the picture is from the dealer from the time you bought the vehicle... which I find unlikely, as pictures of the odometer are not typically part of the paperwork.

I'm more inclined to believe you're just looking at the wrong thing NOW and confusing yourself with a coincidental number. Because yes, assuming you ever have more than 2 or 3 gallons in the tank, the range will show 83 sooner or later, again and again.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I’m bringing it up now because I just noticed it now while looking at the pictures of it when I purchased it. It just made the one year anniversary and I was looking at all of my dash pictures comparing the mileage over the time that I’ve had it. That’s when I noticed it.

It seems that we all, myself included, thought that it had 83 miles on it when I bought it but in fact it at least had 1,224 miles according to the trip odometer. I’m wondering if it had more but assuming that the trip odometer wasn’t reset and also considering the condition when I bought it, I think it had no more than that (1,224 miles).

You can see from my picture files, the dates, I financially qualified for it on 11/22/20 then purchased it on 11/23/20 and picked it up on 11/24/20. Those pictures, including the picture with the 83 miles range and 1,224 miles trip odometer, were downloaded from the dealership website on 11/22/20.

The paperwork does have sold with 83 miles on it. I don’t think it was the saleswoman’s fault, she was new and inexperienced, also a close friend of the family. All of the other personnel though should have known better. Now I’m probably going to go talk to the sales manager about it but I doubt that much can be done and if it had 1,224 miles on it when I bought it I’m not very worried about it. I mean I don’t like it but it’s happened and I have to accept it.
Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot Brand
Photograph Light Tire Motor vehicle Black
Photograph White Light Product Green

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes, I’m bringing it up now because I just noticed it now while looking at the pictures of it when I purchased it. It just made the one year anniversary and I was looking at all of my dash pictures comparing the mileage over the time that I’ve had it. That’s when I noticed it.

It seems that we all, myself included, thought that it had 83 miles on it when I bought it but in fact it at least had 1,224 miles according to the trip odometer. I’m wondering if it had more but assuming that the trip odometer wasn’t reset and also considering the condition when I bought it, I think it had no more than that (1,224 miles).

You can see from my picture files, the dates, I financially qualified for it on 11/22/20 then purchased it on 11/23/20 and picked it up on 11/24/20. Those pictures, including the picture with the 83 miles range and 1,224 miles trip odometer, were downloaded from the dealership website on 11/22/20.

The paperwork does have sold with 83 miles on it. I don’t think it was the saleswoman’s fault, she was new and inexperienced, also a close friend of the family. All of the other personnel though should have known better. Now I’m probably going to go talk to the sales manager about it but I doubt that much can be done and if it had 1,224 miles on it when I bought it I’m not very worried about it. I mean I don’t like it but it’s happened and I have to accept it.
View attachment 33162 View attachment 33163 View attachment 33164
I think at the end of the day - someone has to input the mileage manually into documents for the state or feds etc, and here a mistake was made.
Your car was probably a test drive model ? that seems a lot of milage for a new car

My first new car - on the third yearly NY state inscription, they noticed that the mech for tthe 2nd inspection input an "extra zero" on the millage - and everyear after that I always had been questioned that when they couldnt figure out why milage was off.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You can’t bring the car back a year later and claim you didn’t get a new car.

That boat has sailed.

it’s like buying a Xmas tree and then going to return it on Jan 1st. You have zero argument even if you have picture proof with date stamp. Has the car been running poorly or are you having issues? Obviously, they screwed up the range with actual mileage. But if the car is running poorly and you are having issues, then it’s probably still well under warranty.

otherwise, you have no leg to stand on here. I sold something online well over a year ago, and the guy comes back to me over a year later and said it fell off his car. You know how many things can happen during that year +. I am not a manufacturer and have warranty. The dealer is a dealer and not the manufacturer. Honda holds your warranty. Not the dealer. Their hands are washed clean of this within days. I can see you going back a week later at most. But a year + later. You have to blame this on yourself.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that I already covered everything that you've said with my comments above; "It seems that we all, myself included, thought that it had 83 miles on it when I bought it" and "I doubt that much can be done and if it had 1,224 miles on it when I bought it I’m not very worried about it. I mean I don’t like it but it’s happened and I have to accept it".

I'm not trying to make a big deal of this, notice I didn't even call the dealer yet. It's just something that I noticed and opened a discussion here to share an experience. There is nothing wrong with the car. It's just unusual that's all (the mistake on the mileage at sale).

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's a critical oversight on a new vehicle purchase. I've had similar learning moments when I was younger. :)

How many miles now on your 1 year old HRV?
If it now has 30 000+ miles, the 1200 extra miles are no longer a factor.

·
Registered
853 Posts
There is no harm in speaking to the dealer and see what they say. If nothing else they could use it as a training aid; 1. Make sure you record the correct mileage!

As others have stated, personally I think that Ship has sailed and you just have to put it down to experience and ensure you carry out 'due diligence' on any future major purchases. The cover sheet for my purchase has the basic details of my vehicle; Date of Registration, Date of Purchase, price, colour, spec and mileage, which was signed by the salesperson and counter signed by me. If you have signed something similar, I would say this more or less kills any chance you have of redress, as you have signed to say you agree with the details listed.

I always say I will not make the same mistakes again when purchasing a car, and invariably I tend to do just that. It's the pressure and excitement of the purchase.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the excitement haha that’s true and it’s my first new car even though I’m middle aged. I’ve never in my life paid notes on a car. I’ve always paid cash and gotten the best that I could with what I had in the bank plus sales of my present car.

A big factor is that the saleswoman, the friend of the family is actually a relative of my relative and I think it was her mistake to begin with about this problem. That being a factor, I’m probably going to do nothing especially since the car now has over 20,000 miles and hasn’t had any problems.

I hate doing business with friends or family but she just happened to work at the dealership.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I bought my car I was told that it had 83 miles on it and
View attachment 33153
Although 1200 miles is a considerably large amount of miles for a new vehicle, I've seen demo models with this much mileage. In fact, my first brand new vehicle I purchased in 1991 was a demo model with such mileage.
But more importantly, if I'm understanding your photo correctly, the "range" amount being displayed (83) isn't indicative to the total miles put on the vehicle, but is a display of approximately how many more miles can be driven with the current fuel amount before requiring more fuel, given the driving habits the vehicle has recorded up to that point in time. Who ever documented 83 miles on your paperwork at the dealership was in total error for listing this as the mileage, but I highly doubt there's anything you can do about it now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
When I bought my car I was told that it had 83 miles on it and that’s also what’s on the paperwork. Well as I now noticed, that’s the trip odometer range. What should I tell the dealership about this error?
View attachment 33153
Tell them exactly what you just posted, and ask them how it can be fixed on the paperwork. I’m not sure if it’ll make a lot of difference except for the fact that you probably paid more than you should’ve because of this fact. Take it back and make a stink about it if they don’t give you some type of refund.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found the picture in question posted in my album on this forum dated 25 November 2020 as further evidence. I’ve decided that I will go talk to the sales manager after the new year but am not sure what to expect, if anything at all.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you are insistent on raising this as an issue with the selling dealership, I would have a word with the close family friend who sold you the vehicle before going to the sales manager. At least give her the courtesy of a heads up so that if she is found to be at fault then she is prepared for it. She may even be able to assist in resolving this.

Some points that you mind helpful (after having a Netflix account for a few years I am FULLY aware that the law and how it is applied is different in the US to the UK!!);

It is normally the case where the burden of proof lies with you to prove the quoted mileage was incorrect, not for the dealership to disprove it.

Can you tie the posted image with your vehicle and only your vehicle? The contained metadata may have dates, time and possibly location, but can you prove beyond reasonable doubt the image is from your vehicle and not another one?

If the alleged misquoted mileage is such a concern, why has it taken you approximately 12 months to raise that issue?

Check your paperwork, if you have signed anything to say that you are satisfied with the vehicle, or happy at the time of the handover, I would consider that Case Closed.

Personally, unless the dealership is feeling flush with goodwill et al, I think you may be peaking too soon. There may be a point in the future where you will have a more serious issue and will find after raising this complaint that the dealership is waiting on a fresh delivery of good will, as far as you are concerned.

It is still up to you as to what to do next, but I would strongly advise broaching the subject with the close family friend first. Pyrrhic victories are not the sort you want to be winning!

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The family member of the family member never replied to the text message, she may not even work there anymore. I’m going to go talk to the sale manager possibly this week just to see what he says about it. I’m not expecting to gain anything from this, it was a mistake by everyone including myself, I’m just interested to hear what their reaction will be and mine is meh it’s moot now anyway at 20,000+ miles.

·
Registered
853 Posts
To show just how easy it is to overlook things, I've just discovered that I am not in possession of the physical document that proves I am the owner of my vehicle.

At the time of purchase we were just about to go into full lock down, and I was also sitting interviews and medical exams for a new job, so it was not at the top of my list of things to check that I had received it within the normal period of 3 weeks from date of purchase. Never noticed until now as I pay my insurance, vehicle tax and so on automatically by Direct Debit. As I am recorded as the registered keeper and owner on the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency website, all transactions went through automatically. If I had tried to pay these items in person at the Post Office I would be required to show this document.

I've just completed the online form and should be in receipt within 5 business days. I won't hold my breath as the DVLA staff are either working from home and or on strike!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts