Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an open question here based on the rapid re-do of the Civic a couple of years back. Here's the article about it ....

http://www.thecarconnection.com/new...-will-get-a-speedy-facelift-after-bad-reviews

Do you think it is possible Honda would re-do their dash after one year if they heard enough complaints? Don't get me wrong, I think the dash looks very sporting and elegant. I like the look.
However, it lacks the cubbies and storage seen in every other CUV I have looked at. Maybe it's because the HR-V is trying to be too many things at once. I don't know....

The press has not been very kind to that row of vents either.

Secondly , what would be the best way to contact Honda with my displeasure with the dash design?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I test drove both the base HR-V and a Mazda3 hatchback today, that row of vents on the Honda was really unpleasant to look at. I also noticed the lack of storage space/ cubbies. Those problems, along with an uncomfortable drivers seat, reallly sapped my enthusiam for the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
The dash is a logical design and if you actual use it, everything is properly arranged. The auto climate control is typically set it and forget it ~ no brainer.

The vents when used operate practically and I have found the seats to be quite comfortable. YMMV.

And those trying to compare the HRV to what Honda did to the Civic several years ago, you obviously haven't been following Honda products. LOL

Don't get hung up on what you read as others did initially with the noise (lack there of), acceleration, etc. ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I test drove both the base HR-V and a Mazda3 hatchback today, that row of vents on the Honda was really unpleasant to look at. I also noticed the lack of storage space/ cubbies. Those problems, along with an uncomfortable drivers seat, reallly sapped my enthusiam for the vehicle.[/QUOTE

Can you elaborate a little, what was your impression of the 3? How did pwr and noise levels compare, Infotainment, Interior quality etc etc.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The dash is a logical design and if you actual use it, everything is properly arranged. The auto climate control is typically set it and forget it ~ no brainer.

The vents when used operate practically and I have found the seats to be quite comfortable. YMMV.

And those trying to compare the HRV to what Honda did to the Civic several years ago, you obviously haven't been following Honda products. LOL

Don't get hung up on what you read as others did initially with the noise (lack there of), acceleration, etc. ;)[/QUOTE

Yeah, don't trust your senses if it results in negative impressions.

·
Registered
290 Posts
>> Don't get hung up on what you read as others did initially with the noise (lack there of), acceleration, etc.

Well, I have exactly the opposite guidance. Listen very carefully to what others say, ESPECIALLY the negative comments. And take notes. And address them on your drive.

As a military test aviator, I pre-flighted every test flight to the point of exhaustion, because each minute in that aircraft was precious. It's the same way on a test drive. You have 15 minutes to decide if you want to purchase a car, probably with a salesman in the car deliberately distracting you from the car's faults. If you walk in there with a printed list of what others found wrong, you now have an excellent checklist to help you make the most of that 15 minutes. Storage - look and decide for yourself. Performance, do a merge on a highway or go up a hill - and decide for yourself. Visibility - decide for yourself. Touch controls - wait till you're on the highway, and try to change the channel - the decide for yourself. Headroom - decide for yourself.

If you show up for that test drive with a simple checklist of potential negatives, you're gonna address each of those items in a conscious manner before you're finished. If the answer to all those items is "not an issue for me", then you're going to leave that test drive knowing you fully evaluated the car and feeling really, really good about your decision to buy an HRV.

Just one guy's opinion, but if I had to choose between a forum that called out a new car's possible faults, and a forum of fanboy cheerleaders - I'll take the former any day.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Ah thanks for the military prospective, but not really sure what relevance that bares here or really anyone's occupation. I don't mind hearing the good and the bad, but when the bad becomes the norm for some, kind of gives the writing is on the wall the vehicle isn't for you.

Actually thought you would have chimed in sooner as it seems where one pessimistic view goes, the others in this crowd seem to follow. Very few optimistic views on here anymore...I get it, they already bought their HRV and are out enjoying it, tired of coming back here hearing the same old doom and gloom. :(

>> Don't get hung up on what you read as others did initially with the noise (lack there of), acceleration, etc.

Well, I have exactly the opposite guidance. Listen very carefully to what others say, ESPECIALLY the negative comments. And take notes. And address them on your drive.

As a military test aviator, I pre-flighted every test flight to the point of exhaustion, because each minute in that aircraft was precious. It's the same way on a test drive. You have 15 minutes to decide if you want to purchase a car, probably with a salesman in the car deliberately distracting you from the car's faults. If you walk in there with a printed list of what others found wrong, you now have an excellent checklist to help you make the most of that 15 minutes. Storage - look and decide for yourself. Performance, do a merge on a highway or go up a hill - and decide for yourself. Visibility - decide for yourself. Touch controls - wait till you're on the highway, and try to change the channel - the decide for yourself. Headroom - decide for yourself.

If you show up for that test drive with a simple checklist of potential negatives, you're gonna address each of those items in a conscious manner before you're finished. If the answer to all those items is "not an issue for me", then you're going to leave that test drive knowing you fully evaluated the car and feeling really, really good about your decision to buy an HRV.

Just one guy's opinion, but if I had to choose between a forum that called out a new car's possible faults, and a forum of fanboy cheerleaders - I'll take the former any day.

·
Registered
402 Posts
More like if you don't like it, then you don't like it and the car is not for you so try to find something that works based in your needs and enough with the pessimism :laugh:

What pessimism? I have great optimism Honda will address many of this vehicle's faults in a product cycle or two. Maybe sooner.

I'm optimistic that if Honda does not get its act together, there will soon be alternatives on the market that combine this car's clever packaging with a good power train. I'm an optimistic guy.:D
I think you confuse pessimism with skepticism. Of that I plead guilty.

·
Registered
290 Posts
>> I have great optimism Honda will address many of this vehicle's faults in a product cycle or two.

I think they'll offer the turbo engine, refresh the dash, maybe make the sunroof an option on the EX, and have a killer automobile inside of two years. I also have a strong suspicion that these forums - there's one like this for every single car and concept car on the market - are actually sneaky ways for product developers to listen in and gather market reaction. So I'd like to think we're helping make a better HRV by criticizing it.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I test drove both the base HR-V and a Mazda3 hatchback today, that row of vents on the Honda was really unpleasant to look at. I also noticed the lack of storage space/ cubbies. Those problems, along with an uncomfortable drivers seat, reallly sapped my enthusiam for the vehicle.
Thanks for your input. As to my question....do you think there is sufficient disappointment in the dash design that Honda will undertake a rapid re-do like they did on the Civic a couple years ago? Many have said they like it, so maybe Honda may not feel any urgency to change?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
>> I have great optimism Honda will address many of this vehicle's faults in a product cycle or two.

I think they'll offer the turbo engine, refresh the dash, maybe make the sunroof an option on the EX, and have a killer automobile inside of two years. I also have a strong suspicion that these forums - there's one like this for every single car and concept car on the market - are actually sneaky ways for product developers to listen in and gather market reaction. So I'd like to think we're helping make a better HRV by criticizing it.
Thanks so much for your answer. I too hope Honda is "listening" in on this forum.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

What pessimism? I have great optimism Honda will address many of this vehicle's faults in a product cycle or two. Maybe sooner........

I hope so too. I think many that are Ok with the dash as it is, will also not be offended by any change to make it more storage friendly.

I can wait a year for it, if we are lucky to see that fix that soon. I really do like the car in so many ways. This would make it near perfect for me. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts

A Direct injection turbo is on the way for the Civic. Sure to follow for the HRV. Imagine this thing with a torquey engine with better fuel economy. That would get me off the fence. New dash and infotainment, just gravy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for your input. As to my question....do you think there is sufficient disappointment in the dash design that Honda will undertake a rapid re-do like they did on the Civic a couple years ago? Many have said they like it, so maybe Honda may not feel any urgency to change?

Now I'm just a small town pizza lawyer, but I don't believe Honda will make any rapid re-do's on a brand new US model. The car in it's current form will probably set sales records, so I doubt Honda will mess with the design after only one year.

The costs involved would probably be tremendous, and I don't think any benefits gained would be worth the cost to Honda at this point. But I have a strong feeling that there will be a dash redesign by the time the second generation is introduced.

Case closed ;)

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So any thoughts on the best way to let Honda know about our desire for improvements on the HR-V?.......other than hoping they read the forum, that is.

·
Registered
262 Posts
First off, let's calm down and discuss the dash like the civilized Honda enthusiasts that we are.

That said, for me personally, I had no complaints about the dash. The passenger-side row of vents is more pleasing to my eye than a sea of plastic. As a male driver, and one who takes frequent road trips, I found storage to be good. My CR-Z doesn't have drink holders in the door, so I was pleased to find them in the HR-V. The cubby space below the center console would be perfect for phones/wallet and the space under the arm rest is fine for loose items. Specifically talking about the EX and EX-L, the dash, infotainment and HVAC controls are clean and minimal.

Lastly, it is easy for us to look at something and criticize it on the surface, but has anyone taken apart the dash to see what's behind there yet? Maybe there just isn't space for extra cubbies. I personally don't believe Honda would have purposefully left out storage if there was room for more, they have always been leaders in interior packaging.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts