Honda HR-V Forum banner

A "new to me" HR-V

10K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Ron92646 
#1 ·
Glad to have found this forum! I just bought a 2018 HR-V EXL-Navi a couple of days ago and am settling in. Background: I saw these on the road when they 1st came out and thought it would make a great "downsize" from my 2007 CRV one day when the kid goes off to college...but I didn't expect to be in one quite so soon. Had just put $4,000 into the CRV - a baby at only 137K - so that I (or daughter) could have it for another 5 years or so. Then she totaled it.

I took that as the universe's sign that I needed to go ahead and get the HR-V and here I am. I have a crystal black pearl 2018 with only 8,500 miles and 2+ years on warranty. First question: does anyone know if the window tinting was standard on this? It's pretty dark and a big adjustment in gloomy Seattle. Not sure I love it.

Thanks!

#2 ·
The EXL comes with tinted glass in the rear, and a little bit on the side windows. It’s possible it’s been tinted again, and you could take that off. The standard tinting from Honda isn’t bad at all , no matter what the light situation.

#6 ·
I think the EX models and above had the hatch and rear windows darkened (the glass is dyed or something like that)- I've read it is not exactly the same as tint. If your front windows are dark- that is an aftermarket tint.
The new 2019 Sport & LX models are not tinted - I assume the same for the previous years LX as well.

#8 ·
No manufacture tints the front windows, in a shade that would be considered tint. Because it’s illegal in some states. Most SUV manufacturers will sell or supply an option to tint the rear doors and rear window, it’s usually labeled as an option called “ privacy glass “....bottom line: If your front windows are the same tint shade as the rear, that is an aftermarket tint film that’s been put on those front windows.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Glad to have found this forum! I just bought a 2018 HR-V EXL-Navi a couple of days ago and am settling in. Background: I saw these on the road when they 1st came out and thought it would make a great "downsize" from my 2007 CRV one day when the kid goes off to college...but I didn't expect to be in one quite so soon. Had just put $4,000 into the CRV - a baby at only 137K - so that I (or daughter) could have it for another 5 years or so. Then she totaled it.

I took that as the universe's sign that I needed to go ahead and get the HR-V and here I am. I have a crystal black pearl 2018 with only 8,500 miles and 2+ years on warranty. First question: does anyone know if the window tinting was standard on this? It's pretty dark and a big adjustment in gloomy Seattle. Not sure I love it.

Thanks!
I live in Southern Nevada An purchased a 2018 HR-V new an tinted windows didn’t come standard.

#17 · (Edited)
Did you buy the car new? If used, the previous owner could have removed any darkened windows. The 2017 & 2018 HR-V's are basically the same ( except for some different exterior colors) and both the EX & EX-L models were advertised as having privacy glass in the rear.

Note: Privacy glass is not the same as tint, looks like tint, but not the same.

LX models do not have privacy glass.

#20 ·
An LX does not have any tint. Figure 175 to 200 to tint it. Use a high-quality till like 3m or lumbar and either do 35% or 20%. Both allow you to see out of the car at night, 35% is about what most of the high-end car makers do.

#21 ·
I'm in California so I was thinking of the three rear windows at 35 and the two front at 45. CA has laws that the front windows shouldn't have any tint, but I think if they are lighter (are reasonable at 45) than the rears, that the police probably won't mind. I'm sure a good local window tint shop can educate me on what in reality the Police will let you by with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.