Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to have found this forum! I just bought a 2018 HR-V EXL-Navi a couple of days ago and am settling in. Background: I saw these on the road when they 1st came out and thought it would make a great "downsize" from my 2007 CRV one day when the kid goes off to college...but I didn't expect to be in one quite so soon. Had just put $4,000 into the CRV - a baby at only 137K - so that I (or daughter) could have it for another 5 years or so. Then she totaled it.

I took that as the universe's sign that I needed to go ahead and get the HR-V and here I am. I have a crystal black pearl 2018 with only 8,500 miles and 2+ years on warranty. First question: does anyone know if the window tinting was standard on this? It's pretty dark and a big adjustment in gloomy Seattle. Not sure I love it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
The EXL comes with tinted glass in the rear, and a little bit on the side windows. It’s possible it’s been tinted again, and you could take that off. The standard tinting from Honda isn’t bad at all , no matter what the light situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Glen! Yeah, I suspect this is an after-market tint. I'll see how I feel about it in a month or so and worst case I can have it removed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought all HR--V's had factory tinting in the rear & both rear windows?
Yeah, from my research online they do have a little tinting. But this one has front windows as well (nothing on windshield of course) and it all seems a bit darker than others I've seen on the road. Just curious...

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think the EX models and above had the hatch and rear windows darkened (the glass is dyed or something like that)- I've read it is not exactly the same as tint. If your front windows are dark- that is an aftermarket tint.
The new 2019 Sport & LX models are not tinted - I assume the same for the previous years LX as well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think the reason why Honda does not tint the front side windows, is that it is either unsafe or illegal in some areas. I like mine..it improves security. Does the tinting on the front side windows look the same as the rear windows?

·
Registered
521 Posts
No manufacture tints the front windows, in a shade that would be considered tint. Because it’s illegal in some states. Most SUV manufacturers will sell or supply an option to tint the rear doors and rear window, it’s usually labeled as an option called “ privacy glass “....bottom line: If your front windows are the same tint shade as the rear, that is an aftermarket tint film that’s been put on those front windows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad to have found this forum! I just bought a 2018 HR-V EXL-Navi a couple of days ago and am settling in. Background: I saw these on the road when they 1st came out and thought it would make a great "downsize" from my 2007 CRV one day when the kid goes off to college...but I didn't expect to be in one quite so soon. Had just put $4,000 into the CRV - a baby at only 137K - so that I (or daughter) could have it for another 5 years or so. Then she totaled it.

I took that as the universe's sign that I needed to go ahead and get the HR-V and here I am. I have a crystal black pearl 2018 with only 8,500 miles and 2+ years on warranty. First question: does anyone know if the window tinting was standard on this? It's pretty dark and a big adjustment in gloomy Seattle. Not sure I love it.

Thanks!
I live in Southern Nevada An purchased a 2018 HR-V new an tinted windows didn’t come standard.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Aren't your rear hatch window and rear windows darker than the front two windows? I have a 2017 EX & that was standard. I had my two front windows tinted to match the rear windows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
None of my windows of my 2018 HR-V didn’t come standard An didn’t have agency tint them. I had them tinted with a outside business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the last time none of my windows in my 2018 Honda HR-V had tinted glass an certainly not back rear window. I think I know what I have. I also inquired at dealer when purchasing an no windows came tinted.

·
Registered
497 Posts
For the last time none of my windows in my 2018 Honda HR-V had tinted glass an certainly not back rear window. I think I know what I have. I also inquired at dealer when purchasing an no windows came tinted.
Did you buy the car new? If used, the previous owner could have removed any darkened windows. The 2017 & 2018 HR-V's are basically the same ( except for some different exterior colors) and both the EX & EX-L models were advertised as having privacy glass in the rear.

Note: Privacy glass is not the same as tint, looks like tint, but not the same.

LX models do not have privacy glass.

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts
Factory privacy glass is usually smoked glass. Can't remove the tint without replacing the glass.

I would not trust whatever the dealer tells me. If it is truly an EX, I hope they didn't charged her for the rear tint.

Doesn't mattered what year. EX and above always come with privacy rear glass standard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts