Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove HRV 2018 and Civic 2010 on consecutive days with almost same weather conditions and felt as AC of HRV is less efficient compared to even civic 2010 as while running AC of Civic I had to turn of the ac off and on as it used to become little too cold inside but I didn't have to do that while driving civic. Note I kept the temperature to minimum on HRV on driving side while not using sync. button and fan speed max. both in hrv and civic. What you people think? thanks

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
The HRV has the weakest a/c that I've ever owned. If it sits out in the parking lot under the sun in Florida in August, it won't cool down for 5 to 7 miles, and by then I'm home…My accords and my civics never had this problem. I had the system checked and it's operating normally according to the dealer it's just weak.

Reactions: Phalkon30

·
Registered
998 Posts
But the heater works great in the summer! Ha. I’m in Virginia and A/C is just as good as the other cars I have had. Not as good as my Yaris but HRV is a larger cabin.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The A/C in this car is adequate if you give it sufficient time to cool the car down. If you park out in the 100F sun all day and have a 3-mile commute like my coworker, yeah, you're going to be underwhelmed. Park in the shade or give it long enough to circulate the air and it's fine.

Once cooled down, the A/C has no problem keeping it cool. I went on 8-hour road trips through 100F heat with two others and we were perfectly comfortable with the vents set to panel & floor, fan speed 2, temp all the way cold, and air recirc off (LX with manual HVAC controls).

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
The A/C in this car is adequate if you give it sufficient time to cool the car down. If you park out in the 100F sun all day and have a 3-mile commute like my coworker, yeah, you're going to be underwhelmed. Park in the shade or give it long enough to circulate the air and it's fine.
I realize all that, the point was the civic did it fine.... I could leave it out 100° with no problem and by the end of my street It was blowing cold and a mile or two later, ot was comfortable… The HRV won't do that. And Yeah it's a bigger space to cool, but they should've taken that into account in the design parameters. So I ride 5 miles home with the windows down for 3 1/2 miles, until it's blowing cold air. It blows hot for about 3 to 5 minutes.

It needs a bigger compressor, however it can't really have one, because the engine is so small, so again we're back to the performance. It needs the civic turbo engine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's a compromise that I'm sure was considered, given the target price point of the car and the capabilities of the engine. A larger compressor and/or evap core and/or higher CFM blower would take up space, use more energy, and cost more.

Given the current performance, I'm not sure I'd like a more powerful A/C. Having the A/C on requires higher RPM shifts and the car is slower off the line. If the A/C was like the one in my F250 that could **** near freeze your face off after 2 minutes, then I'm sure the HR-V's 0-60 time would also be very close to the quarter-mile time.

I agree the 1.5T would be a good option. But then the HR-V's price and market share would probably overlap too much with the CR-V for Honda's liking. The HR-V is an entry-level CUV designed to meet a certain price bracket, and just a taller Fit after all, while the CR-V is a taller Civic. I suppose Honda's reasoning would be, "Want more power and better A/C? Get a CR-V."

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Except my buddy just bought a new kona for his daughter that has 175 hp and cools down immediately. The car is 23,700,and I believe one of the moderators here owns a kona so you could ask him.

And saying you should upgrade to the car above it for basic things that are supposed to work right , does not make sound marketing or sound business.

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
I never had any issue with HRV's A/C. To me Kona's A/C works just as well. HRV was the first car I had with auto climate control and the A/C never gotten too cold like my past Hondas. Maybe some people are not used to A/C getting turned off when set temp is reached? Never gets too cold.

Check the A/C coolant. Someone here had low coolant issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have noticed the AC is weaker than the 2005 Civic I replaced. I thought maybe it's a larger cabin to cool, but it does seem inadequate, taking longer to cool. Not ideal. Seems like it's just a common thing or a cost-cutting measure.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The HR-V A/C is the worst of any car I have owned, including many Hondas. It is barely adequate even in mildly hot weather. The heat in winter is no better. I just changed the thermostat from 180 to a 195 to see if that helps.

·
Registered
260 Posts
a larger cabin and they dont have any provisons for air ducts/vents to the back -all the cooling, and heating, comes from the front dashboard - so it is an inefficient layout.

I did add water wetter to the coolant system- and I did notice the heating system operates better (did this in my other cars, and it does work), I used Royal Purple's Purple Ice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As for me living here in Hawaii where the temps in a parked car gets up over 100 degrees everyday I have no problems with my AC. I put it on auto an within 2 to 3 minutes the inside of the car feels very cool.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Must have something to do with your air in Florida Glen. Don't they put water into it? What do you guys call it? Humidity?

Yesterday it was 93 here in Denver. I purposely left the car in the sun. It was like opening a blast furnace when I got in. I opened all the windows, turned on the A/C and drove to a store 2 miles away. A block out of my house I closed the windows. Halfway there the car was cool and comfortable. I think we had 10-15% humidity at the time.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Seems some of us perceive it, some dont. All I know is I have to keep my windows down for several miles and have hot air blowing in my face to get the car cooled down, where as all my other cars , all I did was drop the windows, drive 100 yards to expel the air in the car, and then roll them back up. I can't do that in the HRV.

Again it doesn't have anything to do with the larger cabin, etc., it has to do with the fact that the car does not blow cold through the vent anywhere near as fast as any other car Ive had.. It blows warm for longer on startup.Car has been completely checked out by the dealer, and is set at Max cool.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm in Colorado same as Dammit. We have had a few weeks of high 90's - low humidity. I usually keep the sun/moon roof in vented position and try to park in a shaded area when possible. The A/C seems more than adequate to me. But then again I am not a big fan of A/C and try to use the fan with outside air intake when it is tolerable out. I do not like frigid cold A/C. So this may really be subjective.

The HR-V's A/C is better functioning than that in my 2010 Fit and way better than my old Subaru.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Except my buddy just bought a new kona for his daughter that has 175 hp and cools down immediately. The car is 23,700,and I believe one of the moderators here owns a kona so you could ask him.

And saying you should upgrade to the car above it for basic things that are supposed to work right , does not make sound marketing or sound business.
Then perhaps a different vehicle would be best for you in your environment. Heck, the new Nissan Kicks blows the HR-V out of the water in terms of features for the money. I kinda knew what I was getting into with the HR-V, so it's not too disappointing. To be honest, I'm not impressed by the car, but I'm pleased with it. The fact that I dented the hood while leaning on it, dented the roof while leaning on it (and I'm not a big guy), the mid-2000s-era styling, the underwhelming stereo, lackluster seating comfort, bouncy suspension, random broken interior bits, and trivial rattling noises are all things that I'm sure others would rant and rave to the moon and back.

But I chose the Honda over a Hyundai, Nissan, Ford, or anything else because although the Honda is slow, underpowered, and lacking in features, I can pretty well guess that it'll be a cheap and reliable transportation appliance that will go the distance with minimal maintenance and repairs. And so far, that's holding true. 52,000 miles and it doesn't leak a drop, has only been back for a warranty repair once (blend door stuck), and has only had one (very minor) leaking shock absorber outside of normal maintenance. Compare that to say, my coworkers Volkswagen Tiguan, which I didn't even realize he owned, since he has service loaners for a week every one to two months. Or the Nissan Rogues with the imploding CVTs, or the Subarus that burn more oil than my old Ford 6.9L IDI diesel.

On a lighter note, judging by the amount of rattling noises I'm getting, I'm sure the HR-V will fall apart around the engine and transmission, like most any other Honda. Neighbor of mine's daily driver is a 2004 Honda Civic that he bought new with 16 miles on it, has 320,000 miles now, everything works (no electrical/mechanical problems), but the interior is falling apart. And that's just one example of probably hundreds that I've seen when I spun wrenches for a living. As for the stereo, I went from "it randomly stops working" in my truck, to "it plays music through all 4 speakers consistently", so I suppose I'm quite pleased there!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
in no way should my comments about the ac be confused for my genuine like for this product. Nothing in the class looks better, the interior is ingenious and overall build quality is B+.....and the power and ac is not a dael breaker. im on a lease and im sure in 2.5 years, hnda will have addressed the problem. The entire class of mini suv's is getting better every year.

love the look

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have the grey interior and wondering if the lighter color actually does keep the car cooler. That was one of the reasons I chose it.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
I don't usually use the AC unless it's in the mid 90's outside or I'm driving with someone else (wife, daughter, etc). The AC usually gets so cold that I have to turn the temp up from 72ish to 75ish. Mine only takes about a mile to cool off inside but I have noticed that it cools off a lot quicker if I park in the shade or in a parking structure.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts